New Member, Very Close to Buying C Model

I think I recognize the boat, CNOE...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/category/type/Grand+Banks/36+Classic

The Grand Banks Trawler is the Anti-Mooney of travel machines...  not fast, not efficient, plenty of legroom and two bathrooms...

It does come with dual controls... :)

I was the pilot, the other guy in my family was the yachtsman...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Am I reading this wrong or was this flying in actual instrument meteorological conditions without a clearance and without an IFR rating ? 

Not exactly.  I was looking out the sides and seeing ships in the water.  I also had the horizon because there was enough definition of the clouds to see the horizon from them.  Just to be safe, I was watching the artificial horizon.  The conditions were four mile visibility haze.

On July 11, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Hank said:

Way to go, Diag! You already found the ceiling vents and the eyeball vents in the footwells, right?

9500 is a great summer altitude. I've taken off with temps in the high 90s (Higher on the asphalt), and enjoyed the goose bumps from  58° air there!  :D

Thanks Hank!  I will look for those eyeballs down low.

15 hours ago, cnoe said:

That's awesome Larry! I'm sure you and Sandy will be making plenty of trips to the beach house in the future. If you'd have held a southerly heading for 145 nm after takeoff you'd have flown right over me (not my boat).emoji16.png
fa700bb80c058cb961a177bdc6d0c9a1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well Chuck, I guess I will have to write a nasty gram to ATC, they didn't give me that 145 NM option.:)

• Like 1

I think I recognize the boat, CNOE...
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/category/type/Grand+Banks/36+Classic
The Grand Banks Trawler is the Anti-Mooney of travel machines...  not fast, not efficient, plenty of legroom and two bathrooms...
It does come with dual controls... 
I was the pilot, the other guy in my family was the yachtsman...
Best regards,
-a-

Good eye! This ones a 42' though. Slow for sure but a helluva lot more efficient than many of the fuel-to-noise converters I've utilized in the past.

• Like 1

Upon further review...

I was very familiar with the 36'. So I had looked it up first...

Confused by the door locations on both sides of the cabin... I Looked further...

I found a picture of the 42’.  It is full scale compared to the 36’s 9/10ths scale...

What this has to do with Mooneys...

1) If there are only two people in your flying family, an M20E may make a lot of sense... 2 people, a GB 36 is really nice...

2) If you are carrying four full sized people around with you, a Long Body May not be long enough...  4 people, a GB 42 is really nice and all the seats and doors and handles and things are full sized...   :)

3) the GB world has their version of CBs as well...  single Lehmann(Ford?) Diesel...

4) the GB world also has their version of overpowered machines... Twin Cat diesels can get the displacement hull up on plane for a few pennies more...

5) These things are like Mooneys.  Built incredibly well, in one factory, owned all over the world... the one for sale pictured below is in Germany, but looks to have a Swedish flag flying...

The white hair, blue jeans, and white shirt... I thought THE dad had bought another boat... so I sent him this photo to ask...?

For the price of a Mooney, this baby has two sleeping rooms and two bathrooms...

Cruise speed... Less than ten KIAS...

Sorry to get off Mooney track.  I try to exercise my memory Banks as much as possible...

Best regards,

-a-

IMG_0049.JPG

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
Just my 2 cents, but I'd probably still take it to maxwell for a prebuy.  Our planes have been around for a while, and there's lots of stuff that could have happened over the last 40-50+ years.  If you buy it, we'll have to show you the secret handshake known only by us C model pilots.
Yo, why haven't I been given the handshake??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Okay I bumped the thread a few days ago when I found it, but ended up not having a chance to write my follow up as I expected.  Here goes:

The plane came through annual with flying colors.  The seat rails are slightly worn, but not bad enough to require immediate attention.  Everything else was great.  I would have to check my logs for an exact number, but I have flown her about 140 hours since purchase.  When I started taking off the hatch covers for annual, I saw why the old salt Mooney guy declared her as the most corrosion free plane ha had seen in 30 years.  There is a lot of advantage to keeping a plane always in a hangar and that hangar being in a dry climate like Kerrville, Texas.  I still, however, need to find someone to do the interior and make her as presentable inside as she is on the outside.

The VOR’s are both off by 30+ degrees.  Problem is not the splitter.  We found a dirty connection in the bulkhead below the tail, but no way to test it yet.  Hopefully that will solve it or I might have to replace the antenna and/or coax.  They will sign off and turn the plane loose Monday, so I am anxious to go check the VOR’s.  This is frustrating because I use the 430W, but I think the VOR’s need to be healthy for the secondary means of navigation for legal IFR flight.

Once she was on Jacks, I was able to see how the landing gear lever fits into the retainer lock.  I was able to handle the gear fine without twisting the lever.  I only needed to push it forward with the button pressed to release it.  This still concerns me, because I have pushed it forward in flight with no good results.  It has taken a twist of the handle to get it loose.  We will see.

