Anyone ever added a fixed step

Has anyone ever added a fixed step in place of the hand crank model? Just wondering as we live with lots of blow sand and it affects the crank model terribly. In looking at things it seems just a fairly simple rivet job with a couple of load spreaders. Probably qualifies as a "minor alteration". 

Maybe I need to look around for one? Anyone got all the pieces for sale? 

I know- heretic, as it cuts speed by 1 kt.

45 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Couldn't you just leave your step down?

If there's lots of blowing sand, I don't think it is that great of an idea.  There's a big hole there where the step retracts.  I wouldn't want to have sand in my empenage. ;)

I think a better idea would be just to leave the step up unless someone you are flying needs it (or perhaps you do).  The Mooney wing is so low that it really doesn't need a step.  I know a number on here have removed fixed steps for the speed increase.

As to getting a replacement step, I'm thinking it should fall under a minor mod if your A&P will sign it off.  The variation is within the type certificate of the same model.  My concern would be that you have to have structure to which to attach the replacement step.  My expectation is that structure right now is a hole...  Gonna have to fill that.