King KT74

Pritch

Oshkosh is coming soon, I'd take the unit out of the plane and walk into the BK booth and hand it to them in the booth.  Have them plug it into their display rack to see what it does.

Clarence

1 hour ago, Mark89114 said:

Based on BK recent decisions why would anybody buy one of their products going forward?  They obviously don't give a scheisse.

Tell me... any Avionics company that does?  Maybe avidyne.... but any others? Tough these days- over priced and underperforming is the standard... sadly.

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Are they really underperforming or are we as more tech savvy peeps over expecting?

i agree fully on the overpricing. 

Valid point- we're all getting used to holding a powerful, user-friendly, fully integrated and networked computer system with wireless, Bluetooth, GPS and an AHRS for under 500 bucks in the palm of our hands.  And it even makes phone calls.  We are certainly spoiled, digitally.

for the same price in GA, I can't even buy cluster of analog gauges, let along a radio or gps....

• Like 2

Here's what I would recommend -

1) get the thing out of the aircraft and on a power supply.  Is is bright?  

1a)  take a picture of the pins in the back of the unit.  Use that as a reference to see what you have connected to the box.   Attached is an example of my GNS430 pin setup.  I'm using it to plan for future upgrades to see what I have "room for".  Make a pin map to see what is connected and what is not connected to the unit.   

IMG_3926.thumb.JPG.3ec9d61d4384a2736780e4a9c53f578a.JPG

2) get a pinout diagram for the KT74.  I can't find it with a cursory google search.  I could find a diagram for the TT31 which is close if not identical to the KT74.  

IMG_3940.thumb.PNG.d0b03fbd4acb13bf10a46d8bed49c3da.PNG

2) determine whether pins 2 or 3 are hooked up.  This is the 14V and 28V lighting bus pin in to the trig (and the KT74 probably has the same circuit available). 

3) if you have something sticking out in pins 2 and 3 (given this is present in the KT74- which I'm betting it is) and your display is nice and bright on a 12V power supply in a well lit room, your photocell is working fine and your avionics installer mis wired or doesn't understand the pinouts for the unit.  Either your hangar fairy might remove the connector to pin 2/3 or... have your  avionics shop remove it.  There should be no charge if you use and / or still trust the original shop as they should have caught this. 

EDIT:  found a comparison of the pin outs for a KT76 vs a TT31.  Slight differences but lighting bus is still 2 and 3.  From beechtalk.  

IMG_3941.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Oshkosh is coming soon, I'd take the unit out of the plane and walk into the BK booth and hand it to them in the booth.  Have them plug it into their display rack to see what it does.

Clarence

This was already done when the installation was checked by the 2nd avionics shop.  Here's what my partner, who brought our Mooney in said after the visit: We found out that it it was installed properly and works properly. It's a design issue regarding the angle of the display.   I looked at it while it was wired up on the bench. The display looks fine when you're looking at it straight on and from above.  As you move lower it fades. 

24 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

This was already done when the installation was checked by the 2nd avionics shop.  Here's what my partner, who brought our Mooney in said after the visit: We found out that it it was installed properly and works properly. It's a design issue regarding the angle of the display.   I looked at it while it was wired up on the bench. The display looks fine when you're looking at it straight on and from above.  As you move lower it fades. 

How many others on this forum have the same unit?  How many of those are experiencing the same issue?  If no others are there is something wrong with your unit.  Bringing it to their attention at their booth with other potential customers present should spur them to action.

In my experience in maintenance, you the consumer who paid for the unit will have more sway with the manufacturer than the installing shop.

Clarence

I have it installed in the lowest spot in the right stack, next time I will look at from a lower angle.

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

How many others on this forum have the same unit?  How many of those are experiencing the same issue?  If no others are there is something wrong with your unit.  Bringing it to their attention at their booth with other potential customers present should spur them to action.

In my experience in maintenance, you the consumer who paid for the unit will have more sway with the manufacturer than the installing shop.

