Mooney crash, pilot walks away

63-C-

2 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Yes it seem to be the case Mike Busch was talking about . Sorry i did not notice that this link was posted . 

Just bought one of these. Works great!!

TONOR Portable 0-2000ppm Carbon Monoxide Detector Yellow [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCP2UJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QX7Lyb5F8Q63X]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCP2UJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QX7Lyb5F8Q63X[/

I show 0 - 15 ppm while taxiing. Zero while in flight.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

In Canada we have an AD requiring inspection of the cabin heat system annually or each 150 hours. 

Clarence

Clarence

Does the AD go beyond the standard inspection?  In other words, isn't it already mandated through annual inspection?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

Just bought one of these. Works great!!

TONOR Portable 0-2000ppm Carbon Monoxide Detector Yellow [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCP2UJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QX7Lyb5F8Q63X]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCP2UJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QX7Lyb5F8Q63X[/

I show 0 - 15 ppm while taxiing. Zero while in flight.

I was looking on Amazon this morning for co2 detectors and was ready to order, but Amazon said could not ship to address.  It appears that all the detectors can not be shipped to CA because of our stupid laws about importing certain items that contain certain items that can cause certain things to its residents.  Maybe we should ship Gov. Moonbeam to some other state and then CA would not allow him back in.  Who want Him?

Pritch

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pritch said:

I was looking on Amazon this morning for co2 detectors and was ready to order, but Amazon said could not ship to address.  It appears that all the detectors can not be shipped to CA because of our stupid laws about importing certain items that contain certain items that can cause certain things to its residents.  Maybe we should ship Gov. Moonbeam to some other state and then CA would not allow him back in.  Who want Him?

Pritch

That doesn't make any sense, not doubting you, but I did some quick googling since CO detectors have become required in most every home in CA for a few years now. The real issue seems to be that the law requires that units sold in CA are all listed as approved by the CA Fire Marshall. Thus this one didn't meet the CA requirements and is simply not on the approved list and therefore can't be sold in CA. Don't know why this one isn't approved but there are lots of battery powered options starting at less than $20 at the local HomeDepot. Plus there are other options on Amazon that will ship to CA.

Flying high, i take the threat very seriously and use a CO Guardian panel mount unit: https://www.guardianavionics.com/aero-553-panel-digital-display-multi-function-co-detector-tso-certified-aircraft 

• Like 3

Hey everyone,

I'm the pilot involved in this crash. I started writing up a summary of the events leading to to my accident but I'm having problems with my old laptop. My frostbite hands make using my phone and iPad difficult but I'll try to throw up some facts and field questions when I get a chance.

The FAA is still investigating, but I'm 99℅ sure this was caused from CO Poisoning. This was the 3rd flight of the day and in hindsight I had CO poison symptoms most of the day.  The heater/defrost was run full-on the whole time.  5 hrs after the accident CO Poisoning occurred as a possibility to me, my levels were then tested 15-18X higher than normal. I didn't have CO detection in the plane.  I was dumb and naive to think that I would "know" when I was effected.  I was way wrong! The problem was that the CO degrades ones cognitive ability to the point where you can't connect the symptoms with the cause.

I passed out in the climb and woke up in a field.  I am the luckiest man alive. Allot of things helped to have the great outcome I have been blessed with.  

1- I was in a Mooney. The airplane gave it's life to save mine. I'm a huge believer in the "steel cage" and the full spar.  

2- I was wearing a shoulder harness.  I still busted up my face, I'm not sure how, but I don't think I would be here without it.

3- STec 30 auto pilot.  I was flying with the heading bug when I passed out.  The electric autopilot kept the wings level all the way down. The original PC system may have worked just as well, but the engine was windmilling from 12k to the ground. I don't know if there would have been enough vacuum.

4- it happened in the climb.  I only have alt hold so it was tracking heading bug and trimmed for climb. As I was in the initial climb I still had in full power with full rich mixture. This resulted in a fuel burn in the 17-18.5 gal/hr. And only allowed the airplane to climb to around 12.5k.  if it were leaned at all I would have went much higher, for allot longer.  Being that I was oxygen starved and unconscious it probably would have been fatal.  

5- ATC was awesome.  Because of them search and rescue was underway before I crashed.  After I woke up I had to get myself to help, once I did emergency responders were to me in a few min.  My 121.5 ELT was working, but if I had a 406 I bet I would have been pulled from the airplane before I woke up.

6- luck, luck, luck, divine intervention, miracle, what ever you want to call it.  

I'm banged up, but should recover 100℅. I came home from the hospital on my daughter's 3rd birthday.  It doesn't get any better than that.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 46

7 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Jesus christ, Dan.

I am at work and everyone is hovering over my keyboard reading your reply. You are seriously lucky.

Please keep us updated with the FAA/insurance/etc. Are you getting back into a Mooney?

We were out growing the C. We have a dog and two little girls. I was planing on getting into something with 6 seats. I'm not sure what will be next though.  Sitting here watching our digital photo frame, I realize how the Mooney really was part of the family.  It delivered us safely every time, even the accident flight. My next plane may not be a Mooney, but I will return to Mooneys down the road.  A 201 is my ideal personal airplane.

I'll keep you all posted on the aftermath with insurance, FAA, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, takair said:

Dan....Glad you made it.  What a story!  I know the investigation is early, but do you have an idea of the source of the CO?  I.e.  Cracked exhaust?

Not yet.  The last annual was a year ago in Feb. So the next one was due at the end of the month. I think there was 110-115 hrs since.  

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:07 PM, Pritch said:

Pritch

The CO detector I use ships free from Zoro. I don't see any restrictions for CA. $84.10, I suspect that no tax charged.

https://www.zoro.com/uei-test-instruments-carbon-monoxide-detector-0-to-999-ppm-utlc11/i/G7609996/

Z0p1yyocpEx_.JPG

• Like 2