Medical Reform

wrench

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

’I have three aerospace medicine texts.' - Tom

Want to share?

We have read some pretty technical thesi(s) and books by MooneySpace authors.  

They share, we read.  Everyone gets stronger this way.

Anyone see how long it takes to get a class III med with an SI, through the system lately?

Best regards,

-a-

-I did not mean to imply that I wrote the books!  Sorry for the confusion.  Not even a chapter in a book.  I was referring to the notion that there are books containing subject matter that is customary knowledge to one medical specialty that another medical specialty may not be familiar with.  That when a physician is practicing outside of his specialty, which is legal, he is sticking his head out from a liability standpoint.  Whether or not he knows how much is a different matter. Whether or not a non-physician understands this is even a different matter.

-To be clear, I don't think that any physicians should have a government mandated role in the ~third class medical process.  What has occurred is that previously no physician had any real liability for 3rd Class medicals....now there is clearly liability.  People here may not understand this, but if history is a teacher then the "success" of the PBOR2 will be short-lived.  This is the biggest concern.  Some say "let's see."  Others encourage continuing the fight for more freedom now.   

-Regarding SI timeframes, for routine-type SIs, if the AME and applicant have done the indicated work, it can be a same/next day issue.  For oddball issues, maximum typical couple few weeks.  As with all other bureaucratic issues...the long wait horror stories are usually related to people (i.e. the AME) not understanding the bureaucratic process. Not submitting the right stuff.  Getting kicked back 2 weeks later.  Resubmission stuff deficient, kicked back 2 weeks later, and so on.

• Like 1

I just sent the AOPA packet regarding the exam including all the forms to my primary Dr. He said no-problem. He told me to go ahead and list his info for any pilots, needing this sign-off. He is in South Florida so I'll list in in Florida flyers section. I would say just email the packet to your D, and see what he/she says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, co2bruce said:

I just sent the AOPA packet regarding the exam including all the forms to my primary Dr. He said no-problem. He told me to go ahead and list his info for any pilots, needing this sign-off. He is in South Florida so I'll list in in Florida flyers section. I would say just email the packet to your D, and see what he/she says.

Perhaps you should have your doctor read all of the negative  posts in this thread so he can rethink his willingness to participate. :blink:

On April 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM, southernIL said:

BasicMed is a basic bust for me. I need a renewal third class or go the basicmed route. I contacted seven doctors in my area, two of them fly, two of them do third class physicals, and three are general practitioners. The three GPs new nothing about it and don't want to know anything about it. The other four knew about basicmed but all seven said the same thing - they are not going to add it to their liability insurance because the cost will be more than any income from it. Monday I get a third class medical, fast, easy, no online BS hassle.

Did any one of these uncouth heaves say hello to you? Welcome to the forum. Nice way to jump right in there and let yourself be known. Please introduce yourself on the main board and tell us about your first born and bank accounts :) 

• 2 weeks later...

As a private pilot, it's my opinion that basic med is a sorry excuse for progress.  As a physician, I am already advising colleagues to steer clear of it.   The MDs signing off on it either don't realize the liability they are accepting for no reason or are of the same category of professional who run pill mills to keep opiate addicts happy.  Dick Collins nails it here:

http://airfactsjournal.com/2017/05/basicmed-cruel-hoax/

I have admiration for many things that AOPA advocates, but in this case they have mistaken activity for accomplishment - the modus operandi of the regulatory bureaucrat.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DXB said:

As a private pilot, it's my opinion that basic med is a sorry excuse for progress.  As a physician, I am already advising colleagues to steer clear of it.   The MDs signing off on it either don't realize the liability they are accepting for no reason or are of the same category of professional who run pill mills to keep opiate addicts happy.  Dick Collins nails it here:

I have admiration for many things that AOPA advocates, but in this case they have mistaken activity for accomplishment - the modus operandi of the regulatory bureaucrat.  

you nailed it.  

33 minutes ago, tony said:

you nailed it.  

As a patient, it sounds more like the physician who treated my hand for an injury. After hearing "bad result" said in a nervous way in every other sentence over the course of 2-3 visits, I decided to find a doctor more interested in treating it than worrying about shadows. I didn't have to look very far,

I'm still having difficulty understanding how examine my anus is going to make me medically qualified. For those of you who have been following this saga from concept, this was supposed to be a driver's license medical. In the 4 states I have lived in, I never, ever needed a physical to drive a car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

22 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm still having difficulty understanding how examine my anus is going to make me medically qualified. For those of you who have been following this saga from concept, this was supposed to be a driver's license medical. In the 4 states I have lived in, I never, ever needed a physical to drive a car.

