How do you secure your aircraft from tampering?

Tommy

This happens in Australia recently

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-pilot-josh-hoch-granted-bail-once-he-supplies-surety-20170125-gtypsd.html

Not sure about US, but here in The Down Under, the airport security is almost non-existent especially in GA airport. I have never been asked to present my ASIC card and anyone can get gate codes by ringing up someone pretending to be a pilot.

Curious what do you guys do to prevent tampering of your aircraft? Is there a top cowl mod to make the oil access panel lockable (not that it can stop the top cowl being taken down but at the very least it pdoes make things a bit harder.)?

Tom

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

This happens in Australia recently

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-pilot-josh-hoch-granted-bail-once-he-supplies-surety-20170125-gtypsd.html

Not sure about US, but here in The Down Under, the airport security is almost non-existent especially in GA airport. I have never been asked to present my ASIC card and anyone can get gate codes by ringing up someone pretending to be a pilot.

Curious what do you guys do to prevent tampering of your aircraft? Is there a top cowl mod to make the oil access panel lockable (not that it can stop the top cowl being taken down but at the very least it pdoes make things a bit harder.)?

Tom

Wow! Attempted murder of innocent pax premeditated by a...pilot entrusted with their safety! And he was allowed to operate for a few years apparently!

I don't understand why people do what they do and their thought process. I just don't. My brain is just too small to understand.

58 minutes ago, PTK said:

Wow! Attempted murder of innocent pax premeditated by a...pilot entrusted with their safety! And he was allowed to operate for a few years apparently!

I don't understand why people do what they do and their thought process. I just don't. My brain is just too small to understand.

People do bad things because they do not think about the consequences. I agree in part with Trump on torture. If you commit rape then you loose it for life. And it should be shown on the internet when yours is hacked to discourage others, just like public guillotine. That will keep crime down.

José

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Piloto said:

People do bad things because they do not think about the consequences. I agree in part with Trump on torture. If you commit rape then you loose it for life. And it should be shown on the internet when yours is hacked to discourage others, just like public guillotine. That will keep crime down.

José

Perhaps we should cut off hands for stealing?

• Like 1

Just now, Piloto said:

That was kinda my point. I don't think Sharia law would be very popular here.

Nevermind that pesky 8th amendment:

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

• Like 1

I do two things. I have as mentioned above, motion activated web cams. Here two electricians showed up at my locked hangar and did this:

5e37b9aef2739beecd18814ec4627f3f.jpg

7a1691fae3d66665e52487a7fb075a6f.jpg

The other I do is use a panel guard to deter avionics theft. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but anything to slow them down or help them to make a decision to move onto the next plane is the objective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I do two things. I have as mentioned above, motion activated web cams. Here two electricians showed up at my locked hangar and did this:

The other I do is use a panel guard to deter avionics theft. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but anything to slow them down or help them to make a decision to move onto the next plane is the objective.

Did they pull your plane forward?  It looks like it's framed differently in the second pic.

1 hour ago, Piloto said:

José

Only $50,000.00 bond???

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

How does your webcam connect to the web?  I seem to recall that you have a cellular switch for your preheater so I'm guessing you don't have wifi in your hangar.

Or they took his prized ladder. 

M-What camera system? 

-Matt

Samsung. They each have an SD in them and also broadcast on WiFi or hardwire. I also have an Arlo stashed in the hangar. That one is all WiFi with Netgear hosting the videos. I get spotty WiFi today but a few of us are putting in a new Verizon service.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How does your webcam connect to the web?  I seem to recall that you have a cellular switch for your preheater so I'm guessing you don't have wifi in your hangar.

These pictures were captured on the SD and also in this case, I got the motion detector triggered.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Throw an oil door lock on there if you like.

They have prop lock chains, throttle lock, and flight control locks.

Sportys pilot shop tends to have nicer pilot discriptions than aircraft spruce. However both provide reasonable options. 

I find a canopy cover prevents people from even looking in the first place at what's inside. 

Does the tail on backwards count? "Theft deterrent" like a backwards bike seat does to a bike? 

-Matt

Back in '89 the Mooney was parked outside at KDVT. I showed up to fly one day and the ice window was open and my headphones were gone.

i rarely even lock the plane, if someone wants to steal it then the insurance company will buy me a new one. 

FWIW I have been able to open the door and start every airplane I've tried with the keys on my Mooney key chain. So the locks don't do much.

I think pilots flying in the US are not too worried about aircraft theft.

When I fly south of the border and park on unsecured fields, including dirt ones, I take a light prop lock and also use a throttle lock. I also use Medeco locks on both doors. Nobody really wants a Mooney anyway, they're after the C206 or C210's. But having the Mooney visibly protected pretty much ensures someone looking to steel an aircraft is going to go after one of the unsecured planes next to me. 

Generally people with sought after planes like the C206 go at least a step further with protection that is hidden.

Back in '89 the Mooney was parked outside at KDVT. I showed up to fly one day and the ice window was open and my headphones were gone.

i rarely even lock the plane, if someone wants to steal it then the insurance company will buy me a new one. 

FWIW I have been able to open the door and start every airplane I've tried with the keys on my Mooney key chain. So the locks don't do much.

• Like 1