Mooney Fuel Quantity Senders

DaveC

Our senders come with gaskets.  If you need a few to get you by, while you think of upgrading,  we can send a few out gratis.

I guess I am now the Jim Jones of fuel senders according to Steven 

I get mixed messages with gasket material.   Our senders are billet machined housing and relatively thin high quality Mil std/ ASTM traceable Buna N rubber sheet.   We have not had issues or have released a lot of replacement gaskets to the field in 6 years of supporting Cirrus Production 

Eagle Fuel Cells recommends the cork / rubber to a AMS standard - these gaskets are primarily on the top of tank installations for fuel bladders

Both Eagle and ourselves are very picky about where our material comes from - that may be the difference 

Thanks for the feedback.

Talked to the shop that overhaul and repair the send units in the Mooneys and they say --- the gaskets are the same.

In addition, the bulk of the gaskets made are 5 holes for GA aircraft (or in the bulk of GA aircraft)  and just about ANY sender unit you buy as a replacement is made to fit the same existing mounts.

Not converting just needed some gaskets to stop a drip before it becomes a leak and something much worst.

Yep, the A&P will have to do the rest of the  job :-)  So far no other issues found in this area.  As you say, trying to stay ahead of the curve.

Edited by Mark Pavinich

Cork gaskets can be good and last even longer if you treat them; however, they break down,

Viton gaskets are good, but they can potential displace the material  during compression ...

Regardless, they both have pros and cons --- nothing is perfect and you cannot win all the time, simply because nothing is maintenance free or will last forever.

I think the probably is not enough money :(:)

Edited by Mark Pavinich

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

If you have cork gaskets you are ready for the update.  The cork compresses and leaks with time.  It was good for its time.  Cork appears in a couple of places and falls apart over time.  Engine valve covers are another place to look...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I learned the hard way about an exception to Anthony's advice: the "rubber" gasket is thicker than the cork. In my case (M20E w O&N bladders) that slight difference allowed the rod of the sender to hang up on the back of a nut on the back of the flange around the access hole. When that happened the float remained in the "full" position. Going back to the cork gasket solved the problem. It is certainly possible the bend of the rod could be adjusted slightly to allow the use of the rubber gasket. Since changing the gasket requires that the tank be drained, I will not mess with that until I have to. The other tank still has the rubber gasket which has not hung up.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, good advise.  We are just getting started with our process and will keep everything you and the other mentioned in mind during our process. 

I have wet wings, perhaps that may help in our case.

Yep must drain fuel tanks.  Everything is labor intensive :-)