Sorry Chris, the only thing I got out of that statement is your a Huge ass ;)

I knew we would see issues with the new med and I have been trying to decide what what to go. after talking to Jack last night and hearing his issues I think i'm just going with a regular class 3.

Brian

• Like 1

Sorry Chris, the only thing I got out of that statement is your a Huge ass
I knew we would see issues with the new med and I have been trying to decide what what to go. after talking to Jack last night and hearing his issues I think i'm just going with a regular class 3.

Brian

Yes, I'm a huge ass, I mean I have a huge ass. I haven't talked to Jack since Friday about his current BasicMed situation. Before Friday he said it was a slam dunk but said on Friday the doctor didn't sign stating she needed to understand more about BasicMed before signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Dr Alan Warrington, Pike Creek, Wilmington De

• Like 1

Last I checked over 4000 pilots had switched to Basic Med in the first week alone.  Given that there's only about 400,000 pilots in the US, that's a huge number.

That's 1% of the active pilot population. My guess there may be some who have come out of medical retirement to join these ranks of people.

• Like 1

Assuming a linear medical cycle, that would be 12% of the eligible monthly population. That leaves 88% staying with 1st, 2nd or 3rd class. Be interesting to know how many were dormant pilots.

1 hour ago, Danb said:

Dr Alan Warrington, Pike Creek, Wilmington De

No doubt many will sign. But I'd be curious to know why a primary MD was willing to sign the basic med document in any situation where someone might not pass a 3rd class medical.  The requirements are essentially the same, and if you were declined a 3rd class medical, you are still SOL - getting a Basic Med signature doesn't help you one bit.  

12 hours ago, DXB said:

I have no problem with doctor shopping for "basic med".  And if you have ever had an issue on a medical, you will understand why.  Once the FAA has an issue with your medical, you will spend a great deal of time and money dealing with the issue.   Blood pressure is a great example.  Imagine your meeting with the divorce lawyer ran late, then you got stuck in traffic, so you are now late for your FAA medical appointment.  --Any bets on what your blood pressure will be? Any bets on how many doctor visits and letters to the FAA will be required?

33 minutes ago, chrisk said:

I have no problem with doctor shopping for "basic med".  And if you have ever had an issue on a medical, you will understand why.  Once the FAA has an issue with your medical, you will spend a great deal of time and money dealing with the issue.   Blood pressure is a great example.  Imagine your meeting with the divorce lawyer ran late, then you got stuck in traffic, so you are now late for your FAA medical appointment.  --Any bets on what your blood pressure will be? Any bets on how many doctor visits and letters to the FAA will be required?

No disagreement here - your example highlights the absurdity of the previous system with AMEs mandated to enforce a BP standard based on a single office measurement and  creating a mountain of effort for you to circumvent the issue.  I  certainly encourage folks to take whatever paths of least resistance emerge for them with Basic Med. It's just unfortunate that the new system does not contain a more rational medical standard but simply offers "unofficial" new ways to  circumvent the ridiculous old standards to get ones paperwork in order.

52 minutes ago, chrisk said:

The existence of a medical condition that would prohibit being issued a 3rd class medical is de facto evidence of the presence of a medical condition that the government believes "could interfere with the ability to operate an aircraft."

Should anyone fly under BasicMed and God forbid have an accident, and anybody sues claiming medical impairment, any AME or aeromed doc (subpoenaed or hired gun) can testify that the preceding sentence is correct and the BasicMed doc will be toast.

BasicMed isn't like a scuba or school physical.  Try walking into any doctor's office and telling them that you have diabetes and high blood pressure and are looking to get a pre-operative clearance for bilateral hip replacement--and the clearance is to state that you have no medical conditions that, as currently treated, poses a risk to a successful surgery.  See what kind of response that engenders.  It's morally questionable to take advantage of a physician's ignorance on this new subject (BasicMed) that is fraught with genuine risk.

To answer the blood pressure question:  
-If your top blood pressure number is still over 155 after three checks during the same first visit to the AME, then you have other problems besides just a bad morning
-No visits required to your primary doc
-No letters required from your primary doc
-No letters to required to go to FAA
-Assuming you didn't receive a 3rd class on the first visit, you should walk out the door of the AME's office with a 3rd class at a visit seven days later

On a related note, this aviation insurance agent states that "some companies" will not accept BasicMed for "older pilots."

The bottom line is that the 3rd class needs to go. 

• Like 1