E6B

TEX

Suddenly, I'm thinking like a young guy...

Ipad with a back-up iPhone with a back up watch...  

what would I get from an electronic E6B?  Fuel burn, true airspeed, time to next wpt?

Look through the menu system on Foreflight.  Expect that they have one in there.  WingX does.

Please share what you use the old whiz wheel for. I'm thinking the world has found a better way.  And, they will share what it is....:)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

I have the Sporty's, it is ok.  But I gotta tell you, I bought it several years ago and I have never used it.  I get all the information I need from the instruments on my panel.  For flight planning I keep it simple, I flight plan for 13 gph, but frankly, given the fuel capacity and range of my 231, I can count on one hand the number of times there has been even a remote issue about range.  I use www.fltplan.com if I need good flight planning, the flight planning in Foreflight is just so so.  It does fuel and time calculations, but has not way of dealing with long climbs to altitude, which are fairly common in the 231.  I have a custom profile set up in fltplan and it does very accurate fuel calculations for me when needed.  So I have the electronic version on my iPad, a standard E6B in my Brightline flight bad, and one on my wrist, and I use those three exactly zero times per year.

Well it's pretty simple if I can't get my technology to function and I need to travel cross country and the winds are a blowing I can use my paper charts and my wheel to figure out everything I need to know to get me there. Electronics can fail extremely rare but possible. An E6B my charts and my brain will always work n a pinch. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bonal said:

An E6B my charts and my brain will always work n a pinch. 

I think you will find that this tends to be the weakest link.

How many times have you actually had enough technology fail that an e6b actually saved you?

• Like 2

I still have one at my desk. It was my Grandpas old metal one. 

Kinda neat! But I'll admit I have not had one in an airplane in the last oh...16 years. 

Its also pretty hard to figure X-wind components in your head if you ask me. 

-Matt

I have a lovely metal one.

i got my private in 1990 and have not used an E6B in the cockpit since. I purchased Sporty's electronic E6B when I was working on my instrument rating  but never used it in the cockpit either. My flight plan for my instrument checkride in 1992 was based on the new Hi Tech :D - a high speed 1200 baud modem connected by Telnet to the first generation DUAT service. I used to carry th e-E6B  in my flight bag but eventually sold it. Come to think of it, I stopped using the E6B altogether about The time DUAT arrived , even on the ground, except to keep enough skill up to be able to teach it as a CFI. 

i do, however, have the Sporty's E6B app on my iPad. I picked it up mostly to do IFR crossing restriction calculations. Yes they are easy but I consider myself to be very bad at mental math so I like having the crutch. Haven't used it in the cockpit either (not even for crossing restrictions) but I like to know it's there.

• Like 1

I still keep my metal E6B in my bag.  Rarely does it come out with 2 GPS tracking my course heading and time to next waypoint.  Sometimes just for fun.  When I wasn't flying I used it to calculate fuel mileage in my truck and time to my next stop or destination when traveling on the highway.

Makes me fell more like a pilot especially when you pull it out in front of newbie passengers.:D

Besides the E6B will survive and thrive in the future Spock used it on Star Trek and a bonus not batteries needed.  :o

All my fling ht plans are done on DUATS so I have not calculated wind correction angle, or flight time with winds by hand in a long time and when flying VFR I'm generally in areas that I know well.

• Like 1