Mooney Fly-In, SMX

MooneyMitch

I woke up this morning [that's always a good thing!] and had an epiphany!
I've decided to revamp my mantra of "Some place fun to fly and a reason to fly.......".

I thought the following might be more appropriate....... "Have some fun flying your Mooney to a place".

After all, flying our beloved Mooney airplanes is indeed fun and having a destination is certainly a part of that fun.
It is fun to fly our normal circuit when we go up to exercise our planes and to get our flying fix.  But, it's a treat when we actually have a place and a different purpose to fly.

Which brings up another point.  Mooneyspace is such an invaluable asset to us all as we share and learn from each other.  However, it cannot replace the person to person camaraderie aspect when we gather together.  It is truly terrific when we can fly our planes to meet with each other at any fly in or to any Mooney event where that camaraderie can be experienced. 

So, again, if all is well on February 26th, please do consider having some fun flying your Mooney to a place!

More fun announcements to come!
  • Like 1

Update:

ArtCraft is providing door prizes for our little event.

1.  One complimentary aircraft detail job for your Mooney will be given away.

2.  One set of custom propeller socks [covers they could be called I guess] with your N number printed on them will be given away.

Also, we have a very special guest you will be honored to meet and visit with.  Stand by for that announcement.

• Like 2

Our very special guest for the Mooney Fly In is Captain Harry A Moyer, World War II P-40 fighter pilot.  Captain Moyer defended our B-29 bombers from Japanese attacks over China.  Harry is also a current pilot and owner of his 1964 M20E, which he has owned and flown since 1975.  Harry [96 now] is one of the most optimistic people I have ever known...............his Mooney is currently in ArtCraft for a new paint job!!! 

With all that said, an additional door prize will be one bottle of "TRIBUTE" wine, autographed by Harry himself.  A local winery produces the "TRIBUTE" blend in honor of all that have served us.  With each bottle purchased, a donation is made to Honor Flight of Central California.  That's Harry on the label of the wine bottle photo, standing next to his P-40, May 1944 in China.  Also pictured is Harry and ArtCraft owner Teresa, standing in front of Harry's Mooney.

So, have fun flying your Mooney and come honor and visit with this very special person.  Thank you Captain Harry A. Moyer for your service to America!

HARRY MOYER WINE 001_crop.jpg

Harry and Teresa.jpg

• Like 5

Mitch your last post inspire me to invite another WW II vet.  William (Bill) Allen, 93, was a Bombadier who made handy work of the Norden bombsite during the war. He very well could have been protected by Captian Moyer. After the war he became a well known economist and taught at UCLA and had a radio segment called the Midnight economist. It should be fun to talk with these guys, I'm looking forward to it.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the weather will hold up so we all can have a great visit! See you all soon!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Mitch your last post inspire me to invite another WW II vet.  William (Bill) Allen, 93, was a Bombadier who made handy work of the Norden bombsite during the war. He very well could have been protected by Captian Moyer. After the war he became a well known economist and taught at UCLA and had a radio segment called the Midnight economist. It should be fun to talk with these guys, I'm looking forward to it.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that the weather will hold up so we all can have a great visit! See you all soon!

Oh yes, please do bring Bill Allen. Another treasure he is.

As we say, our "greatest generation", these people are.  Disappearing now so fast they are.  I treasure them.

And the Mamas and the Papas say "it never rains in California".  Yeah, right. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Oh yes, please do bring Bill Allen. Another treasure he is.

As we say, our "greatest generation", these people are.  Disappearing now so fast they are.  I treasure them.

And the Mamas and the Papas say "it never rains in California".  Yeah, right. 

I need to take Pics of N Calif....Oroville Damn blowing up its pen stocks...Franklin field under water...I 80 to Davis looking just like Key West elevated Highway...i.e. Water as far as you can see,.Oh..and our dept of water resources stating it's still a drought!

• Like 1

Note the cables to keep all the parts together after lift-off...

Somebody posted the POH for the trimotor around here once.

it is an interesting read if you get the chance. Written in a 1920s fashion...not too long.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

On 2/9/2017 at 4:08 PM, MooneyMitch said:
Our very special guest for the Mooney Fly In is Captain Harry A Moyer, World War II P-40 fighter pilot.  Captain Moyer defended our B-29 bombers from Japanese attacks over China.  Harry is also a current pilot and owner of his 1964 M20E, which he has owned and flown since 1975.  Harry [96 now] is one of the most optimistic people I have ever known...............his Mooney is currently in ArtCraft for a new paint job!!! 

With all that said, an additional door prize will be one bottle of "TRIBUTE" wine, autographed by Harry himself.  A local winery produces the "TRIBUTE" blend in honor of all that have served us.  With each bottle purchased, a donation is made to Honor Flight of Central California.  That's Harry on the label of the wine bottle photo, standing next to his P-40, May 1944 in China.  Also pictured is Harry and ArtCraft owner Teresa, standing in front of Harry's Mooney.

So, have fun flying your Mooney and come honor and visit with this very special person.  Thank you Captain Harry A. Moyer for your service to America!

Harry had the tiedown next to ours when I was based at SBP a few years ago... nearly always saw him out with his 'C when I came to fly.  He is a class act and fantastic guy to talk to.

Hoping I can make it!

Ok, I'm purposely bumping this thread up and shamelessly promoting our little informal Mooney Fly In, just this one last time [well, maybe not....tee hee].

Of the chance that some of you have missed this post, have forgotten about the fly in, are on the fence, are reading about LOP [again, and again, and again!], are changing the air in your tires that day, trying to ignore my post, or just whatever, here it is again!

Super informal this fly in is!  It's simply a reason to have fun flying your Mooney [weather and all permitting of course] to a place!

It's a terrific opportunity to fly, to meet and hang out with some of us Mooney lovers............to have some Mexican food [looking out the restaurant windows at the runway]...... tour ArtCraft Paint facility [and meet Teresa, the owner].......meet and visit with a very unique Capt. Harry A. Moyer [WWII P40 pilot and current M20E pilot]......maybe win a free ArtCraft detail for your beauty [your Mooney I mean].......win a custom ArtCraft prop sock cover....... win a bottle of TRIBUTE wine autographed by Harry Moyer, and simply enjoy the overall experience!

So, last call [NOT], for this.  We hope to see you, see your Mooney and have some camaraderie, haves some laughs, share some tales [true or not], learn some things and just have a great time!

37 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

It either will or it won't!:P

If it does, we'll just plan the fly in for a day it doesn't :)

I see Mitch is already ontop of this. I am only seeing a 25% chance of rain now for from San Luis and south through LA and San Diego for this Saturday and half of that on Sunday day and afternoon. Sunday night is another story though at 75% but that's only at San Luis and to the north. (sorry Bonal)

Edited by kortopates