Clarence

I will not be going to Oshkosh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 10:02 AM, DXB said:

I got it about 15 months ago.  It's great if you have a KT76A already plus any of the approved GPS sources for the KT74. Then it's plug and play, plus one connect to the GPS source to get ads-b out. I got $300 back from Bendix for sending in the old transponder - don't know if that offer is still in effect.  Total installed cost was something like $2400- and this was before the FAA refund.  If you have that setup and don't care about panel ads-b in (I use Stratus), then it's a highly recommended, economical way to take care of the mandate.  The unit has been nice too - simple and clean functionality.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:28 AM, M20S Driver said:

I installed a KT74 in July of 2015 to replace my KT76C..  No issues so far.

The only added complexity was to add a air switch on my plane for sensing the air speed. My total cost was around $2500 after the rebate.  

For you guys that had the KT74 put in, how many actual hours did the avionics shop charge for?  Pacific Coast Avionics is estimating 16 hours, but they've not done an install with the G530W.  I can't imagine it should take 16 hours for the one wire to the 530, install the airspeed switch and replace the RG58 with RG400.  @M20S Driver yours sounds like it took 8-10 hours?

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

For you guys that had the KT74 put in, how many actual hours did the avionics shop charge for?  Pacific Coast Avionics is estimating 16 hours, but they've not done an install with the G530W.  I can't imagine it should take 16 hours for the one wire to the 530, install the airspeed switch and replace the RG58 with RG400.  @M20S Driver yours sounds like it took 8-10 hours?

8-10 hours but it was the first one that they had done..

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Jay, there seems to be something weird...  PCA hasn't connected a KT74 to a G530W yet? Ask them why?

Best regards,

-a-

I was surprised too, but I was talking to a sales guy who may not have known.  I'll talk to Chris from the shop as I close in on the install date in August.

14 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Like with most question the answer is : it depends

• The KT74 and all ADS-Out 1090 requires a CI-105 type of antenna and RG400 coax cable. So it you have a rod (CI-101) type antenna, the shop will need to open the belly panel (those are a pain to open), put a doubler, remove old CI-101, route the RG-400,  etc ... 
  • pulling a wire from the GNS 430/530W sounds simple but in practical to access the connector plug, etc ... is a pain depending how it was put together and where in the stack your GNS fits (how clean and accessible the GNS install is)
  • the plumbing of the airspeed switch can mean a lot  of plumbing (and you need a pitot-static check ... so ask if the hours include the pitot static certification)
  • If you want them to add the TIS-A traffic, they will need to pull a couple more wires (ARINC)  from the KT-74 tray to the GNS430/530W (and may require  a new tray)
  • Will you want the audio alerts ? Audio panels are beautiful units but a pain to wire

On a side note: I heard from a BK rep. that the KT-74 may not require the speed switch at some point with a new software version) 

On 6/12/2017 at 10:50 AM, OR75 said:

Like with most question the answer is : it depends

• The KT74 and all ADS-Out 1090 requires a CI-105 type of antenna and RG400 coax cable. So it you have a rod (CI-101) type antenna, the shop will need to open the belly panel (those are a pain to open), put a doubler, remove old CI-101, route the RG-400,  etc ... 
  • pulling a wire from the GNS 430/530W sounds simple but in practical to access the connector plug, etc ... is a pain depending how it was put together and where in the stack your GNS fits (how clean and accessible the GNS install is)
  • the plumbing of the airspeed switch can mean a lot  of plumbing (and you need a pitot-static check ... so ask if the hours include the pitot static certification)
  • If you want them to add the TIS-A traffic, they will need to pull a couple more wires (ARINC)  from the KT-74 tray to the GNS430/530W (and may require  a new tray)
  • Will you want the audio alerts ? Audio panels are beautiful units but a pain to wire

On a side note: I heard from a BK rep. that the KT-74 may not require the speed switch at some point with a new software version) 

Thanks, that's helpful info.  I have a blade type antenna and it is right under the footwell, so cable routing should be quick.  I don't need the traffic and audio alerts, so I'm hoping it will be quick.

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Thanks, that's helpful info.  I have a blade type antenna and it is right under the footwell, so cable routing should be quick.  I don't need the traffic and audio alerts, so I'm hoping it will be quick.

