"Rants and Raves" Poll

cnoe

"Rants and Raves" Forum on Mooneyspace?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mooneyspace have a "Rants and Raves" Forum for political and religious discussion?

• Yes, I think it's a good idea.
    • No, I think Mooneyspace should be aviation-related only.

I like using the Unread when viewing the forum in a browser. If the forum software would support permanently hiding a forum, like you can permanently hide a user, I'd be all for it.  But since I won't be participating, I'd like to be able to hide it from the feed.

• Like 4

1) It is a challenge to behave appropriately even when we are all on the same team.

2) we have important topics to cover for mooney related topics, and aviation related topics.

3) as soon as we get outside these narrow topics the wheels fall off and the thread gets shut down.

4) It is challenging to not be misunderstood.

5) It is challenging when somebody writes something accidently hurtful.

6) There are several places I go for the non-aviation stuff. Why would I want to go here for that?

7) We get several new people each week joining us here to learn something about Mooney ownership.  For this we are special.  Are we looking to increase our membership with non-aviation, non-mooney interests?

8) We have enough hurdles to get over as we are from different parts of the world, different countries, different orientations, different age groups, different economics... why would we want to add more stress to an already stressful situation?

9) What is the upside to adding this section? The Timmy thread made us all look like neanderthals.  Even those that didn't take part in it. Guilty by association...

10) Maybe I misunderstood something.  But it sounds like a couple of guys sitting around a table deciding that New Coke could easily replace the standard old Coke.  Only this time the company has asked the customers how they feel about the situation...

I'm still a fan of the old Coke.

As of yesterday, I have kept up reading every post put up here. The only things I have not clicked on are the endless photo streams that appear when people post their photos. This change would give me the opportunity to do something else...

Some wise person once said, all good things must come to an end...

On that note, I voted to stay the same old MooneySpace we were yesterday.  Different than all the other places available on the web.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, cnoe said:

I know this isn't a democracy, but I'm hoping that opinions matter.

This exists and has for about 10 years now, called Mooney Talk. Hosted by Javier Henderson, it is a repository for all opinions on subjects other than Mooneys, I left the list because what started out as discussion of opinion, turned into downright hate at times.

http://lists.aviating.com/mailman/listinfo/mooney-talk

• Like 1

This exists and has for about 10 years now, called Mooney Talk. Hosted by Javier Henderson, it is a repository for all opinions on subjects other than Mooneys, I left the list because what started out as discussion of opinion, turned into downright hate at times.
http://lists.aviating.com/mailman/listinfo/mooney-talk

Exactly why I left Pilots of America. The forum attitude changed and it carried over to the main threads. To the point where if you posted a basic question, you almost certainly were challenged on your manhood, your piloting skills and the looks of your woman. Hope it doesn't happen here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I voted against, and would likely leave MooneySpace if such a change were made, just as I did POA. It's nice to have a refuge from all the political BS and name calling that go on in bulletin boards, newspaper comment sections, Facebook, etc. And, after all, this site is called MooneySpace.

The Vans Air Force site has a strict policy prohibiting any posts that are non-RV related, and those that turn up are unceremoniously removed by the moderator. It keeps the site focused and valuable, in my opinion.

• Like 8

Hello,  I know that I am absolutely  brand new to this forum but I am a moderator on a different non aviation related forum that has +/- 75,000 members.  We have a Politics and Religion section on it and I probably spend 90% of my time cleaning up the mess from that section.  IMHO you are asking for trouble. 

• Like 2

Welcome TK sorry your first post was here!! Lol. We have some really neat people on these forums. Some have strong opinions. 

I think if it gives people to opportunity to keep the aviation stuff cleaner I might be for it. 

However, personal attacks and pictures of nasty things should not be tolerated. Craig our admin has done a great job in the past locking up threads when things get close to being out of hand. 

Its a free country, with some amazing people. I'm glad those are passionate about what they say. That's what makes this place great. I think it's neat to here what others want to say, but there is time and a place for it. 

We will see how long it takes for Craig to "take action"

-Matt

• Like 1

I voted "nay", too, but don't see this as something to leave the forum over. I just won't be visiting that forum. If a member spills his or her political venom over to one of the other forums, I will block him or her and go on with my day.  

I agree with what you're saying but the problem several of us have is that we keep up with Mooneyspace on our mobile devices through an app that doesn't allow us to easily filter the discussions based on which forum they're posted in; we look at all posts as they roll in. Sitting at my PC it's easier to avoid the crap.

The new forum wouldn't keep me from checking in occasionally but it would likely lessen my participation (which some of you may actually cheer about).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I agree with others that it is just asking for trouble. There's a reason they say "Don't talk politics and religion at the dinner table." This reminds me of last November when I went to AZ for my Dad's 75th birthday. I was at my parents house before going over to one of my sister's homes for the party. My dad and I were discussing politics and my mom chimed in with "Please don't talk politics at your sister's tonight" because she knows there are some very strong opinions on both sides. (Six siblings and we don't all agree on everything) Everyone knows the other's opinions, and really no amount of debate (civil or otherwise) will probably change it so there's no point to hurting friendships over it.

I think that what will end up happening is that things will be said in that forum and even if those are not shared elsewhere it will affect the way some think of others and interact on the rest of the forum. It may even have someone ignoring a thread in the rest of the site or blocking a user that they would not have blocked otherwise. I think of all the advice and knowledge I have received here and am grateful for it. What if I had offended someone in the rant and rave forum and they blocked me, then later I had an actual question/problem I needed help with and that person who had an answer that could help never saw my post because they had blocked me? I guess then that would be my loss, but it would also be a loss to the rest of the community here. I have had many questions resolved by searching old posts (in Google put in mooneyspace followed by your search and it works great) and some of those old posts would likely have been different had there been the rant and rave section all along.

This will likely go the way of some of the other forums where the loudest and most obnoxious drive away the others and the usefulness diminishes. There's a reason I spend most of my time here than the other aviation forums, it's just been a good community.

• Like 3

This is the very reason I'm not on POA, the PurpleBoard and any number of other "Aviation" themed forums. It gets to be a group of people trolling each other. And soon after, there isn't anything of value left.  Just in the last month we've had at least a couple of new members specifically state how different this forum is from POA, and how much more useful and friendly it is here. 

Let's keep it that way.

• Like 7

Something has fallen out of the poll...

the current results are 53:4

53 oppose the forum because the content is hurtful to the basis of MS...

3 want the forum so they can more easily ignore the content that is hurtful to the basis of MS...

1 wants the forum to... fill in your favorite reason here.... half of this post will probably be one related to presidential flying TFRs. Which are expensive, tax payer tri-partisan annoyances, no matter who is in office.

unfortunately, pushing the ignore button for some users hides the 90% of helpful information that the individual often brings.

+1 for following the guidance... being respectful of all.  (Not always an easy task.)

Paying somebody to be a moderator would probably require somebody to read every post, every day. That would cost more than some want to afford.

Try to be self limiting, it can save a lot of money this way... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam