Shock Disks

Thanks for everyones help so far during week 1 of ownership!  I need to come up with a plan for replacing the 1988 era shock disks on my M20C.   

Plan A: Have A&P/IA perform at annual in 6 months.  I will have to rent the tool for him to use - not really a convenient location to do owner assist.

Plan B: Rent tool and do the work myself.  Local field A&P will sign off but will charge about 50% of the cost just to sign off to offset his A&P insurance costs.

Plan C: Find another Mooneyspacer that knows what they are doing and can assist and help find an A&P to sign off.

Plan D: Take it to Mid Atlantic MSC and have them do it.

Plan E: ???

So - anyone out there interested in helping with the job?  Have the tools?  Knows an A&P?  Likes free beer?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Drumstick said:

Thanks for everyones help so far during week 1 of ownership!  I need to come up with a plan for replacing the 1988 era shock disks on my M20C.   

Plan A: Have A&P/IA perform at annual in 6 months.  I will have to rent the tool for him to use - not really a convenient location to do owner assist.

Plan B: Rent tool and do the work myself.  Local field A&P will sign off but will charge about 50% of the cost just to sign off to offset his A&P insurance costs.

Plan C: Find another Mooneyspacer that knows what they are doing and can assist and help find an A&P to sign off.

Plan D: Take it to Mid Atlantic MSC and have them do it.

Plan E: ???

So - anyone out there interested in helping with the job?  Have the tools?  Knows an A&P?  Likes free beer?

Hi Drumstick,

Where in Maryland are you? I am in the Philadelphia area and might be able to help you if you get the tools. I have done these on my own C and I am an IA so I would be happy to help you through it. I built a tool for the nose but I would be hesitant to use it on someone else' airplanes should something happen. The nose requires a lot of force, the mains are easy and can be done without a tool.

Terry

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Hi Drumstick,

Where in Maryland are you? I am in the Philadelphia area and might be able to help you if you get the tools. I have done these on my own C and I am an IA so I would be happy to help you through it. I built a tool for the nose but I would be hesitant to use it on someone else' airplanes should something happen. The nose requires a lot of force, the mains are easy and can be done without a tool.

Terry

Terry - I'm just south of the SFRA.  I will be flying quite a bit to N94 (Carlisle) so maybe I can drop the family off sometime and then shoot over to wherever you are!    This might be a great plan - need to find the tools.

• Like 1

If you are being treated in a fair manner it shouldn't be over $500 labor to change all of the shock discs. Whatever you do secularly to be able to afford to own an airplane probably means you can make more money in that time than the mechanic can with little or no grief on your part. That person has the tools, the skills, the knowledge.

Spruce retails them for $113.85 each and you need 11 of them. I get 7% off of shock discs and would be happy to pass on the savings to any Mooneyspacer.

But do it sooner rather than later. It helps to spread the expenses out over the year and every landing puts stresses on the airframe that would be absorbed better by new shock discs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

If you are being treated in a fair manner it shouldn't be over $500 labor to change all of the shock discs. Whatever you do secularly to be able to afford to own an airplane probably means you can make more money in that time than the mechanic can with little or no grief on your part. That person has the tools, the skills, the knowledge.

Spruce retails them for $113.85 each and you need 11 of them. I get 7% off of shock discs and would be happy to pass on the savings to any Mooneyspacer.

But do it sooner rather than later. It helps to spread the expenses out over the year and every landing puts stresses on the airframe that would be absorbed better by new shock discs.

I think the the only risk to the aircraft for having old shock disks is the possibility of springing a leak in the wet tanks and I think even that is debatable 

• Like 2

When I replaced doughnuts my shock link had a pretty significant groove. See Pics below. Also play close attention for a short sleeve in addition to the regular sleeve (shown below too). The short sleeve may have been added as part of a service bulletin and is likely required again. Mine would not pass the SB without it.

fd401e0c65d3190e9a8baeefa8845e51.jpg

6addca6a83188a12cb82885a42c8abd8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1