A10 Warthog

XXX

When I started flying again last yr, my CFI was retired AF and flew the A10 and then went on to fly the U2.  Now besides teaching new students, he also flys for Kendall-Jackson Winery.  With all his flying, yesterday he said that he only had about an hour of Blue knob time.  I think I will take him up in the Mooney and let him get some more blue knob time as a thank you for his service.

Pritch

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pritch said:

When I started flying again last yr, my CFI was retired AF and flew the A10 and then went on to fly the U2.  Now besides teaching new students, he also flys for Kendall-Jackson Winery.  With all his flying, yesterday he said that he only had about an hour of Blue knob time.  I think I will take him up in the Mooney and let him get some more blue knob time as a thank you for his service.

Pritch

Pritch, The Kendall-Jackson people own a farm here in Ocala. Ask your CFI if he flies into OCF.

Nice gesture to take him up in the Mooney for a bit. One of my best flying memories was taking a B-17 pilot up in a Cardinal. He was 89 at the time and did a great job flying.

Steve

Manning the battalion command net, when the A-10s were turned over to us from the Brigade TACP during my battalion commander's textbook perfect withdrawal in contact.  Beauty!!!

They checked in at the IP and asked for some identification of their targets.  DCO looked at me for the answer - so I responded.

"Anything that moves north of Northing 08 along "XXXXXXXXX" Road."  We had withdrawn the two companies holding that position about 10 mins before.

"Roger."

The two of them lined up on the road and let loose with 30 mm in a shallow dive.  

They were lovely to behold.

Just a soldier's view....-_-

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Manning the battalion command net, when the A-10s were turned over to us from the Brigade TACP during my battalion commander's textbook perfect withdrawal in contact.  Beauty!!!

They checked in at the IP and asked for some identification of their targets.  DCO looked at me for the answer - so I responded.

"Anything that moves north of Northing 08 along "XXXXXXXXX" Road."  We had withdrawn the two companies holding that position about 10 mins before.

"Roger."

The two of them lined up on the road and let loose with 25 mm in a shallow dive.  

They were lovely to behold.

Just a soldier's view....-_-

Nice, but it's 30mm.  Sorry.  I was a crew chief on the A-10 so I'm a stickler for her details.  I was with the 74th FS, we were the first fixed wing unit into Bagram in '02.  I swear, it was more like a PR tour than anything else.  Every 30 minutes or so a few Army guys would come up and want to take a look, which we were happy to do.  It's pretty awesome to witness first hand how the branches coalesce to get it done. 

One of the guys asked where my rifle was. I told him, if I need to pick up a rifle, we're already screwed.  That said, I'd have no problem shooting back. 

I do miss that ugly bird.

• Like 1