After a year with the plane I have gained confidence in her and with her.  She flies wonderfully, seems to be rigged well and have gotten used to the smoky ASI.  A member here has offered the ASI that he will be removing when he puts in a glass panel, so I will have it painted for my speeds and get that in before my IFR certification due in July.

We have not traveled as much as we have wanted, although we have been to Galveston and a few shorter trips.  We have had many obligations that have kept us from traveling as much as we would like, so hopefully that will be different this year.  We want to give her plenty of medium and long distance exercise.

My stepson in law bought a Baron in North Carolina, so I expect to take him there to ferry it home.  That will be something like 700NM so I am looking forward to that.  I hope to make a few pleasure trips shortly thereafter.

SO...... a year later and I am still smitten with my Mooney.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Okay I bumped the thread a few days ago when I found it, but ended up not having a chance to write my follow up as I expected.  Here goes:
The plane came through annual with flying colors.  The seat rails are slightly worn, but not bad enough to require immediate attention.  Everything else was great.  I would have to check my logs for an exact number, but I have flown her about 140 hours since purchase.  When I started taking off the hatch covers for annual, I saw why the old salt Mooney guy declared her as the most corrosion free plane ha had seen in 30 years.  There is a lot of advantage to keeping a plane always in a hangar and that hangar being in a dry climate like Kerrville, Texas.  I still, however, need to find someone to do the interior and make her as presentable inside as she is on the outside.
The VOR’s are both off by 30+ degrees.  Problem is not the splitter.  We found a dirty connection in the bulkhead below the tail, but no way to test it yet.  Hopefully that will solve it or I might have to replace the antenna and/or coax.  They will sign off and turn the plane loose Monday, so I am anxious to go check the VOR’s.  This is frustrating because I use the 430W, but I think the VOR’s need to be healthy for the secondary means of navigation for legal IFR flight.
Once she was on Jacks, I was able to see how the landing gear lever fits into the retainer lock.  I was able to handle the gear fine without twisting the lever.  I only needed to push it forward with the button pressed to release it.  This still concerns me, because I have pushed it forward in flight with no good results.  It has taken a twist of the handle to get it loose.  We will see.
After a year with the plane I have gained confidence in her and with her.  She flies wonderfully, seems to be rigged well and have gotten used to the smoky ASI.  A member here has offered the ASI that he will be removing when he puts in a glass panel, so I will have it painted for my speeds and get that in before my IFR certification due in July.
We have not traveled as much as we have wanted, although we have been to Galveston and a few shorter trips.  We have had many obligations that have kept us from traveling as much as we would like, so hopefully that will be different this year.  We want to give her plenty of medium and long distance exercise.
My stepson in law bought a Baron in North Carolina, so I expect to take him there to ferry it home.  That will be something like 700NM so I am looking forward to that.  I hope to make a few pleasure trips shortly thereafter.
SO...... a year later and I am still smitten with my Mooney.

Great follow-up Larry. It’s awesome to hear you’ve logged 140 hours with minimal squawks! Stretching your legs is what Mooneys are all about. Your upcoming trip to NC is a one stopper (if your bladder holds out).

I also agree with keeping the VORs working well. I experienced my first complete failure of the GNSS system this month when 3 independent GPS receivers simultaneously lost coverage on a local flight. My certified Garmin, Stratus 2S, and iPhone’s satellites all showed red for a period of time. There was some ongoing interference testing at Fort Polk but it wasn’t Notam’d for that particular day. It could have been a solar flare or something else too I guess. ‘Twas no big deal in my local area but would be a bigger annoyance in some areas. Pilotage rules!

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

I did not have much trouble raising the gear in mine, but lowering it and putting the handle back up into the block took some effort and a little twist to get it to lock. Based on a suggestion by someone else on the board here (I don't remember who) when I had mine on jacks for annual I lubed the shaft where the handle slides up and down. After doing that it is very easy to slide in. I think it was the little bit of added friction when pushing forward that made it difficult, the lube solved that.

21 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I did not have much trouble raising the gear in mine, but lowering it and putting the handle back up into the block took some effort and a little twist to get it to lock. Based on a suggestion by someone else on the board here (I don't remember who) when I had mine on jacks for annual I lubed the shaft where the handle slides up and down. After doing that it is very easy to slide in. I think it was the little bit of added friction when pushing forward that made it difficult, the lube solved that.

Isn't TriFlow great stuff??? Just don't lose the straw, ones from WD40 are too big to fit . . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Isn't TriFlow great stuff??? Just don't lose the straw, ones from WD40 are too big to fit . . . .

Absolutely! Once I would get it to that last little bit and went to slide it up into the lock block it took quite a bit of effort. Now it is as smooth as can be.

Absolutely! Once I would get it to that last little bit and went to slide it up into the lock block it took quite a bit of effort. Now it is as smooth as can be.
I had the same problem at the other end: I had to slam the bar to the floor, or it wouldn't latch. Shot of triflow solved that problem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk