New Member, Very Close to Buying C Model

8 minutes ago, cnoe said:

In my J all I have to do is flip a switch. And not once have I entangled my headset cable or copilot's butt in said switch.emoji14.png You "purists" crack me up!

Yeah, but you can't lower your gear and unbuckle both front seat belts all simultaneously with one hand. ;)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

When I owned and flew a C, I would set up the gear retraction before pulling onto the runway.  I'm a little larger than FAA standard and so a little extra attention is due when swinging that J-bar. Last thing before pulling onto the runway was always to ensure nothing is on the floor, cables are out of the way, seat belts are adjusted, and both me and the copilot are moved towards the outboard side of our respective seats.  I'll explain to the right-seater that this is only until the gear is up, just a few seconds after lift off. But get everything organized first, then pull on to the runway, full power, break ground and immediately stow the gear. Then settle in for climb, get the flaps, etc.

I always double check the floor and make sure that nothing is in the way of the Johnson Bar travel before taking the runway as well. With my CFI in the transition training his lanyard from his keys was often hanging down there. I double check on descent as well, just in case something has fallen down there or somehow gotten in the way.

6 minutes ago, cnoe said:

In my J all I have to do is flip a switch. And not once have I entangled my headset cable or copilot's butt in said switch.emoji14.png You "purists" crack me up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a price to be paid for purity... Not all are willing to pay it. :P

16 minutes ago, cnoe said:

In my J all I have to do is flip a switch. And not once have I entangled my headset cable or copilot's butt in said switch.emoji14.png 

My C is the same way. Although I did entangle my headset cord after my first simulated emergency gear down, when I forgot to stow the handle by my left knee before resetting the breaker and raising the gear. I've had to do it for real once, but certainly didn't try to raise them until after landing and letting the mechanic do his thing (so this is a risk only when practicing, not during actual necessary use).

Yeah, but you can't lower your gear and unbuckle both front seat belts all simultaneously with one hand. 

LOL! My before-landing checklist says nothing about "unbuckling" the seatbelts. Good one Paul!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cnoe said:

LOL! My before-landing checklist says nothing about "unbuckling" the seatbelts. Good one Paul!

Yeah it's not a very useful trick. Just when things are starting to happen quickly on Final, you've unbuckled your seat belt. It's also a bit awkward to have your copilot reaching across and trying to buckle your belt for you, all just seconds from touchdown.

• Like 1

Staying ahead of the airplane really has some detail to go with it...

Unbuckling the belt on the lady next to you during the landing procedure doesn't build a lot of confidence. :)

When she gets annoyed enough,  she will approve the next plane purchase!

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/20/2017 at 3:09 PM, MBDiagMan said:

I will do that, plus get in lots of study for the 430.  I plan on weaning myself from Foreflight dependence and use it for flight planning rather than GPS navigation.  I will leave that to the 430.

Definitely learn to program and change flight plans in the 430. If you get an instrument rating, the 430 keeps you legal on GPS flight plans and approaches whereas the foreflight does not. That being said, I probably refer to my stratus/foreflight combo 10:1 vs the 430w. Bigger screen, easier interface, etc. Also the 430 doesn't know what a victor airway is.  Lol

most importantly though. Learn to look out the window and not have your face staring at a screen all the time. 

Congrats on everything so far!

11 hours ago, cnoe said:

After 6-7 years of ownership, I have spent a total of $170 on my gear retraction system and that was to get a prettier rechromed handle. :P

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rbridges said:

After 6-7 years of ownership, I have spent a total of $170 on my gear retraction system and that was to get a prettier rechromed handle. :P

In 19 years of ownership, I've spent about $30 on my electric gear retraction system and that was for the required grease!  I do the AD myself under supervision at zero cost.

(Having said that, I realize that should the motor/gears ever need an overhaul, I'll be spending more than $170!  :huh:)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

When I owned and flew a C, I would set up the gear retraction before pulling onto the runway.  I'm a little larger than FAA standard and so a little extra attention is due when swinging that J-bar. Last thing before pulling onto the runway was always to ensure nothing is on the floor, cables are out of the way, seat belts are adjusted, and both me and the copilot are moved towards the outboard side of our respective seats.  I'll explain to the right-seater that this is only until the gear is up, just a few seconds after lift off. But get everything organized first, then pull on to the runway, full power, break ground and immediately stow the gear. Then settle in for climb, get the flaps, etc.

Years back .. for a BFR I took a "larger than FAA stnd" CFI for a flight.  This guy is about 6' - 4 and pushing 250 lbs.  Like sitting next to a giant when I'm use to flying 99.9% solo.  First thing - I retract the gear and yank his headset clean off his head - one motion!  Man was he surprised!? (me too)

• Like 3

I don't see what the problem would be with 25"/2500RPM. It's an approved power setting for the O-360 Lyc. I run my E at 27"/2550rpm when I'm trying to get somewhere, that puts me in the middle of the yellow at 3000' DA. To gain some speed, overshoot your cruising altitude by 100-200' and then descend back down onto it. Brings the airplane up onto 'step'. In smooth air, can be good for 5-10mph.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, macosxuser said:

I don't see what the problem would be with 25"/2500RPM. It's an approved power setting for the O-360 Lyc. I run my E at 27"/2550rpm when I'm trying to get somewhere, that puts me in the middle of the yellow at 3000' DA. To gain some speed, overshoot your cruising altitude by 100-200' and then descend back down onto it. Brings the airplane up onto 'step'. In smooth air, can be good for 5-10mph.

Wow, 25 squared and the "step". Some ancient and well debunked wisdom there. :ph34r:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, macosxuser said:

I don't see what the problem would be with 25"/2500RPM.

I was just goofing off the other day after doing the 10.2 Avidyne upgrade and decided to fly "25 Squared".  I haven't done that since I was a naive private pilot a couple decades ago :rolleyes:

I was burning 7 GPH. At 20" (2500 RPM) I can get fuel flow below 6 GPH.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 2:29 PM, rbridges said:

If you buy it, we'll have to show you the secret handshake known only by us C model pilots.

The Super 21 handshake is no secret, here's a demo...

superbat_display_image.jpg.f3f83f281fa0431fab1459bf521e50b9.jpg 

On April 26, 2017 at 5:48 AM, carusoam said:

I believe it is a Top Gun sort of thing... I could tell you but... :)

Get out to a Mooney fly in see if they do there.

Best regards,

-a-

Can't wait for a Mooney fly in.  Let me know when and where.  We will do our best.  Sandy can't wait for some Mooney flying once we are back in the states.