Can It Be Done?

Got my hands on a sailrite portable walking foot.  This is now my third machine and first walking foot.  Practiced my top stitching using some techniques learned from the sailrite videos- pretty good result and ready to put it to use for the leather glareshield cover. 

IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3498.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bradp said:

Got my hands on a sailrite portable walking foot.  This is now my third machine and first walking foot.  Practiced my top stitching using some techniques learned from the sailrite videos- pretty good result and ready to put it to use for the leather glareshield cover. 

What do you want to do the glare shield on my E?

Nice!

I got the double reduction working and came across another little issue with the China clone machine. Its a challenge but interesting.

Had a glob of iron casting inside the cover that was dragging on one of the moving parts causing a hard to turn issue. I'll grind it off tomorrow and see how things go. Still having fun with the project even with the machine issues. As I said its a challenge .

I'll post some pics maybe tomorrow.

Hi,  bought real leather from a suppler to aircraft, they supplied me with a 'burn rate'  to keep  my AME happy,  he did not 

even bother to care, signed off no problem.  did seats and side trim, wish I had A/C   gets a little hot.  Mike

www.cahc-ccpa.com   a few other planes I did the interior for a musuem where I work.  

So I'm back among the living after being out of state for a couple of weeks. Got the double reduction gearing done

and it works good. I can go stitch by stitch if I want now,  The lighter colored wheel was the original going to the motor pulley. Now it

goes to another identical pulley (straight from Sailrite) and then to the motor. I can adjust the motor belt tension by spacing the motor away from the machine with washers. It was a fun engineering project. 

Next is to pull the seats and then do the sidewalls. 

SANY1083.JPG

SANY1084.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If you want good one, a Sailrite is real good but starts at about $700 and goes up from there.

There are lots of commercial walking foot machines on the used market that if reconditioned correctly are real good also.  Still Sailrite is hard to beat.

My clone has had a couple of problems that I was able to "fix" only because I can, but it works well now.  

• Like 1

I am still a lowly old school White. with no walking foot  I picked up a Singer 404 slant needle.   It sucks for heavy stuff.  Going to be sold.  I have been several minutes late to several walking foots at Estate sales. One day

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

@Yetti  @cliffy  @bradp  

Hey guys, is there a consensus on which walking foot machine is best?  I saw the chinese clones were thrown out and having problems in some cases... 

I asked one of our upholsterers what machine would be cheap but still good. He said probably a Consew. 

• Like 1