Medical Reform

wrench

24 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I know!

With the amount of junk mail they send me, both in my email box and in my US postal box, that alone makes me want to stop supporting to make the annoyance stop.

The cynic in me suspects that not renewing would increase their solicitations.

Bob Belville, AOPA 00393927. (Numbers I remember, names... not so much.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom said:

The 3rd class still exists, doctors are saying no (a phenomenon that logic tells us will get worse with time), pilots are finding the 3rd class easier, AOPA and EAA seem to be content, and you call this success?

I call the thousands of people who are now operating under Basic Med a success.  Some doctors are saying no and some are saying yes.  You have no idea what the success ratio is.  Your logic is flawed.

Success or failure cannot be measured simply by whether you got everything you personally wanted from this regulation.  Many pilots are finding ways to make this work. Those that don't want to participate can stick with the 3rd class medical.  Nobody has lost anything at this point and many have another option that they didn't have before.

I choose to be happy for those who are helped by Basic Med.  I will not sit around whining about how I can't fly without any medical at all yet.

3 hours ago, tony said:

Bob,  when the AOPA started down this road it was sold to the membership as an exemption to 14 cfr 61.23 (remember the drivers license medical) but we ended up with an ELOS.  I understand about compromise but when the AOPA declared victory and just let the issue drop without continuing to pursue the exemption, they lost me as a member.

Tony, I guess I'm a little more forgiving. I often see projects with very lofty goals that ultimately fall short of forecast, but still drive real tangible improvement. Sometimes it's better to start to work on something new that's broken rather than spending energy fighting for the last little bit of gain on the original project.

e t

15U, I couldn't agree with you more, even though I'm flying under the 3rd class, the basic me option exists. I have certain issues as lot's of those in our age class where it makes sense to do the basicmed.  The thousand's of guys now flying under the her rules are a success story. My buddy that hasn't flown for a few years because he just got tired of jumping through the stupid hoops is in the air. He's doing it the right way, been with a CFI for a few times in the last week, updated his plane, two new IPAD's, IPC done. He is a 3000+ hours pilot never takes chances exactly what the new rule was to do actually worked. Many including me have issues with some stuff but those guys are back up in the air. Awesome!!!

• Like 3

All, I'm pleased to share this news!  After a ten day journey proving that I am still in compliance with my SI, my personal physician has signed my BasicMed form.  I'm officially legal again!  Matilda and I are back in the rescue business!

.../ jack

• Like 10

All, I'm pleased to share this news!  After a ten day journey proving that I am still in compliance with my SI, my personal physician has signed my BasicMed form.  I'm officially legal again!  Matilda and I are back in the rescue business!
.../ jack

Great news! Now you can fly me over to the avionics shop to get my plane!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Just now, Marauder said:

Great news! Now you can fly me over to the avionics shop to get my plane!

Absolutely!  I thought Slammer was going to dribble you over today?

Absolutely!  I thought Slammer was going to dribble you over today?

Slammer did (and he didn't slam her today). Was there all afternoon getting the paperwork done. All was good until the run-up, found a couple of issues. Would require opening the glareshield, decide to leave Vic there.

I had no problem getting signed off by my doc for BasicMed, but I'm a relatively young, relatively in-shape person.  After reading all these stories on line I was honestly surprised how easily he agreed to it.  Thankfully my anus did not meet fluorescent lighting or latex.  He didn't see the point in a visual inspection since I have had no issues with my anus and the guidelines specifically state no digital examination required.

You guys do know there's an AME item about the anus?  I just think most AME's don't see the point either. 

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item39/

• Like 2

On 5/11/2017 at 2:59 AM, Marauder said:

And don't forget, with every BasicMed exam, comes at no extra charge, a comprehensive anus exam.
I'm really having a hard time understanding how that got on the list.

7 hours ago, revwatch said:

You guys do know there's an AME item about the anus?  I just think most AME's don't see the point either.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item39/et/

From the AME guide, instruction on performing item 39:

Item 39. Anus

1. Digital Rectal Examination: This examination is performed only at the applicant's option unless indicated by specific history or physical findings. When performed, the following should be noted and recorded in Item 59 of FAA Form 8500-8.
  2. If the digital rectal examination is not performed, the response to Item 39 may be based on direct observation or history     .[bold text is my emphasis]

For those of you whose primary care doc has signed off on BasicMed, congratulations.  Mine has refused.  I provided all of the supporting info from AOPA and tried to engage in a dialogue with said doc.  He had a closed mind from the start and never gave it any real consideration.

So, before I schedule a Class 3 exam with my AME I thought I would see if anyone on this forum was aware of any Docs in NE New York who are performing BasicMed exams.

Thanks for any help.you can provide.

