Difficult start after 10+ days of no flying

Tommy

Hi folks!

Recently I have noticed starting problem with my plane 1981 J. If I don't fly for more than 10 days, it's behaves as if the battery is empty when I turn the key first time (the prop hardly turns). But after turning the key a few times the prop starts to turn and each time I turn the key, the prop moves a little bit more until the engine catches. If I then fly within the next 10 to 14 days, no problem whatsoever starting it - cold or hot.

Anyone has similar problem before? :blink:

Any advice will be appreciated!

Cheers

Tommy

This has happened twice to me. Once it was the battery dying, and once it was the starter dying. Same symptoms with starting you describe above, minus the 10-day thing which maybe makes a battery issue seem more likely?

Simple test is to swap in a loaner battery and see if the issue goes away. You can do that yourself with 20 minutes and a screwdriver.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

1) Read the label on the Battery...

2) If it says Gill... follow Lance's advice above...

3) If it says Concorde... check out how old it is

4) If it is five years old... follow Lance's advice

5) if there is a new Concorde in there... move on to the starter...

6) Solenoids can get old and dirty...

7) Battery connections can get oxidized. Clean and grease...

8) Starters age as well. Connections get corroded too.

9) check the label on the starter. What does it say?

10) getting the proper battery, attached to the right starter, connected with good switch, gear can almost generate forward thrust electrically like a hybrid...

Fun PP ideas I have learned around here...

Best regards,

-a-

I proactively replaced my Concorde just before Labor Day 2016, as it was getting slow and I was headed out to nowhere; it was installed new in Dec 2010. Without that trip, I'd have tried to make it to my annual a week ago.

Didn't notice it at the time, but the IA looked at my old one and noticed the negative terminal was cracked and a piece was missing . . . Still can't complain about the life of it.

While he was there, we checked the dynamic balance on the prop. The plane had not been cranked in 2-3 weeks; it was purring softly in less than one revolution--I think I saw 2 blades go by before the Hartzell 3-blade prop became a blur.

Hopefully not thread drift here.  If I don't fly for a couple of weeks it takes a few prop rotations to kick off but not battery related. If I fly at least once a week the engine will start up very quickly(couple of compression strokes) Seems very similar to an older car.  Go figure, I just thought this was normal.

When a battery is cold the chemical reactions don't work as well. The first time you crank it heats up the battery and it works a little better. On the next attempt more current flows so it heats up even more and so on until it starts.

I've read about cold weather pilots doing an initial crank to heat up the battery then waiting 5 minuets for the heat to equalize and then start the plane.