Garmin 430W RS-232 Error

BigTex

Guys - On a flight today I started receiving the following message " Not receiving 232 input data on channel #2" on my Garmin 430W.  Any thoughts on what might be causing this error/message?
20170102_133801.jpg

Is there anything connect d to your 430? JPI, stormscope? It means that it is not receiving information that it is supposed to receive form one external box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that doesn't work look at the wiring diagram and trace the pin. Make sure it's seated not damaged. Once it goes into the connector and harness it may be darn near impossible to trace. You may be able to rule in out which device is not providing data. How is altitude sent to your GPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go into the Setup and check what RS232 port #2 is configured 
it may be fuel flow or TIS-a traffic or altitude encoding ....

Looking at the configuration screen, it looks like it might be the fuel transducer might be acting up.baf0bdc6f6d9e4b09cf083e4195d457d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BigTex said:

Looking at the configuration screen, it looks like it might be the fuel transducer might be acting up.baf0bdc6f6d9e4b09cf083e4195d457d.jpg

Config setup is incorrect...ch 2 should be input =shadin fuel output  =aviation ...Adsb out should be on another ch altogether say ch 3 or 4....may need to be rewired for max function

Config setup is incorrect...ch 2 should be input =shadin fuel output  =aviation ...Adsb out should be on another ch altogether say ch 3 or 4....may need to be rewired for max function

Interesting. This has been wired this way for several years and this error just now started occurring every so often. I'll take it to my avionics shop to see what they say.

Thanks for the guidance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mean since you have to 3 empty ports (channels)I think it would work better splitting the two devices also what make model Adsb transponder?

I have a GTX330ES. I'll need to check what fuel flow is installed. It was in the plane prior to my purchase.

reminds me of a previous thread on avionics intalls . 

I do believe that avionics install have become easier from a hardware standpoint ( what used to require several wire now just requires 1 or 2 via an RS 232 or ARINC 429) 

however, settings have become more subtle 

Edited by OR75

18 hours ago, OR75 said:

reminds me of a previous thread on avionics intalls . 

I do believe that avionics install have become easier from a hardware standpoint ( what used to require several wire now just requires 1 or 2 via an RS 232 or ARINC 429) 

however, settings have become more subtle 

Yeah but you still have to run the wires and the pins can be really hard to get to

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Yeah but you still have to run the wires and the pins can be really hard to get to

I won't disagree.  That's why a good crimping tool is a must have

And you would not believe how many pounds of wire I removed from the plane when un-installing and ADF and a remote DME.

Most avionics shops just leave the old wires there and terminate them. 

4 minutes ago, OR75 said:

I won't disagree.  That's why a good crimping tool is a must have

And you would not believe how many pounds of wire I removed from the plane when un-installing and ADF and a remote DME.

Most avionics shops just leave the old wires there and terminate them. 

That's really crude work leaving old wires...no I ment the back side of Garmin trays where the pins insert have those damned aluminum guards the prevent easy access to pin blocks after initial install

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

That's really crude work leaving old wires...no I ment the back side of Garmin trays where the pins insert have those damned aluminum guards the prevent easy access to pin blocks after initial install

You would be surprised how many shops do not want to remove old wires.

On connectors, I know what you mean. The current connectors are very cramped, especially since many wire require shielding.

The worse I have seen are probably audio panels'. GMA 340 or PS8000 where almost all pins are used.

I wish those manufacturers did build an extension for the connectors

9 minutes ago, OR75 said:

You would be surprised how many shops do not want to remove old wires.

On connectors, I know what you mean. The current connectors are very cramped, especially since many wire require shielding.

The worse I have seen are probably audio panels'. GMA 340 or PS8000 where almost all pins are used.

I wish those manufacturers did build an extension for the connectors

The cleanest install on a PS Engineering Audio Panel is to have them make the harness.

http://www.ps-engineering.com/docs/PMA8000B_Harn.pdf