My first airplane!

Bought from a fellow MSpacer (through a broker though since he was out of country) who unselfishly sold her because he didn't want her to sit for two years while he was out on service.

Since purchasing in December, I've put about 20 hours on it. Huge thanks to various MSCers who have reached out to offer their help and support, notably DXB and a few others who I've been exchanging messages with for the past year.

Meet my name plane, lovingly named Pistachio, a '68 M20G. Here she is on the day I brought her home. (Yes she's in a hangar)

broughthome.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

p5.jpg

p4.jpg

p6.jpg

She's been a blast to fly. I've certainly experienced some issues in the first twenty hours -- my 430W knob stopped working so I had to send it into Garmin for their ~$900 flat fee repair. The donuts on her are original from 1968. Despite having 4,000+ hours, somehow they are still to spec and pass annual. I know this is a larger expense I'll probably have to cough up relatively soon, but it's pretty cool that the donuts are still original on this bird!

I also am not sure sometimes of what is "normal" and what is not, since I'm not used to Mooney's. For instance, there's a small little vibration in cruise flight sometimes and I'm not sure if it's just the way the plane cruises or if it's another issue. Despite these things, I love her and want to take good care of her and work anything out. I'm grateful to the previous owner for taking loving care and hope to learn, grow and have wonderful adventures with her as well!

Thanks to the MS community for all your knowledge! I hope to continue to learn and contribute over time.

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 11

As for the vibration, I would look at the motor mounts and shims. There are threads on this site that are detailed about having the engine shimmed correctly and I would suspect some of the vibration could be starting from there.

Congratulations on Pistacio.  She has a great look and thank you for not naming her Kermit.

Question. Which upgrade is that in the nose?

DF

man if I was you Id get a few more clocks for the yoke ;)

Is the PC system removed?  I dont see the yoke button.

Interior looks nice.  Do the wires coming off the 696 not drag across your legs?

congrats welcome to the club!!

15 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Question. Which upgrade is that in the nose?

I was wondering that as well.  Doesnt look like LASARs.

I'm also curious what's on the yoke. The right one looks like a clock (maybe), but the numbers in the left are spaced out wrong . . .

His guppy mouth closure looks a lot like mine. Not sure about it's provenance, but my 201 windshield came from SWTA, with two access panels outside.

image.jpg

2 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

man if I was you Id get a few more clocks for the yoke ;)

Is the PC system removed?  I dont see the yoke button.

Interior looks nice.  Do the wires coming off the 696 not drag across your legs?

congrats welcome to the club!!

I was wondering that as well.  Doesnt look like LASARs.

Has a Pathfinder P2A instead. It works poorly, sort of like a wing leveler. I can get it to hold a heading on the heading bug, but turning to a heading is iffy at best.

Edited by AlexLev
  • Like 1

Alex, lot's of good luck with her, I love you statement "I love her and, and want to take good care of her"' just the kind of Pilots our awesome ships need. I believe they may be having a sale on timers at spruce if you need another.

• Like 2

Alex,

Congratulations on your new bird! I did see it on the Airmods' website and it looks very nice.

I'm curious about the performance of the G models. Can you share what real performance you are seeing with the 180 hp engine? Thanks.

Fernando

14 minutes ago, prflyer said:

Alex,

Congratulations on your new bird! I did see it on the Airmods' website and it looks very nice.

I'm curious about the performance of the G models. Can you share what real performance you are seeing with the 180 hp engine? Thanks.

Fernando

Certainly. I cruise at 136 knots (no wind) at about 24 squared. Not bad for an O-360 IMHO.

• Like 1

Another 'G owner!  I bought mine about 18 months ago and it was my first airplane too.  I think you'll love it.  Congratulations and welcome!

The people here on MS have been immensely helpful as I've asked all those new-owner questions.  If you add a location to your profile its easier to provide help.

11 hours ago, AlexLev said:

I cruise at 136 knots (no wind) at about 24 squared. Not bad for an O-360 IMHO.

TAS?  That actually sounds a little slow at 24 squared,even for a 'G.  I usually go 8500/9500 ft, 2450 rpm, throttle cracked just enough to make the MP needle move (about 20" at those altitudes), and see roughly 135 ktas on 9 gph.

R

8 hours ago, 3914N said:

TAS?  That actually sounds a little slow at 24 squared,even for a 'G.  I usually go 8500/9500 ft, 2450 rpm, throttle cracked just enough to make the MP needle move (about 20" at those altitudes), and see roughly 135 ktas on 9 gph.

R

I bet he means IAS - I've been routinely seeing high 140's kts TAS while running hard at 24-squared at 4-6k msl in order to re-break in some reconditioned cylinders on my C. I doubt the G is that much slower. However I have a hard time leaning to less than 10.5 gph though at that setting while keeping CHTs in check.

BTW, though tastes differ, I love that particular vintage paint design, pistachio and all :lol:.  I corresponded with AlexLev some during his purchase and am sure he will be a huge asset to the Mooney community.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

Why 24 squared ?

The Key Number for our O-360 engine is 47, which yields 65% power. Add MP + (RPM/100); 24 + 2400/100 = 48. I'd not run ther long term. How are yiu leaning? Since rebuilding my carb heat box and doghouse, my C will actually run 25° LOP at altitude, but I don't cruise there because I don't have an engine monitor. And it's kind of slow . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

The Key Number for our O-360 engine is 47, which yields 65% power. Add MP + (RPM/100); 24 + 2400/100 = 48. I'd not run ther long term. How are yiu leaning? Since rebuilding my carb heat box and doghouse, my C will actually run 25° LOP at altitude, but I don't cruise there because I don't have an engine monitor. And it's kind of slow . . .

Interesting. Per my POH, 24-squared gives %hp in the 75-80% range depending on altitude and actually increases with altitude at a given MP/RPM setting - which that equation does not seem to take into account.  I've been running there the last few hours just to break in reworked cylinders, but it certainly does limit how much I can lean while keeping my hottest CHT under 380.  I agree it's not an ideal power setting for routine use based on that info.  But should I not be leaning at all if I'm really at 80% power?  But then FF will be something ridiculous by C model standards (13.5gph).  

21 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Why 24 squared ?

Hm, well I generally go 24 squared only if I'm down low at 3500 and want to go fast..the IAS is about 145/150 at 24 squared. Otherwise, I cruise at 2450RPM/22" or so.

Edited by AlexLev

19 hours ago, DXB said:

Interesting. Per my POH, 24-squared gives %hp in the 75-80% range depending on altitude and actually increases with altitude at a given MP/RPM setting - which that equation does not seem to take into account.  I've been running there the last few hours just to break in reworked cylinders, but it certainly does limit how much I can lean while keeping my hottest CHT under 380.  I agree it's not an ideal power setting for routine use based on that info.  But should I not be leaning at all if I'm really at 80% power?  But then FF will be something ridiculous by C model standards (13.5gph).  

You can lean at higher power settings but to keep CHTs acceptable you might need to lean to 100 or 125 ROP if you're at ~75% power. With 4 cyl EDM you can be more aggressive.