63-C-

Mooney crash, pilot walks away

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

Has anyone noticed CO from  30 to 50-60 during climb? My last couple flghts i finally broight my sensorcon and it shows CO in climb and zero in cruise. It was concerning just after departure to see 60 and its 200-1/2 everywhere for 200 miles.  Whats going on?

I get the same thing sometimes but I think it is dependent on the direction of the winds. I have checked everything and do not think it is related to a leak because there are climbs where I only see 2-3 in the climb and sometimes I see 40-50. Once in cruise and leaned it drops to zero.  I haven't seen much above that because if it starts climbing up I open the vents and it starts dropping back down. I have also seen it in descent as well. 

I have wondered if it is the direction my exhaust is pointed but I haven't seen pics of another with the same exhaust pipe to evaluate that. 

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

@Skates97, post a picture of your exhaust! Somebody has one like it. I'll post my exhaust tomorrow. 

Just now, Hank said:

@Skates97, post a picture of your exhaust! Somebody has one like it. I'll post my exhaust tomorrow. 

I keep forgetting to take one... I will try to remember the next time I'm out there. I have found a few odd things on the plane in the past year so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't turned the right direction. 

On 2/9/2018 at 12:20 PM, skydvrboy said:

I'm ordering one of these today.  Wife and I went flying last night and after a 30 minute flight both had headaches.  Cabin heat was off and all vents were closed.  I have a brand new complete exhaust system on the plane, so I wouldn't think CO would be an issue, but that is WAY too big of a coincidence to risk another flight without a CO detector.

FYI... the discount code airplane2017 still works, 20% off.

They must have shut it down - didn't' work for me.  

I stand corrected!!!  It was a case of EBCAK worked and purchased!!

@Skates97, no photo today. Widespread low IFR kept me from bringing it home. While it's always pkssible to take off, not sure I could have landed anywhere at all (ceilings ranged from 300-500', weren't forecast to improve significantly for the duration of the TAF).

26 minutes ago, Hank said:

@Skates97, no photo today. Widespread low IFR kept me from bringing it home. While it's always pkssible to take off, not sure I could have landed anywhere at all (ceilings ranged from 300-500', weren't forecast to improve significantly for the duration of the TAF).

No worries, I'm probably not going to get out to my hangar until Saturday.

Any CO detector that doesn't sound a loud alarm is worthless in my book. I had an exchanger crack coming out of Napa night, IFR. Had the alarm not be blaring in my ear there is little doubt I wouldn't have happened to notice a little dot turn brown in the dark. This is what I use. Only $25 and works great...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y6V5CI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Robert

On 2/14/2018 at 6:06 PM, RobertGary1 said:

Any CO detector that doesn't sound a loud alarm is worthless in my book. I had an exchanger crack coming out of Napa night, IFR. Had the alarm not be blaring in my ear there is little doubt I wouldn't have happened to notice a little dot turn brown in the dark. This is what I use. Only $25 and works great...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y6V5CI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Robert

Robert,

Thanks for sharing.  I think that kiddie is great protection, I wish I had that last year.  But being a home detector it is limited to being a catastrophic alarm. 

In it's description it states, " it is designed to sound at 85 decibels at 10 feet when it detects 70 ppm (parts per million) of CO for 60 to 240 minutes, 150 ppm for 10 to 50 minutes, or 400 ppm for 4 to 15 minutes.:

I'm positive that would have would have saved me.  But one nice feature of a high resolution detector (Sensorcon or similar) is detecting a problem well before it's an emergency.  Many exhaust failures happen slowly, over many hours.  It would be nice finding out early on.

Not long after the Sensorcon discount went into effect a gentleman on beechtalk  posted what he found on the first flight with the Sensorcon.  It was a 2008 G36 with 1100hrs TT.  He noticed a rise of 4-7ppm when the heater was on.  The highest reading he saw was 13ppm.  He pulled the muffler and found this. 

5a865adaba309_A36Muffler.JPG.2fa3d58ad746272cdae703923e6822c9.JPG

These detectors are a great tool.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

On 2/2/2018 at 11:37 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I've been looking for a good place for my SensorCon in my M20K. Last week on the way to Vegas with not much to do for five hours at 12K, I discovered that the clip on the back of the SensorCon is a perfect match for a standard GoPro mount. 

If I want to read the number, I have to take it in my hand, but if the alarm goes off, it's right by my ear.

Thanks Dan, for turning us all on to these units.

IMG_1394.thumb.JPG.395d0aa012e1ba24e2c494f53fa36c38.JPGIMG_1398.thumb.JPG.242c2d117a35b302330cafbb4ca1297f.JPG

I just noticed this...  Paul might need to win a CB award.  If I'm not mistaken his "GoPro mount" is actually the top of the display box the GoPro comes in.:)

I may or may not have duct taped one of those to my step once.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

If I'm not mistaken his "GoPro mount" is actually the top of the display box the GoPro comes in.:)

Yep, correct. 

Update... My Sensorcon showed up yesterday so I went flying today.  Taxi readings got to 10 ppm, takeoff went up to 22 ppm, cruise dropped down to 8.  I turned on the heater and it dropped to 4 ppm, so that was providing fresh air.  Cruised around for 45 minutes with no change.  Then, on final I noticed it alarming so I hit the max button so I could focus on landing and check it later.  It topped out at 46 ppm.  All of this is with a brand new exhaust system installed in November.  None of the readings put me in any kind of danger zone, but it would be nice to find out where it's getting in the plane.  Any ideas?

One thing for sure, now that I have the monitor, I won't fly again without it!

