King KT74

Pritch

I got it about 15 months ago.  It's great if you have a KT76A already plus any of the approved GPS sources for the KT74. Then it's plug and play, plus one connect to the GPS source to get ads-b out. I got $300 back from Bendix for sending in the old transponder - don't know if that offer is still in effect.  Total installed cost was something like $2400- and this was before the FAA refund.  If you have that setup and don't care about panel ads-b in (I use Stratus), then it's a highly recommended, economical way to take care of the mandate.  The unit has been nice too - simple and clean functionality.

33 minutes ago, M20S Driver said:

I installed a KT74 in July of 2015 to replace my KT76C..  No issues so far.

The only added complexity was to add a air switch on my plane for sensing the air speed. My total cost was around $2500 after the rebate.  

You already had an air switch on board..it is part of gear safety switch.It has a couple of pinouts I recall...all going low to ground when airspeed hit 60/70 as I recall

Pros...

1) 2020 ADSB mandate... partial solution...

2) nearly drop in ready...

3) button pushing interface compared to the backward turning knobs of prior BK equipment.

Non-Pros:

1) Built by third party, not BK.

2) Requires GPS input, air speed switch and other things to be wired. (?) 

Other question:

1) Does the GPS input need to be a WAAS source or can it be the usual source of GPS?  (KLN90B for example)

All stuff I read around here.

Best regards,

-a-

24 minutes ago, thinwing said:

You already had an air switch on board..it is part of gear safety switch.It has a couple of pinouts I recall...all going low to ground when airspeed hit 60/70 as I recall

My recollection is that the STC required a second switch or maybe the air speed switch signal logic (on/off) was different. The switch was cheap and quick to install.

Setting logic is done in config of kt-74 either active high or active low...the existing switch in your eagle is the same as my Bravo. Located on extreme left side under panel.Its a Mooney part and besides acting as a safety gear position interlock ( big red button above your gear switch bypasses it) it is a legal air switch under the kt-74 stc..it has multiple outputs for this purpose.Not all avionics guys know about it which is the reason you had a second airspeed switch installed

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Setting logic is done in config of kt-74 either active high or active low...the existing switch in your eagle is the same as my Bravo. Located on extreme left side under panel.Its a Mooney part and besides acting as a safety gear position interlock ( big red button above your gear switch bypasses it) it is a legal air switch under the kt-74 stc..it has multiple outputs for this purpose.Not all avionics guys know about it which is the reason you had a second airspeed switch installed

This was the first KT74 install that was done by the shop that did the work :)

I installed a KT-74 in my J and it is connected to a GNS 430W. I did all the plumbing and wiring.

if you simply want to replace a KT-76A, no need to replace the tray: simple remove the 76A and replace with the 74

if you want to get ADS-B out, you need to:

1) install a speed switch (~$120) that connects to the pitot static system 

2) make sure you have the right antenna (blade type antenna CI-105 rather than the ball type antenna CI-101). The coax cable need to be the newer Teflon type RG-400 type and not the old black RG-58)   

3) connect the KT-74 to one of the GNS-430W RS232 port (1 wire to get the position)

4) IF YOU WANT TIS-A TRAFFIC DISPLAYED on the GNS-430W, then you need to change the tray and connect 2 wires to the GNS-430W (ARINC ports)   

5) IF YOU WANT TIS-A TRAFFIC AUDIO ALERTS, you need to connect 2 wires from the KT-74 to the audio panel you have

Pros:

Simple / bare bone install that makes you ADS-B compliant for relatively cheap if you have a GNS xxxW  

Unit looks good (It is subjective but I like the BK faceplate a lot better than the Trigg - the unit is made by Trigg) 

You get TIS-A traffic displayed on the GNS xxxW in TIS-A coverage area (class B airspace which is where it matters most)

It has worked flawlessly and FAA ADS-B report was good from the get go

Cons:

the unit requires an airspeed switch. The Garmin equivalent (330ES) does not.  Not a big deal or a big expense but the switch adds to clutter behind the panel. I hate clutter. The Garmin unit is more $ 

you don't get TIS-B or weather but units that give that are a lot more money. (I personally get TIS-B and weather via another device / iPad without having has to pay aviation price) 

• Like 2

Lance,

An old King transponder KT76 with backward spinning knobs...  numbers increase while turning left...?  Opposite of any standard knob known to man.  It looks like an anachronism amongst the other orangey displays...

