Buying near major overhaul

FWIW, my 1963 E model has 5500 hours on the engine, and 2600 Hours on the last overhaul performed 32 years ago by mattituck.  I replaced one cylinder that I lost on a night flight due to a stretching/tuliping valve--it was on #3, the hottest cylinder, but it showed zero signs of heat damage and otherwise the piston, rings and cylinder were perfect.  The other three have not been touched. They are chrome cylinders, and all four are 77/80 evenly across the board.  I change the oil ever 25, filter at 50, and most flights are 1200nm one way at 12,500' (california to dallas commute for 10 years now). Oil analysis shows all normal parameters.  Takeoff and cruise performance is equal to my friend's E with a new engine...we both see 155knots TAS in formation cruise--but I have all the speed mods and he has none....On my engine, every accessory has been replaced or rebuilt however.
BTW, Jose's tip on another ms thread about flushing the crankcase with avgas worked great, now my oil stays honey colored for up to 15-20 hours!

John Herlihy
M20e @ SMX Santa Maria, California

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 1:52 PM, gitmo234 said:

I posted another thread about help in selecting models of an older mooney to buy. Now I have a question about buying one at 1000 SMOH or closer to "timed out", for example at 1700 SMOH. I found one that appears to have most everything I'd like, but I'm wondering what makes more sense. Buying one halfway through, or buying one near the end. If I bought the higher hour model, I'd essentially be paying cash, and could milk it for a few years (provided the compression are still good and it's been flown semi-regularly) and then do a top overhaul or complete overhaul. 

Or just buy one that's halfway and get a decade or more out of it. Opinions?

The one i'm looking at is this one:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20F+EXEC+21&listing_id=2168043&s-type=aircraft

Again, I'm deployed so no purchases until probably August or September, but I'm keeping an eye on the market and doing research

After going to Mike Busch's seminar, "to TBO and beyond, " I would have little worry about buying a plane close to overhaul.  I would price it accordingly however.  

Check out this article and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/187037-1.html

• Like 1

Looking at the example the OP linked, I be more worried about corrosion than engine time, given the location of the plane.  Another eye catcher in the ad were the "unknown dates" of the refinishing and refurbishing.  I'd also be curious about the hail damage.