XE Vision Landing Lamps Installed

Little Dipper

My XE Vision landing lamps were installed on my Ovation..   MY A&P said they fit well and installed easily.   He said the only tough part was changing out the circuit breaker in my panel.   I am pleased with the end result.   These completely drown out the stock taxi lamps which I plan to replace next.  

Hangar Image.JPG

Landing Lights Lighting Neighbors Hangar.JPG

Side Shot 1.JPG

Side Shot.JPG

Taxi Lights On Neighbors Hanagar.JPG

View Head On.JPG

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Any heat issues while on the ground in your trials?

Looks like darkness has been repealed with those lights on.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I'm going to check that out this afternoon at the hangar but I don't believe it is any issue at all.

Just now, PeytonM said:

I'm curious: why did you need to change the CB?  Current draw is less than stock lights. 

Less draw,  10 amps.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Little Dipper said:

No kidding.  Get an STC.  Same thing goes for LEDs.

The AC specifically calls out HID's. No mention of LED's, which have the same fit form and function as incandescent bulbs. Mine has an XEVision 50W too, but it was installed before the AC was published. 

For the record I think it's completely stupid. The fact it's hidden inside a document about cockpit displays is bizarre. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

This should be a no-Brainer for FAA.  I also had this installation completed (with a field approval BEFORE the unnecessary clamp down occured) and years later could not be happier.  Power drain was a problem before.  I literally could not see out of the old sealed beam light.  It was unsafe.  The HID is not hot, low draw and works.  I use all the time after engine start and it has worked without issue for hundreds of hours.  This is a BIG safety of flight upgrade that is just WRONG to not be easily available for install in GA aircraft.  The install took all of about 4 hours with paperwork...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The AC specifically calls out HID's. No mention of LED's, which have the same fit form and function as incandescent bulbs. Mine has an XEVision 50W too, but it was installed before the AC was published. 

Thanks.  That is interesting.   The FISDO did tell me that a STC was necessary for and LED installation.

Thanks.  That is interesting.   The FISDO did tell me that a STC was necessary for and LED installation.

What you will find is no two FSDOs are created the same. I had a sub panel approved in one FSDO and asked to be removed when I had additional work done in another FSDO's jurisdiction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

What you will find is no two FSDOs are created the same. I had a sub panel approved in one FSDO and asked to be removed when I had additional work done in another FSDO's jurisdiction.

And that's just wrong! The rules need to be consistent, and that does NOT mean everyone should match the most restrictive interpretation available . . .

• Like 2

that's about enough to make the average pilot go bang their head against a wall.

• Like 1

Marauder  

Question?   When that happened what did you do?   You had a valid STC under what basis could the FISDO ask you to remove it?

Marauder  
Question?   When that happened what did you do?   You had a valid STC under what basis could the FISDO ask you to remove it?

In my case it wasn't an STC. So, by their interpretation, I had to remove it. I think if the STC is clear in the requirements, I have a hard time believing they would force you to remove something.

4 hours ago, Little Dipper said:

They're wrong about that. PAR46 is PAR46 when you have the exact same dimensions and the same screw terminals on the back. But to their credit they say STC for everything.  It's far easier to call it what it is, a minor alteration, and log it without notifying them. They aren't required to be notified for those. 

I've done lots of XeVision HID installs under Field Approvals. It isn't a minor alteration since the technology is different from incandescent lamps. The ballasts, high voltage cables, and igniters can emit RFI that can interfere with radios and navigation equipment if the shielding is not up to par. As such HID light systems have to comply with DO-160 and be tested for interference with VHF radio systems on specified frequencies, just like GPS navigation equipment is.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...