Lopresti Cowl

The elder Lopresti was the king of Mooney aerodynamics.  The 201 was the aerodynamic clean-up of the F.  Lopresti worked on the second version after he left Mooney.

The challenge of wide spread acceptance of the newer cowling for the existing fleet is the steep cost of acquisition along with the large installation cost.

having knowledge of the full costs and STC required to complete the project is important.

What are the all in costs lately?

Improvements in the economy are starting to show brighter every month... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Hmmmmm...

If you are in the midst of refreshing one's 201....

http://www.loprestiaviation.com/super-201-cowl.html

The price of such a project used to be in the ballpark of a small automobile.  I was unable to find prices on the site...

Much easier to afford after the house is paid and the kids are all grown up.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

Mike -- check with Alan Fox (his username) & Jerry Pressley (his user name starts with "AC" something). Both of them salvage planes.

Also check with John Breda. He took a 67 F model and turned it into a J. He put a J cowl on his. He may knowledge where to get the parts you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would a PowerFlow Exhaust fit? Not cheap ... but you are obviously wanting to go FASTER!

The PowerFlow exhaust system fits within the LoPrest cowl on my 201. A bit tight, but it does fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

That price is there so a pilot can say...  'look honey, if I spend this... the plane investment is worth more exactly $26,815 more!  We can go faster and get our money back when we sell her...' :)

also notice the other prices on the same list are rounded to the nearest amu.  The precise number to the nearest dollar is saying something that technically can't be said.

If prices were gathered and statistically broken down into categories it would be appropriate.  The statistics based on actual sales of Mooney's with Lopresti cowls would require more than the one or two planes that come up for sale each year.  Good quality data for this just doesn't exist.

Good estimates come from the people with the most experience in the current market that sell a lot of Mooneys... AAA

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I like your thought process Mike.  Especially when it comes to airplanes there is a lot of merit to the, "devil you know vs. the one you don't."  

For me, that kind of expense I could not justify, but that's me.  It's the same as trying to justify $50,000 worth of avionics in a $40,000 plane.  I just won't do it, but I am not planning on keeping this plane forever.  I will probably install an electronic ADI, but outside of that, everything works and I like having the individual instruments.  Now, if the King HSI craps out....

Value is what you see in it.  VREF is good for a smile, but ultimately the plane is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  Personally, I think the "F" is the best variant.  Plenty of space in the cabin, decent speed and mods galore that can be done.

Have fun wth the upgrade and please post before and after pics as well as performance numbers!!

4 hours ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Here is something of interest, AOPA Vref shows the LoPresti cowl with an increase in value of $26,815 to the 75 M20F.

My estimated total cost for having it done is coming in well under that number (parts, labor, materials).

I know a couple of you guys are going to state how Vref is high and why upgrade an F when you can go buy an F16... blah blah blah...

There is no "economic justification" for owning an aircraft, the justification for me is the enjoyment and freedom it brings.

Vref.jpg

Snicker...

i think the 5 was added by accident

Sorry folks, I did not intend to start a debate on M20F valuations.

I was simply surprised to see  AOPA put a such a high value on the mod. (It is over and above the stock 201 cowl, so that maybe part of their thought process, pure speculation of course) 

I will likely keep my little M20F until my flying days are over, so any perceived value increase whether large or small is of no real concern.

My 1975 F is insured for $90k and the evaluation is for $93k and $98k. The first $85k takes it.

1418e87c61f726094dd68ce069c2c879.jpg

Unfortunately plane values and what people are willing to pay are two different things.

12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

My 1975 F is insured for $90k and the evaluation is for $93k and $98k. The first $85k takes it.

1418e87c61f726094dd68ce069c2c879.jpg

Unfortunately plane values and what people are willing to pay are two different things.

If I didn't already have my J I'd buy your F for $85k but only if you replace those god awful switch covers.  :P

Marauder is correct (but it is a 68 not a 67).  I took a 68 F and put a J model cowling on it along with the 201 windshield, 201/Ovation cowl deck, new side panels with the NACA ducts, one piece belly, new roof and new ventilation system.    Quite a bit of work.  If I had to choose between rebuilding a 201 cowling and putting in a turbo normalizer v. a Lopresti Cowling, I would go with the 201 cowling and turbo every time.  The Lopresti Cowling is lighter, but I am not sure of its potential longevity as I do not believe there is any metal in it at all, and this is also true of the cowl flaps.  The turbo mod gives you something that the Lopresti cowl will never give you and that is altitude, climb and power at altitude.  The is invaluable.  Makes the older Mooneys very different airplanes.  I would rebuild the J cowling and put money into a turbo.  

John Breda

• Like 1

I would do neither as the return on investment is simply not there. If you want a turbo get a 252. If you want speed and efficiencyget a 201. Investment and Mooney are polar opposites. Do what you want, but V-Ref and reality are completely different. Putting $ into a panel is for you not an investment with return. Putting a lopresti cowl on a vintage Mooney is silly and expensive. I call BS on being a wise investment. 

3 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

Marauder is correct (but it is a 68 not a 67).  I took a 68 F and put a J model cowling on it along with the 201 windshield, 201/Ovation cowl deck, new side panels with the NACA ducts, one piece belly, new roof and new ventilation system.    Quite a bit of work.  If I had to choose between rebuilding a 201 cowling and putting in a turbo normalizer v. a Lopresti Cowling, I would go with the 201 cowling and turbo every time.  The Lopresti Cowling is lighter, but I am not sure of its potential longevity as I do not believe there is any metal in it at all, and this is also true of the cowl flaps.  The turbo mod gives you something that the Lopresti cowl will never give you and that is altitude, climb and power at altitude.  The is invaluable.  Makes the older Mooneys very different airplanes.  I would rebuild the J cowling and put money into a turbo.  

John Breda

I just looked at your gallery, and I'm speechless.  That plane is unbelievable.  I love the johnson bar in the middle of that updated panel.  Very tastefully done.  The johnson bar is the only reason I don't think it's a much newer plane.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

John Breda

John,

Beautiful flying machine you have there! I would like to talk to you about your turbo STC. Which one is it? I am interested. Will it work with a Lopresti cowl?

Mike

Edited by Mooney_Mike