IFD 440 integration with handheld?

Drumstick

• 1 year later...

Will the IFD440 cross-fill a flight plan into the GPSmap 496? (Have a GNS430W currently talking to a GPSmap 496.)

What about integration with the Aera 660? Debating if I want to keep a second screen where the 496 is ... It is kind of nice to have terrain up on one, and synthetic vision would be nice to have, too, while I'm waiting on a SkyView HDX STC/PMA...

Edit: Looks like synthetic vision requires an external AHRS source (GTX345, GDL-39, or FS-210?), potentially less interested now ... (Working on getting a Stratux AHRS talking to ForeFlight on the iPad, while using the FreeFlight for GPS / traffic / weather...)

Edited by chrixxer

I think that was a design error Avidyne made with the 550.  You are correct, to get full SV you must provide an AHRS input.  They should have incorporated that in the 550 design and not require the input.  That is where the flight path vector will come from on the display.  Without that input, you will not get the FPV.  I made a suggestion a few years back to them that they should use an AHRS instead of just a attitude source.  Fell on deaf ears.  You'll get the functionality you're looking for from foreflight and a stratus 2.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tony said:

I think that was a design error Avidyne made with the 550.  You are correct, to get full SV you must provide an AHRS input.  They should have incorporated that in the 550 design and not require the input.  That is where the flight path vector will come from on the display.  Without that input, you will not get the FPV.  I made a suggestion a few years back to them that they should use an AHRS instead of just a attitude source.  Fell on deaf ears.  You'll get the functionality you're looking for from foreflight and a stratus 2.  

Absolutely not true - the ARS (Attitude reference system, not heading) is built in to the IFD550 and is outstanding.

Heading obviously needs to input if you want the Total Velocity Vector. I had the shop use the heading from the King HSI.

I believe in the above post that @chrixxer was referring to attitude needing to put input to the Garmin Aera 660.

1231073405_ScreenShot2018-05-24at8_39_20AM.thumb.png.8a68d6f7fd14085b4bee456d4f588351.png

Lance,  I know I'm a poor communicator but you just said the same thing I did.  An AHRS is an attitude heading reference system.  Thats Avidyne should have incorporated into the 550 instead of the ARS.   

I have a Stratus 2S and ForeFlight, looking for something panel-mounted and ship powered and not stuck to a window (unit or antenna). Eventually I'll have an EFIS or PFD with SV, but was kinda hoping the Aera 660 could do SV on its own.

My current setup is:

• Garmin GNS430W, with GPSS tied to S-Tec 30 autopilot, receiving traffic from the FreeFlight, and exporting its flight plan information to the 496.
  • A Garmin GPSmap 496 in an AirGizmos mount. I'm not a huge fan of the 496 (I'm not paying for weather or XM radio for it), but the 660 has enough cool features in the same footprint that I was kinda considering it, especially if it had SV capability.
  • A FreeFlight RANGR FDL-978-XVR ADS-B In/Out system that talks to ForeFlight over WiFi and puts traffic on the GNS430W.

I'm toying with the idea of either putting in a FS-210 or ditching the 430W for an IFD440 (which, as I understand it, will connect to the FreeFlight WiFi network to which the iPad is also connected, and interoperate that way). I like the idea of a supported, modern GPS system with the low installation overhead of the IFD/GNS swap, as much as I'd prefer a GTN650 (or 750, dreaming...). (The rest of the panel is a KX-155 with a failing display, a GTX-327, and a PMA450. The 496 is under the tach/MP gauges.)

Eventually, I'm swapping the engine monitor (EDM-700) and fuel totalizer (FS-450) for either an EDM-900 or something built into, e.g., the SkyView HDX. (Other route is an Aspen 1000 Pro.)

Just looking at inexpensive updates I can do now with a minimum of panel reworking, until the "next phase" is (a) available and (b) in my budget.

If the Aera 660 is as "cool" as it seems to be, and will talk to the IFD-440, I may still be interested even without AHRS / SV. (I don't have room for a 550, and even if I did, a whole new GPS install defeats the purpose of looking at the "slide in replacement" 440.)

3 hours ago, tony said:

Lance,  I know I'm a poor communicator but you just said the same thing I did.  An AHRS is an attitude heading reference system.  Thats Avidyne should have incorporated into the 550 instead of the ARS.   

The Avidyne IFD550 is the only panel mount that has attitude built in. No panel mount GPS has heading built in, but fortunately the heading is the easiest to input.  Most panels have a heading source. The Avidynes accept all of these.

1170149965_ScreenShot2018-05-24at8_34_07PM.thumb.png.fd7e4f8895734b7371233e0b3b93eba1.png

18 hours ago, tony said:

you're missing the point

No disrespect but you missed the point.  Read through all of chrixxer's posts again. All he is asking is whether his Avidyne IFD440 will crossfill with a Garmin portable - yes it will. That was the only Avidyne question he had.  Then , additionally, he is asking what he needs to do to get synthetic vision on a Garmin Aera 660 and wishes that instead of getting its attitude data from another device (GTX345, GDL-39, or FS-210) that it had synthetic vision built in. He makes a good point.

On your point, there is no panel mount GPS that has magnetic heading built in whether it's built by Garmin, Avidyne, King, etc. That is easily brought in from the heading system (HSI, Aspen, G500, etc). Even if you don't have a heading source to input then the IFD550 uses GPS heading and the only feature that is not enabled without magnetic heading is the TVV (total velocity vector). But all other features are there such as the exocentric (out the window) synthetic vision.

What is revolutionary about the Avidyne IFD550 is it is the first and still only panel mount GPS to have a mems based electronic Attitude Reference System built in. They didn't drop the ball or miss the boat by not including Magnetic Heading - the heading input is what you want so everything on the airplane agrees. Having owned an IFD550 since they were introduced it is a game changer. It outputs attitude reference to the tablet apps that choose to use it so they can use synthetic vision. If Garmin chose to, with a software update they could receive this attitude information on the Aera 660.

The reason I know for sure that you were confused about what Chrixxer was talking about was that Peter agreed with you :)

• Haha 1