Mountain crossing question

Htwjr

1 hour ago, astravierso said:

Htwjr,

I have attached an older FAA document on Mountain Flying. AOPA also has an interactive presentation on the subject if you are a member.

Cheers,

Alan

tips_on_mountain_flying.pdf

Pretty decent primer. I knew/know some of the folks who contributed to it. And if you really want a good book to read, look for Sparky Imeson's "Mountain Flying Bible." Most mountain flying texts are geared toward the Rockies, but the only real difference is ultimately the loss of available power due to high density altitude. Beyond the texts, there is nothing that compares with a mountain flying course. For the Rockies, it's the Colorado Pilots Association course (there are also some type-specific courses); For the eastern mountains, I know the Western Carolina Pilots Association sometimes offers mountain training.

BTW, can't resist. When I moved to North Carolina, my friends back in Colorado laughed about the "little mountains." True  "backcountry" excepted, this is as challenging as anything out west:

• Like 1

Excellent point! Mom & Dad live near there.

Crossing the Appalachians isn't really mountain flying, it's just climb over them and go. My minimums from western WV to anywhere in the Carolinas or Georgia (except AVL) is 7500 msl, plus a buffer if the winds are above 25-30 knots. Now I just go further east of Knoxville to get to WV / KY / OH and it's pretty easy. I still like 8500 / 9500 on that route when VFR, or 8000 / 9000 / 10,000 when IFR, but my C doesn't like climbing above 10K unless necessary. 

An alternate route is to head around the mountains completely. You can cross between Chattanooga and Greenville where they are pretty low, or head a little south of Chattanooga to miss them completely. Just avoid the ATL bravo.

For mountains East of the Mississippi... Any naturally aspirated Mooney will do fine.

For mountains West of the Mississippi... A turbo Mooney is the hot ticket.

BTW... my M20C spent most of the 350 cross country hours I flew it, between 12,000 and 13,500. You can go pretty far in a C on very little gas at those altitudes. It once made 16,500 climbing over icing conditions.

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Now the principle question has been answered can i as, (for we dont have mountains where i be live like.) is a general rule of thumb 2 k above for every 15 knots of airspeed?  I plan to fly to switzerland this year and thus will route EGTR to LSGL, via geneva.  Also going to friedrichshafen in Germany.  We wiil fly over the Swiis alps, near the Matterhorn etc.  I dont want to be flying in valleys etc, so any advice for that sort of flight would be gratefully received from you mountain flyers.

Andrew

Fortunately, that portion of the Alps is the foothills with altitudes only a little higher than the US eastern mountains. So the "rules" should be similar to what we see in the US eastern mountains. But recognize this is different kind of flying than the flatlands. Density altitude, performance issues, wind and weather patterns than ca change with every peak and ridge. Nothing substitutes for training, already having and out, and a willingness to divert.

My perspective: I learned how to fly in New England and the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire were part of my student solos. Then I flew for 20 years in the Colorado Rockies for 20 years and gave mountain instruction for 17 of them. I would be asking the locals about wind and weather patterns were I  making that trip.