AWOS 3 coming to Oceano Airport

Final local permits are nearly completed for the installation of our new AWOS 3 at Oceano Airport , L52.

FAA frequency and dial up telephone numbers have been assigned. Construction is ready to begin, once the last T is crossed by  the permit process.

AWOS is a dream come true, finally, after pursuing this for over 6 years.  

Even though we have SMX and SBP AWOS systems, L52 climate can be quite different at times from either of those relatively close proximity airports.

We all are excited about this!  Stand by for updates for construction beginning date.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NotarPilot said:

Don't we all?  And a little wider too.  

Although I have to agree with the total sensibility of that. But it's still a very fun personal challenge for oneself to make if off by the first exit by simply nailing the speed and not dragging it in.

13 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Do they give the airport a three-letter designator now due to the AWOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know but we have lots of airports with AWOS without 3-letter designators.

1 hour ago, N803RM said:

Mitch. Is the Awos going to be connected to fess?  KMPI is not.  

Ron

"fess"???

Our local airport has an AWOS and a satellite uplink but it's not reported. Apparently from what I've been told it's because we have an FAA domestic but no ICAO three Letter code. The later is required to report Metars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a clear answer except to say its certainly possible - I think the airport just has to pay whatever it cost to set up with FAA grant money of other $.

First, Ron was asking will it get a 3 letter designator, rather than its existing 1 letter+2 number designator. But an airport does not have to have a 3 letter designator to get METARs sent to the FSS.

BradP though is right, for weather you need a 4 letter ICAO designation. But that should not be a problem, since that just means adding a K prefix to L52. So all they need to do for weather is unofficially allow Oceano to broadcast weather as "KL52". I used the term un-officially because the airport will not be known as KL52, only L52,  but that is exactly how you would find weather for it as is done for plenty of other airports out there now. I have never been through the process of getting airport weather setup like that so I don't know what the process is but they exist so I am assuming it just comes down to funding the effort to make it happen.

Mitch, make it so! :)

Below is the affirmative answer to whether our new L52 AWOS 3 data will be transferred to a FSS.

This answer came directly from our airport assistant manger, who is overseeing the AWOS project.

i hope this information helps you all.

"Yes, the data will be transmitted to the FAA NADIN system. It’s my understanding pilots would then be able to access METAR’s from services such as DUATS or ADDS."
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great news (again) for aviators flying into/out of our beach community area (Pismo Beach, Grover Beach, Arroyo Grande, Grover Beach, Shell Beach, Oceano), San Luis Obispo airport management informs me Ocean Airport (L52) AWOS 3 construciton is officially to begin June 26th.  Oceano will also get a new airport beacon system with this project.

This is a project finally coming to fruition!   Whoopee!!!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

FINALLY....after years of pursuit, Oceano Airport now has an operational AWOS3!  A huge thank you to San Luis Obispo Airports Kevin Beauman and Criag Piper for making this dream come true!

118.375 and 805 489-1305 are the access numbers. 

Hooray!!!!!

• Like 4