Santa Monica Airport Officially to close in 2028

4 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

To understand why this is Huerta's slap in the face to the Republicans, consider two facts: Chao is married to Mitch McConnell, Senate Majority Leader. Monica plans for the airport's future.

Is it just me or does Mitch McConnell look like a turtle?

My company flies jets in and out of SMO frequently.  Moving these flights to LAX, or any surrounding GA airport will suck!

Sounds like the bizjets don't have much time left under the agreement.....am I reading this right?

3500' is too short for regular ops by a jet.

" The terms allow the city to immediately reduce the length of the 4,973-foot runway to 3,500 feet, a move that would substantially reduce jet traffic and charter operations. "

Edited by Mooneymite

On 1/31/2017 at 7:04 AM, Mooneymite said:

My company flies jets in and out of SMO frequently.  Moving these flights to LAX, or any surrounding GA airport will suck!

Sounds like the bizjets don't have much time left under the agreement.....am I reading this right?

3500' is too short for regular ops by a jet.

" The terms allow the city to immediately reduce the length of the 4,973-foot runway to 3,500 feet, a move that would substantially reduce jet traffic and charter operations. "

Wouldn't this reduction in runway length only add to the loud jet noise the locals so inherently loathe?  Correct me if I'm wrong but some of the smaller business jets and VLJs can still operate in and out of 3,500' but I'm sure the thrust reversers will have to be utilized rather aggressively upon landing.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Wouldn't this reduction in runway length only add to the loud jet noise the locals so inherently loathe?  Correct me if I'm wrong but some of the smaller business jets and VLJs can still operate in and out of 3,500' but I'm sure the thrust reversers will have to be utilized rather aggressively upon landing.  

We are still good, Our BFL at GW is right below 3500ft dry. (No TR)

All wet senerios-we are out of luck both take off and landing. 

Netjets and JetSuite are already talking about what they will do. 

Up's KingAir 350s won't work, but the KA250 will. 

These companies will figure it out. I bet there will be more little airplanes that make up the slop. 

Atlantic will stay, if the City kicks them out now, they will be in violation of their grant obligations. 

JimP- I'd Like to speak with your developer. Our company has serious intrest at SMO. Any talk or below deck info would be helpful. 

One large operator (2 GIV & 2 challengers) pulled out before the news hit. They are a large slush funded company. I'm sure their management knew something prior.  VNY loves all this BS. 

Crazy,

-Matt

On 2/2/2017 at 7:35 AM, Jim Peace said:

SMO will be closed within 3 to 4 years......spoke to a local developer about it the other day.........

It will not make it to 2028.

I think there's a federal judge who would disagree.  He just signed a consent decree that requires the city to keep the airport open through 2028.

http://aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/february/02/huerta-explains-santa-monica-deal

Mooneyspace friends,

Please consider supporting the Santa Monica Airport Association (SMAA). As you see from discussions in this thread, the deal was reached without stakeholder input and public comment and is a complete departure from the long-standing principle that the federal government will fight hard to preserve airport infrastructure releasing the City from the commitment it made after World War II to operate the airport in perpetuity. With legal options dwindling after the FAA and the City entered into the settlement agreement, SMAA is thrusted to the front lines of the battle to ensure SMO’s existence beyond Dec. 31, 2028.

The $25 "National Supporter" membership will help us keep SMO and other airports around the country that are looking to the City of Santa Monica for a "closure recipe" open to protect jobs and small businesses that rely on the airport and defend critical access by air to the region. SMO is an essential link in the national aviation system and we need to ensure that it will continue to serve and inspire future generations as it has done for the first 100 years of its existence.

http://www.santamonicaairport.info/smaa_press_release_friday_february_3rd_2017

https://santamonicaairport.nationbuilder.com/join_online

Will this boy seen on the observation deck at SMO grow up to be able to make a KSMO landing entry in his logbook (in a Mooney of course)?  It is up to us to rally together and make that difference.

SMO - Boy with Airplane on Observation Deck.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

I think there's a federal judge who would disagree.  He just signed a consent decree that requires the city to keep the airport open through 2028.

http://aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/february/02/huerta-explains-santa-monica-deal

I bet a meal at CMA that it will be closed within 4 years.......

What a great airport and I'm sad to see it go! I just flew home this morning from KSMO after a great evening and a fantastic dinner last night. The house I stay in is literally 4 blocks on the approach end of the runway and I'm really surprised how unitrusive the noise is. Too bad!

• Like 2

The airport holds special meaning for me as well. Two decades ago for my 33rd birthday, my wife gave me as a gift two hours in a 727 simulator with an outfit that was on the field. Prior to strapping myself in, the instructor wanted to sit me down with me in the classroom to go over the systems and procedures but I told him that I wanted to sit down to see how I would do based solely on the knowledge that I already had on the aircraft. Of a dozen or so take off and landings that we did that day, I blew only one, which would have resulted in the strut coming through the wing had it been the real deal.

Other than that, we had attended a few charity galas that were held in one of the hangars.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great article supporting NBAA’s cause in the fight for SMO. In the 20th Century we worked hard to innovate and develop aviation and proudly built the support infrastructure that it requires as we marveled at new ways flying connected the world. Who would have thought that at the turn of the 21st Century we would be fighting to keep our nation's runways from destruction?

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/going-direct-faa-enemy/#.WMAkELhOKaM

Please consider donating to the Santa Monica Airport Association as a "National Supporter."  This is a national issue and this volunteer organization is playing a critical role to keep the runway from being shortened in the short term and the airport staying open beyond 2028.  We need to let them know that pilots around the country are behind them.  This is a small effort to defend SMO, protect our respective home airports, and our nation's aviation infrastructure as a whole.

• Like 1

Gang-

Alex as you can tell is both a Mooney owner and works for NBAA.  He's actually my next door hanger neighbor and we've know each other for a good decade now.  He's been fighting the fight at NBAA for some time and is doing a lot of good work to keep SMO open.  Please do whatever you can to support him and if he asks for calls, petitions to be signed, whatever . . . do it if you agree.

The SMO battle continues to lay a dangerous precedence as for future "in perpetuity" airports nationwide that developers want for land OR for the heights of surrounding bulidings to be able to be redeveloped.

Great job Alex.

-Seth

• Like 2

I have many happy memories of my Dad taking me flying with him on the weekends, flying 150s out of Gunnell, Cherokees out of Santa Monica Flyers and Mooney's out of Ace. Can't even begin to count the hours of walking the ramps with him, looking at the airplanes. Great times!