• Like 1

For those that are having trouble getting them signed try going to a walk in clinic.  Look for one that has young foreign doc's. They will not have the same legal fears as an older established doc who has his own practice. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 4:01 AM, Tom said:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item39/et/

From the AME guide, instruction on performing item 39:

Item 39. Anus

1. Digital Rectal Examination: This examination is performed only at the applicant's option unless indicated by specific history or physical findings. When performed, the following should be noted and recorded in Item 59 of FAA Form 8500-8.
  2. If the digital rectal examination is not performed, the response to Item 39 may be based on direct observation or history     .[bold text is my emphasis]

southpark called it years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZ9XLNKBH8

• Like 3

On 5/12/2017 at 9:19 AM, Skeyedancer said:

Tony, I guess I'm a little more forgiving. I often see projects with very lofty goals that ultimately fall short of forecast, but still drive real tangible improvement. Sometimes it's better to start to work on something new that's broken rather than spending energy fighting for the last little bit of gain on the original project.

e t

I'm not saying that basic med is an improvement for some, I'm happy for them.  I'm annoyed that the AOPA declared victory and didn't keep pursuing the excemption for GA.  I want them to continue to advocate for me, not quit and declare success when they didn't achieve the original goal.  

• Like 2

Now that the regulation is in place, how does it actually work? For those whose current third class medical expires (for example) in July, do they have to go to their doc in July which starts the four year window, or do they see their doc four years from July?

14 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Now that the regulation is in place, how does it actually work? For those whose current third class medical expires (for example) in July, do they have to go to their doc in July which starts the four year window, or do they see their doc four years from July?

Not sure I understand - When your medical expires no longer have a medical to exercise the privileges of your pilot cert and ratings that require a medical e.g., being PIC, till you get a new one. But you don't have to wait till your current one expires before you get a new BasicMed or new Medical. BasicMed is just alternative medical cert that you need to act as PIC in lieu of a regular medical.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_68-1.pdf   

1 minute ago, kortopates said:

Not sure I understand - When your medical expires no longer have a medical to exercise the privileges of your pilot cert and ratings that require a medical e.g., being PIC, till you get a new one. But you don't have to wait till your current one expires before you get a new BasicMed or new Medical. BasicMed is just alternative medical cert that you need to act as PIC in lieu of a regular medical.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_68-1.pdf   

I think you answered it. My medical expires in February, so to me that means I have to go to my primary care before then and have him signoff on the new form, at which time I'll be good until (gulp) 2022.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 6:01 AM, Tom said:

Item 39. Anus

:lol: Exactly how many people here have been voluntarily opting in for the digital rectal exam :blink: versus mere "direct observation" of one's anus?  An anonymous poll might provide new insight into the demographics of the Mooney community. 

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, Bob_Belville said:

The cynic in me suspects that not renewing would increase their solicitations.

Bob Belville, AOPA 00393927. (Numbers I remember, names... not so much.)

Wish they would redirect some of the money they use for solicitation to a better use!

Brian

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 8:03 AM, Aviator said:

For those of you whose primary care doc has signed off on BasicMed, congratulations.  Mine has refused.  I provided all of the supporting info from AOPA and tried to engage in a dialogue with said doc.  He had a closed mind from the start and never gave it any real consideration.

So, before I schedule a Class 3 exam with my AME I thought I would see if anyone on this forum was aware of any Docs in NE New York who are performing BasicMed exams.

Thanks for any help.you can provide.

I called AOPA Medical group looking for the same guidance. They told me that this is the #1 question ... many GPs are refusing to sign Part 3 regardless of input they may receive from the FAA or AOPA.  Their suggestion was to ask my current AME ... and if that's a no-go, start polling AMEs in my area.

8 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

The four year clock starts on the day of your physical.  Here's what I would do.

1) As soon as practicable find a physician willing to participate, and schedule the exam.

2) upon completion of the exam, take the course and test, and submit the physician and exam info.

3) contine to fly under the class3 until 7/31.  On 8/1, you'll automatically revert to flying under BasicMed.

4) retake the course two years from the date of you passed and submitted this time (June xx, 2019)

5) get a new physical four years from the date you received the sign off on your physical (June xx, 2021)

I just got back from my six month checkup visit with my primary care physician and he no problem signing off on the form that I presented to him. Since he checked everything that was on the list anyway, (except for #9, he made a note to refer to my last colonoscopy, which took place two weeks ago), he gladly signed it.

I'm all set until 2022.

I just completed my basic med physical.  Yes She checked my for a hernia, and looked at my anus.  Her comment, looks like an a**hole.  We reviewed everything.  She did comment on Psychiatric. "Flys a plane"   She also commented on is this all, compared to all the BS every year due to the need of special issuance medicals done yearly.

Now to complete the on line course.  This is so much better for a vintage pilot.

Ron

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just wrapped up my 3rd class and am good for another 2 years...$99...bargain.

My AME is salty old Mooney Mite owner who practices out in the outback of Southeast Texas. While he was filling in forms we discussed BasicMed. He said he wouldn't do it and cited liability. My guess is that it is going to take some education and assurances to get physicians to go along with it. I had just assumed an AME would sign them off automatically, but it is a different circumstance from the somewhat constrained, checkbox process of the standard class physicals.

In a year or so I'll start testing the water with my personal physician given the fact that my 'original' AME up and died on me four years ago and my 'new' one is also getting up there. As long as my AME and I stay healthy, I'll just do the 3rd Class--looks better on a résumé. :P

I wound up doing the third class because I could.  Thankfully I found an AME who doesn't make  big deal out of my gout (which is well-controlled and not altogether debilitating).  I rather like the third because I still have the option to fly internationally.  But I will happily revert to the Basic Med if I have any more trouble.