Some Good Pictures

Here's another tragic example of where a little self-regulation would have gone a long way:

Quote: Tom

How about a little self-regulation so as to avoid govt regulation?  Our terms or theirs.

Results of a similar photo shoot:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20060823X01229&ntsbno=LAX06LA266&akey=1

Quote: KLRDMD

You may want to revisit 91.119. Just sayin'

Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Quote: KLRDMD

You may want to revisit 91.119. Just sayin'

Sec. 91.119 — Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

"I was making an approach when I saw someone close to the threshold, so I cleaned up and went around.  On the next approach they were still there, so I waggled my wings and went around.  On the third approach they were still there...... eventually I gave up as I needed fuel!"

OK, much as I love FAR's being floated around the internet with my name on them, I figure I better chime in here.  The pics were taken with calm, cool air, at a very quiet airport, with several measures of safety, including a a written plan regarding aircraft configuration, airspeed and safety, and a third party acting as air boss surveying the situation.   I may, read that was, exagerating when I wrote 15 feet, hence the smiley face at the end of my post. I think of many of the stories on this great board are similar to stories one tells after hours at Osh, so put it into perspective.   It's amazing what can be accomplished with a really quality zoom lens and digital photo enhancement.  The part about her ducking was true, but mostly due to the sound, not the imminent fear of being hit.  Sorry guys, it makes a better story the way I told it!

Ok, now that I've got that addressed, a lot of folks are curious as to the windshield.  It is a 201 intstalled in '93 and the logs show Laser as the manufacturer. You can still get to the back of the panel, just with smaller access panels.  Also for you guys who are curious as to the twisted wing, one can see it very clearly on the front shot, the outboard four feet or so are clearly twisted downward. 

Gary, not too many prarie dogs around Bruning, mainly out west.  I can probably hook you up with some good folks out that way if you want to make a trip out of it, be a lot of fun with an AR and lots of ammo! 

As to the pictures, I am really pleased with how they turned out.  The head on one was originally a marketing shot from Mooney that I saw and wanted to replicate.  It is hands down my favorite.  The others were just shots that we thought would make for good photography.  The buildings in the background are WWII hangers that used to house B17's, now they store grain in them.  As to the wife, I'm very blessed to have her support of my flying habit.  She's not enthusiastic by any means, but tolerates it well and even enjoys it once in a while.  She enjoyed taking the pictures and has a healthy amount of fear, two good legs, and brains in her head.  Had she felt she was in any danger at all, trust me she would have walked away! :-)

-Aaron

• 1 year later...

This was simply showing good judgment on the part of the pilot. He did not feel good about this approach and obviously elected to exercise the good judgment by doing a go around. He later discovered that the gear was not down and extended it for a safe landing. As far as the 150 knots,...well,... Mooneys are slick airplanes :D . That's my story and I am sticking to it.