Ovation Speed Issues

PeterpanMD

14 hours ago, triple8s said:

I'm running a 96 Oh and have a 2 blade Mac. It is like a slug on the takeoff roll till you get to about 80 Kt then she starts picking up steam. It only gets better the faster you go. My bird likes 7500 ft to 14,000 ft and I plan 185kt, usually pretty close to that. Two blade prop is cheap to acquire and cheap to overhaul, just plan on having a long runway if DA is high and you're heavy. Other than that there aren't too many drawbacks, oh except for when you wanna slow down, not much drag when you throttle back it kinda goes into glider mode. I have debated the hartzell 3 blade but because of the money which always seems to find some other place to be spent I have been stuck with the 2 blade Mac, which aint that bad. 

On your Oh be sure to trim the rudder plenty left when in cruise the faster you cruise in level flight the more left rudder it should need to keep the ball centered. Also if you are solo or just 2 SOB look at your elevator and try adding a little ballast in the baggage area. Add a bit until the elevator is straight when trimmed for level flight at cruise speed. Once you figure out how much to ballast to keep elevator straight any deflected control surfaces only add drag. Get these things done and figured out, there will be very few single engine pistons going by you. If you want economy, you can run LOP 12 GPS while cruising 175-180 KT. Hard to argue with that.

Does the 3 blade Scimitar go faster than the 3 blade Mac?  How much more runway do you need with the 2 blade compared to 3?  6 knots increase in speed would rock!  Would electronic ignition like electroair give a few more knots?

21 minutes ago, PeterpanMD said:

Does the 3 blade Scimitar go faster than the 3 blade Mac?  How much more runway do you need with the 2 blade compared to 3?  6 knots increase in speed would rock!  Would electronic ignition like electroair give a few more knots?

You wont like the climb rate of a 2 blade prop. Drag from the 3 blade prop decreases with the thin air at altitude. I find my best cruise speed and economy are in the low to mid teen altitudes compared to my J with the 2 blade prop.

I'm not going to say scientifically that the new engine in my former Ovation contributed to the airspeed indications I was encountering after it was installed, but I would consistently encounter 180 kts true airspeed/2500 RPM at or above 8,000 feet, LOP 50 degrees at approx. 12.6 [slightly more or less at times].  I'd like to think it was, but it could be the "my car goes faster after I wash it" syndrome too! :wacko:

I'll say the Ovation is a great airplane!  Enjoy your new beauty!!!

21 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

I'm not going to say scientifically that the new engine in my former Ovation contributed to the airspeed indications I was encountering after it was installed, but I would consistently encounter 180 kts true airspeed/2500 RPM at or above 8,000 feet, LOP 50 degrees at approx. 12.6 [slightly more or less at times].  I'd like to think it was, but it could be the "my car goes faster after I wash it" syndrome too! :wacko:

I'll say the Ovation is a great airplane!  Enjoy your new beauty!!!

I think your probably on track with your statement. You flew underneath me going to the Watsonville fly in last year and you where clipping along pretty good and passed me. I have no idea what either of our power setting where but I imagine I was doing my standard 173 kts, 2400 rpm, 30 LOP at 12,5 gph. I do give my self a 3-5 kts penalty for air conditioning ducts though.

"I think your probably on track with your statement. You flew underneath me going to the Watsonville fly in last year and you where clipping along pretty good and passed me. I have no idea what either of our power setting where but I imagine I was doing my standard 173 kts, 2400 rpm, 30 LOP at 12,5 gph. I do give my self a 3-5 kts penalty for air conditioning ducts though."

Hi ya!  Yes, I recall.  That was a great time we all had....................more please!!  Wasn't I in a steep dive or flapping my arms also?  :blink:

The two blade is better for cruise, if that's what you're looking for. The 252 gave the most cruise speed for fuel burned and it used a two blade prop. Later when Mooney was doing flight testing for the Encore (updated 252) they tried many prop options and although the 3 blade looked better on the ramp, the two blade always gave them better cruise numbers by a few knots. There are trade-offs with everything,  better cruise = 2 blade, better climb = 3 blade. The 3 blade scimitar top prop probably hits the best sweet spot with cruise and climb speeds, but it's expensive.

175 sounds right to me as well.  I get no better than that in my 2000 Ovation, 280 hp, 3 blade, TKS laden.  
Switching to the 2 blade prop is an interesting suggestion.   Don't forget to get one with the TKS slinger and boots.  

Hey is your mooney green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk