Taxi with pitot cover on

DrQuinn

Quick question.  The other day I needed to taxi to another parking spot and decided it was too much trouble to get back out and remove the pitot cover to taxi 100 yards.  Very shortly after startup a loud siren sounded and stayed on until shutdown.  Was it related to the pitot cover and the gears and/or why would it be triggered?

3 hours ago, DrQuinn said:

Quick question.  The other day I needed to taxi to another parking spot and decided it was too much trouble to get back out and remove the pitot cover to taxi 100 yards.  Very shortly after startup a loud siren sounded and stayed on until shutdown.  Was it related to the pitot cover and the gears and/or why would it be triggered?

Weren't you having some trouble with your gear retraction system recently?

15 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Weren't you having some trouble with your gear retraction system recently?

Yes, before Christmas it tripped the breaker on gear up about 4 times in a row.  Next time out, a few degrees warmer mind you, the override button lit up a couple times, pressed it and up she went without a complaint and she's behaved ever since.

17 minutes ago, Marauder said:

If he had a pitot cover that has a red tail on it, I wonder if it didn't blow up and was pushing on the stall vane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does have a "remove before use" red tail.  I've always had my headsets on whenever the stall horn sounds and it isn't for that long.  I didn't wear my headsets while taxiing, is the stall horn that loud?

There should only be two sonic horns in C model. They are all the same decibel level. The stall horn is a continuous tone while the gear horn is a pulsating horn.

So your "pretty steady" horn was likely the stall horn. Chris may be right, but I kinda recall there is too much distance between the pitot tube and the stall warning device but I am probably wrong as that is otherwise a likely scenario if it can reach. But it also could have been stuck in the up position on its own.

Modern Mooney's will have a third and sometimes 4th Sonic horn. The third is used by some autopilots, including the popular BK ap's and not having the electric trim turned on will sound a continuous horn.

2 minutes ago, kortopates said:

There should only be two sonic horns in C model. They are all the same decibel level. The stall horn is a continuous tone while the gear horn is a pulsating horn.

So your "pretty steady" horn was likely the stall horn. Chris may be right, but I kinda recall there is too much distance between the pitot tube and the stall warning device but I am probably wrong as that is otherwise a likely scenario if it can reach. But it also could have been stuck in the up position on its own.

Modern Mooney's will have a third and sometimes 4th Sonic horn. The third is used by some autopilots, including the popular BK ap's and not having the electric trim turned on will sound a continuous horn.

Ahhh, thank you, I believe that solved the mystery.  I also left the wing covers on.

• Like 2

Now the good Dr. is familiar with the sound of the stall horn...

This is also a good thing to test during preflight.  The stall warning systems have been known to go on hiatus for long periods of time.

your avatar needs an image...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam