Grass field capability.

JKSmith

I have a group of friends heading to trigger gap in April. It's a grass strip with camping and what not. Anyways. I wanted to see if any of y'all have been there or have even operated there mooney on grass. I never have but I assume grass is no harder than pavement. It's the holes that are the problem. Pointers and tips appreciated. Thank you! 

JK,

The search function is your friend.  Many Mooney's around here live on grass strips.

Bryan is the king of un-tamed grass with cows in the field.

What is the name of the temporary airport on the salt flats, or the one on the ice lake, or the one....

Quality of the surface is as variable as the pilot doing the landing.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 2

I haven't heard a lot about trigger gap. I'm trying to cover two bases at once. Info if any on the location and general ideas. I've seen mixed emotions about it.  

May get some people interested in going to the location as well. 

Where is "trigger gap"? 

I occasionally visit grass strips in my C, and taxied forever through the grass at Sun n Fun. My favorite is 3500' at the beach, with trees and power lines at one end (usually the approach end . . . ), they generally keep about half of it mowed nicely.

Visit YouTube and look up piperpainter, he takes his C into the back country with his tailwheel friends, places I'd be nervous going with tundra tires. Your plane is very capable, the limiting factor seems to be in the left front seat.

Go on and have some fun!

• Like 4

JK

It should not be a big deal as long as you use good soft-field technic. For 4 years I flew into two grass strips in a regular basis. The field were well maintained and did not have have any major potholes. Some of my best and "softest" landings were actually performed on those fields. Some issues to keep in mind. Take off distance is longer, so factor that into your calculations. Also, your braking capacity may also not be so effective, specially if the field is moist. But otherwise, just use proper technic and enjoy.

Oscar 

• Like 3

As you said it's the gopher holes that will get you. If the nose hits a hole about 8" deep you'll strike the prop. I've landed on grass and even a beach but it's got to be pretty smooth  Now in the Aeronca I've landed on very rough stuff  That's the domain of taildraggers

-Robert

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JKSmith said:

Here's the info on trigger gap. 

http://theraf.org/content/trigger-gap-safety-briefing 

thanks for the encouragement! I've seen videos of mooneys going out of grass I've just never done it in mine. I'll get some practice in and hopefully make the trip! 

Looks really nice!!!

Looked at Trigger gap form google maps so not sure when the photo was taken but does not look much like a strip is maintained.  However, the flyer could be more recent than google maps.

As the safety briefing implies do a low approach and verify before you commit to land and you always have 4M1 3 miles north.

5 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

On the playa at Burning Man. The runway was pretty rutted out but good soft field technique and the 252 handled it just fine. I made numerous trips in and out and gave rides all week long.

IMG_1027.jpg

14184524_10157546774685637_5822608636497139759_n.jpg

14188311_10153703483655755_6166594218303413846_o.jpg

Did immigration make you get down and dirty making a "dust angel"?Wonder what the sight of one Marauders cuties running around with just body paint would do to ones eye sight?Did you have a lot of cleanup of playa dust?

• Like 1

My hanger neighbor used to go every year...he'd take and old pop up tent trailer and bikes for use only at burning man.All the steel parts showed rust and corrosion from the salt dust.He stopped going once the Hollywood crowd discovered it and it got so expensive.The organizers have purchased a big ranch near Gerlach...I think the idea is to move the event there to avoid the feds

7 hours ago, bonal said:

Speaking of Piperpainter he used to post now and then anyone know if he is still flying his red Mooney havnt seen anything from him for a long time

He recently, in the last month, posted a new video on youtube, so he must still be flying.  I've subscribed to his channel on youtube.

• Like 1

We have a program here in Minnesota called Fly Minnesota.  If you visit all but three of the airports in the state you get a leather jacket.  It was fun and alot of good landing practice.  My recollection is that 22 of the airports are grass strips.  Another pilot and I rented a Skyhawk and did a bunch of them in one day.  It was so easy I decided to do the rest in my 231.  The landings were pretty easy.  The takeoffs felt a little awkward with the plane quite nose high in ground effect, but I got pretty good at it.  As someone said, use good soft field technique and you shouldn't have a problem.  

The interesting thing I learned was that you don't need as much field for either landing or takeoff.  The friction is high on landing and the plane slows faster than on the tarmac, so the rollout does not take up much space.  The takeoff is even more interesting. If you do the takeoff well, holding the nose high and getting the plane off the ground but in ground effect as soon as possible, you don't take up much room with the wheels on the ground.  After that, it does not really matter what the ground is like as long as it is not brush or trees.  All you need from the ground at that point is ground effect, so it is possible to get in the air on a very short strip and then gain speed over unmowed grass or similar until you reach climb speed.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Belg said:

That's one of my goals when I get my license.

Wife's uncle flies in regularly, used to do so in a C that eventually went swimming. Apparently they float rather nicely. 

problem is getting access, only a couple rental properties on the island are airport authority members, and unless you're a guest of a member you can't use the runway.

Also I wouldn't put our rocket down there, there's no way.

45 minutes ago, peevee said:

problem is getting access, only a couple rental properties on the island are airport authority members, and unless you're a guest of a member you can't use the runway.

Also I wouldn't put our rocket down there, there's no way.

We flew our F model to Captiva a few years ago. I posted a write up in one of the 1st post in the vacation section a few years ago.  Just be on speed and be ready for the crosswind. I have the contact info for a rental located on the corner of the airstrip and beach if anyone is interested. It's a very layed back island and much cheaper than other parts of fl. 

www.saltyapproach.com

Edited by N601RX