STC Ram Air

82Mike

19 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Anyone know how much of a speed benefit this gets or are you removing it just to get rid of something you don't use?

No speed benefit - the rational for removing it is explained in the first line of the SI as minimal, if any, benefit in MAP increase but requires maintenance.

• Like 1

There is an added safety margin by removing the ram air. If you are flying VFR on top with the ram air open and start your descend into clouds with freezing temperatures and forget to close the ram air there is a chance of engine stall due to freezing the fuel servo impact tubes. I always keep it close in clouds and at low altitude to avoid swarm of bugs ingestion.

José

• 5 months later...
On 7/8/2017 at 10:05 AM, MisfitSELF said:

My M20J has had it's ram air removed and has a bulbous cap over the intake.  Is there other methods used to cover the intake?

I have heard of folks who have plugged the hole in the cowling with an additional LED taxi light after removing the ram air.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:21 AM, NotarPilot said:

Anyone know how much of a speed benefit this gets or are you removing it just to get rid of something you don't use?

The primary benefit for removal is eliminating maintenance created by something that doesn't improve performance. Doing the Service Bulletin also allowed me to reclaim some panel space by deleting the Ram Air warning light as well as the pull handle.

I have a 1977 J.  I like the ram air.  It gives you a free boost of around 3/4" of MP.  Every little bit makes a difference.  The maintenance is minimal and generally involves a new seal every 5-7 years (or more).  Jose' is correct though, remember to close it in the clouds and at lower altitudes.  I generally close mine prior to arriving at pattern altitude, or sooner if I see bugs smashing on the wind screen.

Edited by Brandontwalker