Repainting with traditional scheme

Flash

I'm taking my 1993 MSE to T&P Aero Refinishers in Salinas on Wednesday to get it re-painted, and I have a question for the group: Is there any reason I shouldn't keep the current, traditional paint scheme? I have two reasons for wanting to keep the familiar look: (1) I like it, and (2) I have had a lot of fun in N315L in the past 16 1/2  years, and every time I see it I have fond memories, and I don't want to feel like I'm looking at a different plane than the one I love. The only down side I can see is that I may not get a perfect match for what I have now, and that this difference would ruin the desired effects of Nos. 1 and 2 above. Am I missing something? Have others repainted with the same scheme, and if so, were they later happy with that choice?

8dfc85cc4d525c9e1e68a18fb670e53bc4b74b8d.jpg

5196b3ae3dd2c8aed4aad628c3f8332e2817d3e4.jpg

• Like 1

My opinion only, it's strictly a matter of choice and personal preference.  I've walked 3 Mooney airplanes through the paint process.  Two of them, the existing paint schemes were changed from the original to more recent Mooney paint trends.

My most recent Mooney is my new [to me] little old M20D, which I've dubbed as my "Mini-Mooney".  Due to this planes history and its vintage, I chose to honor and semi-emulate a Mooney paint scheme from 1963 era. 

If you are attached to your current scheme, by all means, just have it reproduced.  If not, then off you go to what will make you pleased every time you lay eyes upon your beauty!

Regarding replicating your current scheme, I will emphatically state that Tony at ArtCraft is quite an artist and will quite accurately reproduce for you, colors and all, or create a design for you.  If you provide quality photos to him, he will make your reproduction happen.  You can even participate hands on, during the scheme layout...............I did each time.

Also, at ArtCraft, you are warmly welcomed with open arms and open doors to their facility, and you are more than welcome to participate, first hand, as your plane goes through the paint process. You can be there, in the paint facility as much as you choose. 

As a disclaimer, I am not in any way, associated financially with ArtCraft.  I simply admire their product, having gone through it 3 times. 

Here's my little "Mini-Mooney fresh from ArtCraft Paint.

MM Tail_crop.jpg

MM.jpg

M2.JPG

M1.JPG

• Like 4

I like the idea of a scheme that gives a nod to the original that you like and puts a newer twist on it to freshen the look. Perhaps more up to date colors and wider or narrower trim strips. I don't know if Scheme Designers can do a design without a swoosh...:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Modern paint, modern taping process, computer graphics, Mooney experience are all very helpful for getting exactly what you want.

There will be no room for creative interpretation when the customer says...  'I want exactly this'

Make sure your painter understands your request.  Ask him how he is going to meet your expectations.

Saving money will be found in not making any mistakes.

Take lots of detailed pictures before.  Once the old paint comes off, all you have are pictures and fuzzy memories...

PP ideas only,...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Its your aircraft make it what you want, it's not like you are putting a nasty paint scheme on there.  My J came to me with the same scheme but different colors, I liked it but changed it when I had ArtCraft do the repaint.  However if I had all the fond memories as you do I would have kept it.  BTW another vote for ArtCraft they are honest people with good attitudes that do GREAT work at a fair price.

Edited by Jeev
  • Like 1

I repainted my Mooney 201 Missile Exactly the original scheme.  I only had to please myself.  Many great memories...

I bought the plane new in 1985 without factory paint with the advise coming from Roy LoPresti then the president of Mooney. and my neighbor.

Took it to Poplowski,  Ennis ,TX   then the best painter in this part of the country.  Thirty (yes 30 ) years later had his son repaint .

Note:  the paint nowdays is NOT equal to the paint back then thanks to the EPA trying to "save us"

Bob

"Note:  the paint nowdays is NOT equal to the paint back then thanks to the EPA trying to "save us"

Not wishing to contradict or disagree with the above statement, the new owner of my former Ovation, was quite impressed with the quality of paint on the plane which was refinished in February of 2009.  He, along with myself were in agreement that the paint finish appeared to be in great condition.  

In my opinion, the paint looked still as though the plane had just come out of the paint shop.

i believe care of the paint finish after the fact, will have a major affect on longevity.

19 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Sherwin-Williams Jetglo and Imron AF400 are still excellent paints, as good as anything ever produced. Not the same can be said for the other brands.  Particularly al

My paint from 1998 and always hangared has Imron for the 3 accent colors which still look new. The Matterhorn White, not so much.

• Like 1

For a 1993 MSE, the codes were:

Top color: Really White.Color number WP696, Manufactured by P&L.
Bottom color: Balboa Blue. Color number T?10122. Manufactured by P&L. I'm not sure of the character after the "T"
Accent color: Post Red. Color number TR10030. Manufactured by P&L.
Stripes: Gold. Color number H8066U. Manufactured by Dupont.

If you love how your plane looks and plan to keep it a while, paint it exactly the way you want it - everyone else with an opinion can safely be told where to stick it ;)However in case you are Pokemon fan, do consider this stylish and eye-catching Pikachu scheme!

Pokemon2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Sterling Matterhorn White # 1528.

Ms. Google leads me to:

http://sterlinglacquer.com/products.html

I think the Sterling on your plane might be urethane but is also just like Alumigrip, it is a very cheap paint that is not nearly in the same league as Jetglo and Imron. 

I guess I'll have to be the dissenting opinion.  I really like the newer paint schemes.  I do appreciate the traditional styles, and I love seeing a plane that's seen lots of care.  If it's my money, I'd love to have something different.  I don't know if my short body could pull off the Ovation/Acclaim paint scheme, but I'd be open to the idea if it did.  An example is this plane from one of our members.  It's a 1968 F model, and I love it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I guess I'll have to be the dissenting opinion.  I really like the newer paint schemes.  I do appreciate the traditional styles, and I love seeing a plane that's seen lots of care.  If it's my money, I'd love to have something different.  I don't know if my short body could pull off the Ovation/Acclaim paint scheme, but I'd be open to the idea if it did.  An example is this plane from one of our members.  It's a 1968 F model, and I love it.

So it this. A modified acclaim / ovation style. The waterline is higher, tail is solid, and a little more color on the wingtip. 

IMG_8274.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

I think the Sterling on your plane might be urethane but is also just like Alumigrip, it is a very cheap paint that is not nearly in the same league as Jetglo and Imron. 

Byron, I've been suspicious that even though the log entry refers to polyurethane paint that the white was inferior. I wonder if that is common, to use a cheaper paint on the larger areas.

IMG_20170130_160057860[1].jpg