6 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

Update... My Sensorcon showed up yesterday so I went flying today.  Taxi readings got to 10 ppm, takeoff went up to 22 ppm, cruise dropped down to 8.  I turned on the heater and it dropped to 4 ppm, so that was providing fresh air.  Cruised around for 45 minutes with no change.  Then, on final I noticed it alarming so I hit the max button so I could focus on landing and check it later.  It topped out at 46 ppm.  All of this is with a brand new exhaust system installed in November.  None of the readings put me in any kind of danger zone, but it would be nice to find out where it's getting in the plane.  Any ideas?

I also fly an F and have the Sensorcon.  The only time I have ever seen numbers like you is while taxiing in formation with the door open and the cool scoop out the window.  On a normal day I see 2-4 while taxiing and 0-1 while inflight.  I would check for gaps in the firewall and the tape along the floor in the foot wells.

• Like 2

I’ve seen up to 50 while doing a run up with the door open and the wind just right. Taxing with the door open 10-25 not unusual. In flight over the last 6 months I see 0-2, mostly zero. Heat on has no effect, still mostly zero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

That's my experience, too.   It alarms in landing configuration sometimes, and sometimes in a reduced-power descent.   And not usually in either case, just sometimes.   I've been taping up holes in the floor and checking the belly panels but haven't found anything obvious.   I just changed out the heater scat hose, but haven't flown it enough to know whether that will make a difference (it had some small holes in it).

About four months ago I bought a Sensorcon and mounted below my throttle quadrant. It’s easy to see and still out of the way. Then I had the opportunity to beta test a new product from Aithre. It is an Carbon Monoxide tester that mounts right to your headset and has a speaker that is right in the ear cup. I’ve flown three times with it over the last two weeks and is reading pretty consistent with the Sensorcon. aad481d7acc564acfee3c5b80166a401.jpg4271dfb51cfcfaaed39f4f312d10b7a3.jpgafb649a8dbf31f63ac5232567e719b6a.jpg

If anyone has any questions about the Aithre you can contact them or myself. I’ll be testing it and their upgrades till they are set on a production product. https://m.facebook.com/aithreaviation/?tsid=0.24166148119411346&source=result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That headset getup looks interesting, but isn't comoatible with my Halos.

I've been debating between the front of my quadrant where yours is,  just below it and to the right.

• Like 1

That headset getup looks interesting, but isn't comoatible with my Halos.
I've been debating between the front of my quadrant where yours is,  just below it and to the right.

Yeah the headsets they have available right now are for the BOSE and I think the lightspeed. I suggested they go with a remote unit that is Bluetooth capable and can connect to my audio panel and everyone in the cockpit has the ability to hear the alert. And it wouldn’t have to be so small. But it does work really well and is effective of alerting me of the presence of carbon monoxide. I believe they have a few more prototypes planned while we do the testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Robert,

Thanks for sharing.  I think that kiddie is great protection, I wish I had that last year.  But being a home detector it is limited to being a catastrophic alarm. 

In it's description it states, " it is designed to sound at 85 decibels at 10 feet when it detects 70 ppm (parts per million) of CO for 60 to 240 minutes, 150 ppm for 10 to 50 minutes, or 400 ppm for 4 to 15 minutes.:

I'm positive that would have would have saved me.  But one nice feature of a high resolution detector (Sensorcon or similar) is detecting a problem well before it's an emergency.  Many exhaust failures happen slowly, over many hours.  It would be nice finding out early on.

Not long after the Sensorcon discount went into effect a gentleman on beechtalk  posted what he found on the first flight with the Sensorcon.  It was a 2008 G36 with 1100hrs TT.  He noticed a rise of 4-7ppm when the heater was on.  The highest reading he saw was 13ppm.  He pulled the muffler and found this. 

5a865adaba309_A36Muffler.JPG.2fa3d58ad746272cdae703923e6822c9.JPG

These detectors are a great tool.

Cheers,

Dan

How many people on this site actually pressure check their mufflers during Annual with the heat jacket opened?

Clarence

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

How many people on this site actually pressure check their mufflers during Annual with the heat jacket opened?

<raises hand>

It's tempting to skip it, because it's a PITA to get the jacket off the muffler down in the lower cowling.  But, with stubby screwdrivers and patience, it's possible to slide the jacket sideways, just about completely off the muffler itself, and then do the pressure check.  Our mechanic taught us this trick at our first annual 14 years ago, and we've been doing it every year since.

• Like 1

Saw this picture on Flickr.  The long exhaust caught my eye, after reading this thread.  Not sure the purpose here unless it is supposed to keep hot gas from obscuring the camera when it looks forward and across?

While it does look clumsy, it does make me wonder if there is a technical reason to not have the belly exhaust pipe on most GA?  Or just cost?

-dan  

T206 takeoff Chris Kennedy Flickr.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dan at FUL said:

Saw this picture on Flickr.  The long exhaust caught my eye, after reading this thread.  Not sure the purpose here unless it is supposed to keep hot gas from obscuring the camera when it looks forward and across?

While it does look clumsy, it does make me wonder if there is a technical reason to not have the belly exhaust pipe on most GA?  Or just cost?

-dan  

T206 takeoff Chris Kennedy Flickr.jpg

Every time I've seen those in the past (usually on C-172s) it's been for a camera, either in the floor or wherever.   It adds weight and drag and probably a little more backpressure, so those are all disadvantages.

This airplane also has the storm hatch in the window behind the pilot, plus the gimballed camera on the side, so it evidently gets used for photography/imaging a lot.

• Like 1