Mooney crash, pilot walks away

63-C-

Dan, your accident has touched lives all around the world! As for myself? As soon as I read your story on Mooney space, I ran out and got a highly sensitive electronic CO detector. It resides next to the trim indicator in my f model.

I cannot thank you enough for sharing your experience!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have posted the link to the group buy to many Beech, Piper, and Cessna owners. My friend bought a Cherokee 140 and before we flew to MD to pick his plane up, he bought one. On the first flight, his CO detector was going off. We landed in NC and its been there since. The A&P attests there is nothing wrong with the exhaust but hes got 150ppm+ coming from one of the vents at the moment. He's about to throw a new exhaust on it and finally get it home. That little $90 device probably saved his life.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cnoe said:

Thank you again Dan! Your experience (and your willingness to share it) has undoubtedly made flying a safer proposition for many many pilots. I purchased a Sensorcon immediately after your accident, well before the “discount” was negotiated. And I use it on every flight. I wonder if Sensorcon would divulge exactly how many have taken advantage of the offer; that would be cool to know.

Cnoe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They should send Dan a salesman of the year trophy.  I bet he’s sold a third of their units .

I bought  one 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 5

On 2/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, cnoe said:

Thank you again Dan! Your experience (and your willingness to share it) has undoubtedly made flying a safer proposition for many many pilots. I purchased a Sensorcon immediately after your accident, well before the “discount” was negotiated. And I use it on every flight. I wonder if Sensorcon would divulge exactly how many have taken advantage of the offer; that would be cool to know.

Cnoe

Cnoe,

Thank you! Your quick purchase and pirep is what got me to get in touch with Sensorcon. 

On 2/3/2018 at 10:43 PM, jetdriven said:

They should send Dan a salesman of the year trophy.  I bet he’s sold a third of their units .

I bought  one 

When I first contacted them about a discount I said I though I could get at least 15, maybe up to 25 to commit. The last I spoke with them there were something like 425 sold with that code. I know there were many more like @cnoe that purchased without a code.  It’s a great start. 

Unfortunately I’m not on their payroll:(

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Cnoe,

Thank you! Your quick purchase and pirep is what got me to get in touch with Sensorcon. 

When I first contacted them about a discount I said I though I could get at least 15, maybe up to 25 to commit. The last I spoke with them there were something like 425 sold with that code. I know there were many more like @cnoe that purchased without a code.  It’s a great start. 

Unfortunately I’m not on their payroll:(

Cheers,

Dan

Wow.

I'm ordering one of these today.  Wife and I went flying last night and after a 30 minute flight both had headaches.  Cabin heat was off and all vents were closed.  I have a brand new complete exhaust system on the plane, so I wouldn't think CO would be an issue, but that is WAY too big of a coincidence to risk another flight without a CO detector.

FYI... the discount code airplane2017 still works, 20% off.

Edited by skydvrboy
Discount Update
  • Like 4

On 2/9/2018 at 1:20 PM, skydvrboy said:

I'm ordering one of these today.  Wife and I went flying last night and after a 30 minute flight both had headaches.  Cabin heat was off and all vents were closed.  I have a brand new complete exhaust system on the plane, so I wouldn't think CO would be an issue, but that is WAY too big of a coincidence to risk another flight without a CO detector.

I’m glad you ordered one, Keep us updated on what you find. 

Cheers, 

Dan

Just ordered mine.  Don't need it for the new plane, but have several flights left this winter in the Mooney.  After reading this chain of emails, I was thinking about not having a detector in the plane all the way back from Florida last week.

Tom

Has anyone noticed CO from  30 to 50-60 during climb? My last couple flghts i finally broight my sensorcon and it shows CO in climb and zero in cruise. It was concerning just after departure to see 60 and its 200-1/2 everywhere for 200 miles.  Whats going on?

4 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Has anyone noticed CO from  30 to 50-60 during climb? My last couple flghts i finally broight my sensorcon and it shows CO in climb and zero in cruise. It was concerning just after departure to see 60 and its 200-1/2 everywhere for 200 miles.  Whats going on?

I typically only get up to about 3 when on the ground, depending on wind.  I have seen (on other planes) small leaks near the exhaust, and with the slightly different airflow during climb, leaking into the cabin.  Check the panel just to the right of the gear door to see if you can get better seal.  Also, a leaky exhaust stack, with less flow through the cowl, can cause a leak through some small leak in the firewall...for example, where the engine monitor harness is routed, since that is hard to seal.  The couple of times I ran into this, it was a surprising small leak in the exhaust and a second in the firewall....

11 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Mine's the other way around;   hardly anything. 0-7 or so, during cruise, then occasionally up to the 40s or so on descent or in landing config. 

I'm just finishing some work on my cowl which includes some exhaust adjustments and (soon) a new scat hose for the heater, and I'm curious to see whether it makes any difference or not.

I don’t think that’s uncommon Byron. I see numbers like that on the ground and climb-out sometimes depending on configuration. In cruise it always drops to 0-2. If I saw 100 I’d be watching it closely and at 200 I’d be looking to land promptly. These numbers aren’t out of line with various industrial exposure limits. OSHA has a 50ppm 8-hour limit and NIOSH has a ceiling of 200.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

I get the same thing sometimes but I think it is dependent on the direction of the winds. I have checked everything and do not think it is related to a leak because there are climbs where I only see 2-3 in the climb and sometimes I see 40-50. Once in cruise and leaned it drops to zero.  I haven't seen much above that because if it starts climbing up I open the vents and it starts dropping back down. I have also seen it in descent as well. 

I have wondered if it is the direction my exhaust is pointed but I haven't seen pics of another with the same exhaust pipe to evaluate that. 

Just now, Hank said:

@Skates97, post a picture of your exhaust! Somebody has one like it. I'll post my exhaust tomorrow. 

I keep forgetting to take one... I will try to remember the next time I'm out there. I have found a few odd things on the plane in the past year so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't turned the right direction. 

On 2/9/2018 at 12:20 PM, skydvrboy said:

They must have shut it down - didn't' work for me.  

I stand corrected!!!  It was a case of EBCAK worked and purchased!!

26 minutes ago, Hank said:

@Skates97, no photo today. Widespread low IFR kept me from bringing it home. While it's always pkssible to take off, not sure I could have landed anywhere at all (ceilings ranged from 300-500', weren't forecast to improve significantly for the duration of the TAF).

No worries, I'm probably not going to get out to my hangar until Saturday.

Any CO detector that doesn't sound a loud alarm is worthless in my book. I had an exchanger crack coming out of Napa night, IFR. Had the alarm not be blaring in my ear there is little doubt I wouldn't have happened to notice a little dot turn brown in the dark. This is what I use. Only $25 and works great...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y6V5CI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Robert