Hello Florida Flyers

Jstickler76

Hello, I wanted to take a minute and introduce myself.  I moved to the Daytona area a year ago. I am based at KOMN. I spend most of my days at the field instructing and working on my planeand making airplane noises.  I am a CFI,CFII. MEI here. I Currently own a 65 M20c.  I bought this neglected bird a few months ago. It sat outside untouched for a few years.  But the overall numbers were good all low times. And the previous owner did the major (engine,tanks) repairs before he had some medical issues. I had to send out the carb it was clogged.  A few days later I had her running. That was a major hurdle. Then it was onto the next item.  I have a fresh panel being built.  It will be sporting a Garmin 430, Stratus ESG, dual cdi, ps engineering audio panel and a jpi 900.  Keeping the steam gauges till a later date. While that work is being conducted. I took on the daunting task of replacing all the firewall insulation. The plane had the eyelids removed and placed on with a few screws. Water manage to get in and sit on the floor.  Luckily no carpet installed. I should have taken the hint from the upholstery shop on the field. What a pain.  But now all that is done and man what a difference. In the next few weeks it should make its first flight in 2+ years.  Well that's just a little about me.  I look forward to bouncing around here for a while. So if you see me on the field stop say hi. I would love to talk. Jason

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

Welcome aboard JS...

There are a few things that may come with a nice M20C that has sat...

Since you mentioned water intrusion.  Are you familiar with the SB regarding insulation, water, rust and steal tubes?

The other thing I learned as a C owner was that exhaust valves can stick closed... be familiar with maintenance routines for exhaust valves.  It helps to have an engine monitor.

Look forward to the next decade of plane ownership.  My C was a great plane for about that long before finding its next owner.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Thank you!  

I have looked into the SB. for water and such.  And all those areas are being addressed. Thankfully I have a great support group on the field. So if you swing into KOMN. Stop in and see Ormond aircraft. These guys love life. 

You mentioned engine monitor.  I felt the same way.  If I am going to fix this plane what is the most important? That was my initial concern so I opted for the JPI 900. 

J

Watch for announcements for the monthly Florida Mooney Luncheon, held every second Saturday somewhere around the state. On a good day there will be 15 Mooney's on the ramp to admire, and hundreds of (long) stories told while breaking bread with people with the same interests as you.