Mooney crash, pilot walks away

63-C-

59 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Would like to know if calibrating would fix my unit as I get this about every hour of use. It will clear with turning it off and back on, but it makes me question its usefulness. Started doing this about 10 months after I bought it.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Out of warranty.

I don't know if calibration will fix it.  I just forwarded your photo and message to my contact at Sensorcon.  He isn't in their customer service dept but may have some ideas.   I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if calibration will fix it.  I just forwarded your photo and message to my contact at Sensorcon.  He isn't in their customer service dept but may have some ideas.   I'll keep you posted.
Cheers,
Dan

I’ve seen this error once as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Compare to Aeromedix...

I bought their CO sensor device a year or two prior to Dan’s disaster flight...

Their position on the sensor ‘wearing out’ was matched to the battery life of the device.

The device is on 24/7 so it is hard to save the battery longer than usual.

The particular model I have doesn’t show up on their website any longer, except briefly... a pic shows up, then fades to something else... reading their site, my model was replaced for something with replaceable batteries...?

http://www.aeromedix.com/safety-equipment/carbon-monoxide-detectors

I recommend staying with the heard... on this.  The device is important, has its limitations, and you can learn about those limitations or get answers from the rest of the MS heard. :)

Best regards,

-a-

I clip mine to the metal bracket for the sun visor - easily in view and otherwise out of the way. 

I’ve seen 40-60 ppm on the ground with the window and or door open. Definitely entraining exhaust.  Climb and cruise 0-1 ppm.  

• 3 weeks later...

Not a Mooney or even aircraft accident but relevant still.    We lost two gentlemen from our community this week to CO.  They were four wheeling in a side by side off road vehicle and had it buttoned up very tight to  keep warm.  Apparently they got stuck as a Son watched.  He hightailed it to the house to get the truck and when he returned they had both perished.   I didn't know them personally.   Prayers for the families.  

• Sad 1

Put that in the real life experience that you learn about by owning an old airplane...

And that little electric winch that is great at putting the plane back in the hangar was designed to pull ATVs out of whatever they got stuck in...

Prayers for the lost souls.

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Dang it, must have waited to late. Redoing my panel and adding a EDM 930 and was hoping to put a Guardian in but the code does not work today.

09F616C2-A833-4629-B42D-D4CED51709E7.jpeg

It does appear the discount is no longer available.  I will reach out to them to see if they will offer another discount.

Cheers,

Dan

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

This is my yearly bump to this thread, reminding you and your hanger neighbors to equip with a digital CO detector.  3 years ago right now I was in a medevac helicopter being airlifted to the Mayo Clinic as a result from my "off field" landing.  

Thanks to everyone here for the help spreading the word on CO.  The response has been remarkable, but there is still a lot of unequipped airplanes and pilots out there.  

Sensorcon is still offering a 20% discount on their detectors for pilots.  

www.sensorcon.com

20% Code: flysafe2019 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

This is my yearly bump to this thread, reminding you and your hanger neighbors to equip with a digital CO detector.  3 years ago right now I was in a medevac helicopter being airlifted to the Mayo Clinic as a result from my "off field" landing.  

Thanks to everyone here for the help spreading the word on CO.  The response has been remarkable, but there is still a lot of unequipped airplanes and pilots out there.  

Sensorcon is still offering a 20% discount on their detectors for pilots.  

www.sensorcon.com

20% Code: flysafe2019 

Cheers,

Dan

Welcome to another year of sunshine Dan.  Always happy to have you bump this thread every year.

I had an interesting alarm go off on my digital co monitor on the ground after fbo pre heat last week.  Noted on my 2020 flight thread. Very important piece of equipment.

• Thanks 1

Just a thought -  How much CO do we suck in if the rear baggage bulkhead is not sealed well? 

Just think- unless the main door seal and the baggage door seals are perfect they suck air out and the replacement air 

is sucked in USUALLY through the rear bulkhead unsealed holes.

Maybe back where the exhaust gases flow along the bottom of the fuselage?

Just thinkin'

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cliffy said:

Just a thought -  How much CO do we suck in if the rear baggage bulkhead is not sealed well? 

Just think- unless the main door seal and the baggage door seals are perfect they suck air out and the replacement air 

Just thinkin'

I think this is one of the many ways CO can get into the cabin.  It may not be a large danger but it may explain some extra fatigue when you get to your destination. 

It's important to think about how an open side window, leaky door seal, etc. effects the pressure differential of the cabin to areas around it.  Like you said a leaky door seal will slightly lower the pressure in the cabin and possibly pull CO rich air from the tail, a leaky firewall or wheel well, etc.  So if you suspect CO it's best to open vents that you know have clean air and add positive pressure to the cabin.   

Cheers,

Dan

22 hours ago, cliffy said:

Just thinkin'

Somebody recently reported finding the bundle of wires that comes in from the back of the cabin had become unsealed after some maintenance/installation of another device...

So... as long as there is a slight vacuum in the cabin... CO can be pulled in from just about anywhere the cabin has an opening...

+1 having Dan around to explain these devices... some experiences are near impossible to get first hand.  It is much better to learn this one from Dan himself!  :)

So again... if your ship doesn’t have a CO monitor... Valentine’s Day is coming... get a gift for your M20-girlfriend.... use the code get the discount!

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

well - after reading this thread beginning to end I became completely paranoid, as you do, and immediately purchased a sensorcon detector from amazon to replace my ASA dot.

then I went flying to today and I'm happy to report that, over 4 flights, I got 10-11ppm on initial climb (to 3000ft) and 0-1ppm in cruise with heater on, both floor as well as windshield defrost.

now the detector lives in the plane. i'll still keep the dot (i have 3 years worth of them) as backup - but glad to have a reliable and more accurate safety device on board.

• Like 6

• 11 months later...

The yearly bump reminding everyone to get CO protection!  4 years ago today I became the luckiest man alive. 

Sensorcon is continuing to support us pilots with a discount.  

The newest 20% off code:      Aircraft2021

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 8

My co-pilot keeps an eye on the Sensorcon.   Great thing to have!   In the air it always reads 0 before about 15 minutes after takeoff.  If it ever doesn't I'll know something is up.  Thanks for keeping this thread alive Dan!

-Fred

20180304_140202.jpg

Edited by 0TreeLemur
added photo
  • Thanks 1