M20K Aux Power Access Door

eft

That's an unhappy situation.  I see it is on a removable panel, which should make it a little easier to fix.  The problem is that neither pin nor spring can be replaced without unriveting the box (in your case that box that holds the elec. junction) from the panel.  On my plane it is the O2 door and it is not on a removable panel, it is on the fuselage skin.  So repairing the broken spring is going to someday require taking off the interior panel, unriveting the box, installing the new door spring, riveting everything back on, and touching up the paint or repainting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

That's an unhappy situation.  I see it is on a removable panel, which should make it a little easier to fix.  The problem is that neither pin nor spring can be replaced without unriveting the box (in your case that box that holds the elec. junction) from the panel.  On my plane it is the O2 door and it is not on a removable panel, it is on the fuselage skin.  So repairing the broken spring is going to someday require taking off the interior panel, unriveting the box, installing the new door spring, riveting everything back on, and touching up the paint or repainting.

The external power port is not attached to the panel. 

What I think I see...

The door frame and door are attached to the panel.

When the access panel is removed the door and door frame come with it.

The socket for the GPU is left in place on the inside of the aircraft.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

6 hours ago, jlunseth said:

What are the seven rivets for?

@carusoam is correct. The door is attached to an oval frame via the hinge. The frame is riveted to the removable panel. It is presumably there to act as a stiffener to prevent the sheet metal panel from bending or cracking as the door is used. 

Behind the panel the external power receptacle is mounted to the battery box in such a way that it aligns with the opening in the panel.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2017 at 10:18 AM, Oscar Avalle said:

Call jerry Presly 1 (423) 231-3491 he may be able to help you. At least he was able to get me some parts that nobody else had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar, just a shout out for sharing Jerry's name and number.  I needed a "part" and called him on a whim and I'll be dang if he didn't have the part and it came off the same year as my J.

So, thank you!

Rick

• Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 11:42 PM, jlunseth said:

What are the seven rivets for?

Another piece of aluminum that is riveted to the painted piece.  This forms the inner "shelf" for the door to close against.    Kind of reverse how they do the fuel tank access ports.

On 1/31/2017 at 6:39 PM, jlunseth said:

Damn.  That explains why the previous owner put a screw in to keep mine closed.  Could never figure out why there were so cheap about fixing the spring.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:09 PM, Zulee said:

Oscar, just a shout out for sharing Jerry's name and number.  I needed a "part" and called him on a whim and I'll be dang if he didn't have the part and it came off the same year as my J.

So, thank you!

Rick

The power of MS is intercontinental awesome...

And timeless...

Oscar may have moved twice since he posted Jerry’s number...

Good to hear Jerry is still supplying parts.  I just left his MS address in another thread...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/31/2017 at 3:08 PM, mikeyhaley said:

My spring broke. Thanks for the P/N. Where can I order the spring? I checked Aircraft Spruce and couldn't find it.

I’ve been testing an idea put forward by an innovative engineer- strategic placement of two neodymium (powerful, small rare earth) magnets. One inside the fuselage & another inside the power door, both epoxied in. See picture below for the door magnet placement in the finger tab. 50 hours flight time & still in place.

r1jhuf9sum8t.jpeg

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread.  Picked up my plane from Gulf Coast and I think while installing on external power the rusted spring finally failed.  Just seeing if anyone has a part supplier or has come up with a better way to keep the power door closed.  I have the part number. Mechanic will call MSC tomorrow. Lasar was out of stock.

My oxygen door spring broke, but with the prospect of having to unrivet to replace spring the previous owner opted to use a strip of Velcro on the inside edge of the door. Since the relative wind is pushing the door closed it’s never been an issue and seems pretty secure.  When the Velcro eventually loses tack very easy to clean and reapply. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:

Just seeing if anyone has a part supplier or has come up with a better way to keep the power door closed.

Right after COVID I needed a spring and it took some time for my shop to find one.  You might get a couple if you find some!  I probably should think about getting one or two and just hanging on to them too.

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

I usually use LPS 2 for the main and baggage door hinges.

Any particular reason you don't use the Mooney recommended Tri-Flow?

What I guess is now what's called Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant since they have so many products now.

7 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Any particular reason you don't use the Mooney recommended Tri-Flow?

What I guess is now what's called Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant since they have so many products now.

I think Tri-Flow is recommended for rod ends. My M20J SMM recommends MIL-L-7870 oil for hinges. I don’t think it matters much.