Dynon EFIS now approved for M20 as primary OR backup.

cnoe

Does this mean that with a Aspen I could get rid of my vacuum pump?

If you don't need vac for AP then I believe the answer is finally YES.

From the Dynon FAQ:

Can I remove my DG / Vacuum Pump?
If an installed directional gyro is not required equipment per your aircraft’s type certificate, it can be removed (whether or not you are installing a Dynon EFIS). After you remove your DG and install a Dynon EFIS under this STC, your vacuum system may not be connected to any instruments. If this is the case, it can be removed too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't the DG required for IFR flight?  Or does the heading information on the the Dynon count?

I guess I could remove my retractable step and get rid of my vacuum pump going this route once they have an HSI box ready.  Probably easier than trying to get an approval for an off the shelf electric linear actuator.

Now let's get the HSI and the E-mag approved and we would be on a roll.  EAA??? please

I'm submitting my membership this week.:D

• Like 2

For whomever installs this - if it's in an early JK with a short panel or a late model F, can you let us know if it interferes with the engine gauge strip.  I'm afraid there ain't clearance there. 

I guess the logical solution to that problem is an EDM-900 or Insight ;-).

Isn't the DG required for IFR flight?  Or does the heading information on the the Dynon count?
I guess I could remove my retractable step and get rid of my vacuum pump going this route once they have an HSI box ready.  Probably easier than trying to get an approval for an off the shelf electric linear actuator.
Now let's get the HSI and the E-mag approved and we would be on a roll.  EAA??? please
I'm submitting my membership this week.

Aspen replaces the DG.

Dynon is only primary as AI.

Glad  to see the rapid progress in STC'd backup units, but am I the only one who thinks the graphics on the D10A look cluttered and dated?  

Anyway I'm still holding out for a backup unit that also has a CDI/GS display that's cheaper than the L3.  Then the vac system goes the way of the dodo bird...

• Like 1

Glad  to see the rapid progress in STC'd backup units, but am I the only one who thinks the graphics on the D10A look cluttered and dated?  
Anyway I'm still holding out for a backup unit that also has a CDI/GS display that's cheaper than the L3.  Then the vac system goes the way of the dodo bird...

I too applaud the progress we're seeing but without legal AP integration I wouldn't install either of the Dynon units as a primary instrument. But if I already had (or was seriously considering) an Aspen I'd gladly install the D10A as a backup in order to remove the vacuum system.

On 1/24/2017 at 11:28 AM, KSMooniac said:

My STEC 30 doesn't use AI inputs so it is easy for me, but an HSI would need to talk to the a/p of course. Then my vacuum system comes out!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I too have an S-Tec 30 but with the S-Tec ST 180 HSI. It is all electric. That might be an alternative for you to consider which would allow you to remove your vacuum pump if you add the D10A

• Like 1

I too have an S-Tec 30 but with the S-Tec ST 180 HSI. It is all electric. That might be an alternative for you to consider which would allow you to remove your vacuum pump if you add the D10A

Does it require a remote gyro and magnetometer like the king systems?

32 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Does it require a remote gyro and magnetometer like the king systems?

Yes but these are very inexpensive on the used market. If you have the BK HSI it could be sold or even better traded to someone like Alan Fox. I'd think the BK system would have more value than the Stec making a trade realistic. I have a couple of spares I've collected " just in case...." BTW the D10A includes an HSI since it is identical to the experimental version. Don't know if you are legally able to use it in a certified A/C. Their is also an external control module to make it easier to use. Might be worth a call to the company. 

Edited by Cris

It seems like the D10A and the Flightview system are similar in price.   It would be nice if we had a roadmap to see if they are planning on getting an STC for the Flightview system.  It brings the engine monitoring and ADSB equation all more integrated.  Still need an Avadyne or Garmin GPS for certified IFR approaches.

I talked with Dynon sales a couple days ago and they confirmed that the D10A is not "dumbed down" like the Certified version of the G5 is compared to the EAB version of the G5. He made it very clear though that the D10A only officially replaces the AI, not any other instrument. I'm curious if installing the magnetometer requires a 337. It would be nice to get wind data...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1