94 O1.

It is a memory challenge.  ATC quickly gives a four digit code along with all the other details. When I was younger, dialing in the code was a challenge. The four digit number only stays in working memory for a few moments.  No time for turning the knobs backwards and forwards to enter the code before the memory evaporates...

For 2020, I am going to need a WAAS gps and ADSB compliant transponder.

Best regards,

-a-

Put in the KT 74 in 2015 and connected it to my 430W. Less than a day to install and worked first time out.

Pros - easy, fairly quick install (according to the avionics guy), decent price, works as advertised.

Cons - STC does NOT include Avidyne IFDs as WAAS source (required for the transponder position source), as an early arrival on the ADS-B Out scene it lacks some of the newer features/functionality/options as some of the later equipment (think Lynx 9000+).

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, OR75 said:

I installed a KT-74 in my J and it is connected to a GNS 430W. I did all the plumbing and wiring.

4) IF YOU WANT TIS-A TRAFFIC DISPLAYED on the GNS-430W, then you need to change the tray and connect 2 wires to the GNS-430W (ARINC ports)   

We also have KT74 with TIS-A display on GNS-430W, and to the best of my knowledge this was done with our original KT-76A tray.

Both my partner and I have been somewhat disappointed with what we consider a very dim display.  It's somewhat difficult to see on a bright day, and virtually impossible when sunlight hits the panel.  The brightness of the display cannot be adjusted.  We were both so disappointed that we worked with BK on a warranty exchange, but unfortunately the replacement unit is just as bad in our opinion.  I can't believe that other users don't have an issue with what we consider a dim display.  [it's fine during night operations]

• Like 1

Neil,

Expect that there is an ambient light sensor on the front of the radio.

Covering it with a finger tip usually dims it. Shining a light on it should make it get brighter...

The user manual should have some info related to it.

This is how the other BK stuff works...

Thinking out loud...

Best regards,

-a-

see the display light sensor....

https://www.bendixking.com/HWL/media/Pilot-Guides/VIEW-D201308000036R000-KT-74-PG.pdf

If it is attached to the instrument panel lights dimmer, expect that Somebody hooked it up backwards... oops!

Edited by carusoam

33 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

We also have KT74 with TIS-A display on GNS-430W, and to the best of my knowledge this was done with our original KT-76A tray.

Both my partner and I have been somewhat disappointed with what we consider a very dim display.  It's somewhat difficult to see on a bright day, and virtually impossible when sunlight hits the panel.  The brightness of the display cannot be adjusted.  We were both so disappointed that we worked with BK on a warranty exchange, but unfortunately the replacement unit is just as bad in our opinion.  I can't believe that other users don't have an issue with what we consider a dim display.  [it's fine during night operations]

I can't say that I've felt it was dim.  Maybe I haven't noticed it.  It's not like you're constantly reading something from it, and maybe I'm just not observant.

4 hours ago, neilpilot said:

You are correct when you say you can get TIS-A from the original connector although that port is supposed to be used for portables type of displays. BK or Garmin displays are supposed to be using the ARINC port. I believe the proper way is via the ARINC ports on the second connector.

Also the only way to get the Audio alerts is via the second connector. You probably don't have any audio alerts. I get audio alerts when the TIS-A traffic is not available and when there is another traffic within 3miles and +/-1000 ft (or something like that) 

Note that the dimming can be adjusted in the settings

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

Neil,

Expect that there is an ambient light sensor on the front of the radio.

Covering it with a finger tip usually dims it. Shining a light on it should make it get brighter...

If it is attached to the instrument panel lights dimmer, expect that Somebody hooked it up backwards... oops!

Yes, there is an ambient light sensor.  It works fine, to make the display DIM when covered.  However, the display is too dim with ambient light sensor uncovered.  As I said in my earlier post, we discussed the issue with BF technical support and also exchanged the unit under warranty.  Both units, in our opinion, have a display that's too dim in ambient light.

12 hours ago, OR75 said:

Note that the dimming can be adjusted in the settings

The settings do not allow adjustment of display brightness, only the dimming function, i.e. how the display dims based on ambient light sensor input.  Dimming is not our issue.