If you want a bare bone install , do yourself a favor and manage to have an RG-400 type coax cable between your transponder and the antenna so there won't be any need to open the belly panels and the cabin side panels 

the only big  item left will be pulling an RS-232 out wire from the GNS /W

the KT-74 is a great unit . Never had any complain from ATC and the FAA report came back with no problem reported

21 minutes ago, OR75 said:

If you want a bare bone install , do yourself a favor and manage to have an RG-400 type coax cable between your transponder and the antenna so there won't be any need to open the belly panels and the cabin side panels 

the only big  item left will be pulling an RS-232 out wire from the GNS /W

the KT-74 is a great unit . Never had any complain from ATC and the FAA report came back with no problem reported

That's an interesting idea.  I'm having my annual done a couple weeks before the install, I'll ask my local shop if they can do that.  Thanks!

I put one in, in 2015.  Simple install, yes the shop had to install a switch and wire to the GPS.  I had the TIS-A connected but if I had to do it over again I would not.  It periodically gives an oral alert when TIS-A is not available and puts a warning on the screen of my 430 which I have to clear.  Its simple enough to clear, but I get much better traffic through the Stratus2 and iPad, and I don't like having to mess with more buttons, say, in the middle of an approach.  There are some neat features on it.  I can change my call sign, which I sometimes do for Angel Flights, so ATC reads me as an AF.  But there are better things to do during an IFR flight than play with the transponder.  What I most use, is just bottoning in the squawk code, which is better than the dial system on the KT76, and that is it.

Edited by jlunseth

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic.  My 1-year old KT74 failed on a short flight from KACK back to KMVY last week.  While it would set and squawk VFR just fine, I could not set an assigned code.  When I pressed any number, it produced a zero in front of the desired number, and sometimes just the zero.  It's now going back to King for evaluation and warranty repair or exchange.  King Tech Support says they haven't seen a failure like mine; guess I'm just lucky.

One other thing that I just found on this old topic that may be useful  for the CBs among us:

On 6/12/2017 at 1:50 PM, OR75 said:
  •  

Not necessarily: the answer is (as most things) it depends.  My new to me 330-ES installation was getting it's transponder cert and the tech said this can't pass with a POT antenna.  I referred the avionics manager to the applicable sections of the STC and he said that you learn something every day.   So it depends on the requirements for antenna and cabling for the STC.

There was one avioncs shop I spoke with out of about ten (Bay Avionics, Chesapeake VA) that told me they had researched and verified that existing antennas and cabling could be used for a 330-ES installation if they met the requirements.  Everyone else I spoke with quoted 5 extra hours an a couple of hundred bucks for a new antenna.  

For the garmin (33X, 3X5) STC:

3.14.1 Transponder Antenna
This STC does not install the transponder antenna. The transponder antenna(s) is considered to be existing
equipment. If an existing GTX transponder is already installed, no changes to the antenna or coax are
required.
When upgrading from a non-Garmin transponder, the existing approved transponder antenna should be
verified to meet these requirements:
• Be approved to TSO-C66( ) or C74( ), and
• The aircraft ground plane should be electrically bonded to the antenna baseplate, which should
achieve direct current (DC) resistance less than or equal to 2.5 milliohms.
The installer should determine whether or not the aircraft’s current antenna and installation meets the
above requirements.
If the antenna does not meet these requirements, the installer is responsible for
obtaining FAA approval for the installation of compliant equipment. Refer to GTX 3X5 TSO Installation
Manual for antenna references.

3.14.3 Transponder Antenna Installation
NOTE
Installation approval for the transponder antenna is not supplied through this STC. Refer
to the antenna manufacturer's installation guidance for the particular model antenna for
minimum performance specifications.
Refer to the aircraft manufacturer's data and the antenna manufacturer's installation instructions for
attaching the transponder antenna. The installer can use other FAA approved data to gain a separate
antenna installation approval.
Table 3-17 gives examples of the recommended antenna cable vendors and the type of cable used for
specific lengths of cable. Any cable that meets the minimum specifications is satisfactory for the
installation.
Table 3-17 is for reference only and shows some applicable cable types. Any 50 Ω, double-shielded
coaxial cable assembly that meets airworthiness requirements and the permitted attenuation requirements
(with connectors) can be used.
When cable loss is calculated, a loss of 0.2 dB can be used for each
connection.