Lower Spar Corrosion - in fuel tank

gsxrpilot

This corrosion under the tank sealant is very disturbing. I sincerely hope this can be resolved without a wing replacement.  If we use a creeping anticorrosion treatment, would that migrate through the non-tank side of the spar to prevent corrosion under the sealant?  I am planning to get a CorrosionX/ACF-50 treatment once the warm weather arrives and had hoped my worries were over... maybe not so.

1 hour ago, rpcc said:

Andy95w and aviatoreb - read his comment again, you can see his it was said with humor.  Perhaps you two need a special politically correct forum so you are not offended.  

Welcome to the forum, rpcc!

Like Clarence said, and I was hoping most here knew that my comment was entirely tongue-in-cheek.  But I suppose I should have included a smiley face.  So here ya go:

:)

• Like 1

Why get tangled up...  The content is exceptional on this site and and is rare from what I've read that threads are hijacked for political reasons.  From my read the comment was 12 words  with a smiley face - just seems like an overreaction and one that will drive people away - and it was funny.

Anyhow - this corrosion issue just scares the crap out of me.  I hope to buy a long body in the near future and there are lots of issues to lose sleep over, but I didn't think wing spar corrosion under tank sealant was one of them.  

As I've sad, the content here  is excellent - thanks to  gsxrpilot for sharing this.  

• Like 1

Paul, you have my sympathies.  Thank you for sharing.   If you just need a ride in a Mooney, let me know, I'm at KGTU.

I wish I could contribute to the discussion, but I'm no expert in this area and it would be all speculation:  Bad alloy from day one,   the guy putting the wing together had sweat drip on the cap, paint stripper, water behind the sealant, etc.   In short, I have no clue what might have caused this.  

The whole discussion does really make me wonder about bladders used in some Mooneys.  Seems like a possibility to trap water,some fretting, and a difficult spot to inspect.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

One thing that Aeroskill have done is seal all the edges of the skins with a silicone sealant type substance, this keeps the moisture out and also the acf 50 that they will spray at annual in.   (The acf 50 etc stuff oozes with time causing grey streaks on the paint if not kept in.  ) i would recomend this to be done if you can get it doen @gsxrpilot   

Andrew

Was this done on the outside or the inside?  Before or after painting?

• 1 month later...

I thought it would be a good time to post an update to the saga with 252AD.  We've been down the road with a DER to get a fix approved for the spot of corrosion on the spar cap.  The prescribed fix is actually pretty minor. It's just a doubler of about 4" covering the spot where the corrosion was polished out and removed. There is a specific number of rivets or fasteners that must be driven through the doubler. In addition, we have to create a new gusset to attach the rib to the doubler. 

The doubler should go in today, while the gusset is out for heat treating. We should get the gusset installed next week. Then it will just need to go back to the tank shop to seal the tank.

I've also been collecting avionics for an upgrade to the panel. But had put that all on hold while we tried to determine if the plane would even fly again. We're in the home stretch and so it's moved into the avionics shop for that work.

I'm removing engine instruments, JPI EDM-700, Turn Coordinator, KI-256, KI-525a, VSI, KNS 80, GNS530W, KR 87 ADF, KT76a, WX-10A Strikefinder, GMA 340, Hoskins, and the standby vacuum system.

I'm installing, Aspen E1000Pro PFD, Avidyne IFD540, AXP322 remote, SkyTrax100, PMA 450a, EDM-900, Garmin G5, CiES digital fuel senders, all in a new left side panel.

I'll keep the ASI, and encoding Altimeter along with the Altitude pre-select and KFC150. I'll also keep the GDL 69A and KY 196 com. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of the repair work on the spar cap.

It's been a long road, and we're not done yet. But hopefully another month and we might be flying.

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I thought it would be a good time to post an update to the saga with 252AD.  We've been down the road with a DER to get a fix approved for the spot of corrosion on the spar cap.  The prescribed fix is actually pretty minor. It's just a doubler of about 4" covering the spot where the corrosion was polished out and removed. There is a specific number of rivets or fasteners that must be driven through the doubler. In addition, we have to create a new gusset to attach the rib to the doubler. 

The doubler should go in today, while the gusset is out for heat treating. We should get the gusset installed next week. Then it will just need to go back to the tank shop to seal the tank.

I've also been collecting avionics for an upgrade to the panel. But had put that all on hold while we tried to determine if the plane would even fly again. We're in the home stretch and so it's moved into the avionics shop for that work.

I'm removing engine instruments, JPI EDM-700, Turn Coordinator, KI-256, KI-525a, VSI, KNS 80, GNS530W, KR 87 ADF, KT76a, WX-10A Strikefinder, GMA 340, Hoskins, and the standby vacuum system.

I'm installing, Aspen E1000Pro PFD, Avidyne IFD540, AXP322 remote, SkyTrax100, PMA 450a, EDM-900, Garmin G5, CiES digital fuel senders, all in a new left side panel.

I'll keep the ASI, and encoding Altimeter along with the Altitude pre-select and KFC150. I'll also keep the GDL 69A and KY 196 com. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow of the repair work on the spar cap.

It's been a long road, and we're not done yet. But hopefully another month and we might be flying.

Glad to hear the fix turned out to be very minor! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Godfather said:

...the Aspen, G5, and EDM would sure look good flush mounted ;)

Yep, and that's the reason for the new panel. All three will be flush mounted. There isn't a flush mount kit for the G5. But it appears that the EDM flush mount kit will also work for the G5 so we've ordered a second EDM kit. I've never seen a G5 mounted flush, so it might be the first.

29 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yep, and that's the reason for the new panel. All three will be flush mounted. There isn't a flush mount kit for the G5. But it appears that the EDM flush mount kit will also work for the G5 so we've ordered a second EDM kit. I've never seen a G5 mounted flush, so it might be the first.

A race is on...also installing a flush mounted G5 and edm900...depending on new announcements the 1000 pro plus as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

That is great news Paul! Glad to hear your Mooney will fly again soon. Enjoy.

Fernando