Mooney Caravan Training - 2-ship Formation Landing with two Bravo Pilots

JohnB

At Yuma MCAS at the Mooney Caravan training 2/3/17. Near simultaneous landing on Runway 8 with me and Ian (both newbie formation flyers both in our two Bravos). Great instructors! Lots of fun! #mooneycaravan #mooneyzoom

Edited by JohnB
  • Like 8

Coming over the numbers near 90 would work after a long float, but how do you put mains on the concrete nearly 30 mph above stall speed?

You just roll it on. No ones using any flaps. And the runway is long. But we do it all the time. My regular formation partner flies an E. And yet these speeds are SOP for the Caravan.
I can promise you it works fine. No bounce and a very smooth touchdown.
Even Don Kaye has landed at these speeds with us in formation.

Now you see why I'm so objectionable when you all insist that Mooney's have to be on speed or you must go around :-)

Come ride along and we'll show you how easy it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2017 at 6:54 PM, yvesg said:

John, did you manage to take off and/or land in formation at long Beach? About 3 years ago the tower did not allow us to do it with another Mooney.

Looking forward to meet you in KMSN.

Yves

I haven't tried it at Long Beach yet, as I this was my first day of me flying formation. Now that I'm qualified, would like to try it at LGB, hmm I'll ask if it's ok there now, because LGB would be perfect to do it on (and they let the military guys do formation takeoffs and landings it all the time, so I'll ask from that angle if I get questions) Yes! Thanks! Looking forward to seeing you at MSN! 

On 2/3/2017 at 9:01 PM, Hank said:

Looked Good! But there's no way my C would land anywhere near 90 mph.

Thanks Hank! And 90 knots is no problem landing with no flaps with my airplane.  I found it made our near simultaneous touchdown points on all of our element landings much more predictable than it probably would have been transitioning from flap to landing attitude. True, this weekend I was flying with another Bravo, but I think it should work out the same with any other model at same speeds, and I would very much like to fly with other models.

John