Trump Hiring Freeze, ATC, FAA?

201er

1 minute ago, 201er said:

I wonder if the Trump federal hiring freeze applies to ATC and the FAA? I'm guessing TSA is exempt based on security personnel exemption. If it applies, would those agencies, and aviation, feel any impact?

..and FAA personel considering STCs, medical waivers, new rules making like medical reform, managing airport maintenance funds, new fuel standards.  A lot will stop if there are fewer people to process, and it is easier to understand what a lot means if we think about just one agency like the FAA and its impact on aviation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alex said:

Everything except military or areas  where public safety is concerned, i.e. air traffic controllers

That might be a case by case call rather than definitive.  I would think air traffic controllers are involved with public safety, but maybe some would say, no they are not.

Just now, alex said:

Everything except military or areas  where public safety is concerned, i.e. air traffic controllers

Do air traffic controllers really fall under that? You could argue that lack of additional controllers would cause delays/edct but not a public safety hazard. Is there even a growing need for additional ATC controllers?

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Not to mention there will almost certainly be a very deliberate work-to-rule action that will slow many things to a crawl in an attempt to show how more people and budget are needed to get things done.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The bureaucratic way. :( Yes the bureaucrats really have the control and the power in the country not the president nor the other politicians.  Look what it took to get Class III reform something the FAA could have done in a month's time or less.  Not very patriotic Americans.  We are paying their salaries to go to work and get their job done.  Do your best with what you have and don't intentionally slow down if anything when you are short handed you speed up the processes to finish up the work and you use all the shortcuts you can legally and ethically use to proceed on.

This is a freeze on hiring new employees like all hiring freezes there will be exceptions for critical positions it happens all the time both public and private.

35 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

There would be a delay regardless of who's in office. The FAA sucks at implementation and project management. They are however quite good at managing the skies.

The FAA will delay their implementation of ADS-B, but there will be no slack nor forgiveness on our equipping by the deadline. Fortunately, I don't go into Bravo airspace (mainly because ATL won't ever let me), and I no longer need access to Charlie. So in keeping the 4AMU in my pocket for other things. Like Sabremech's new cowl!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

The FAA will delay their implementation of ADS-B, but there will be no slack nor forgiveness on our equipping by the deadline. Fortunately, I don't go into Bravo airspace (mainly because ATL won't ever let me), and I no longer need access to Charlie. So in keeping the 4AMU in my pocket for other things. Like Sabremech's new cowl!

Exactly my thoughts.  

Stay below 10,000, stay out of Class B airspace, and if you must enter Class C just get prior permission, then you don't need to comply with ADS-B.  Plus you probably don't need a transponder anymore either!

Put the money in your pocket!

15 minutes ago, glafaille said:

Exactly my thoughts.  

Stay below 10,000, stay out of Class B airspace, and if you must enter Class C just get prior permission, then you don't need to comply with ADS-B.  Plus you probably don't need a transponder anymore either!

Put the money in my cowl. Or in my interior.

25 minutes ago, glafaille said:

Exactly my thoughts.  

Don't forget about the Mode-C veil around the Class B airspace.  My home airport is inside the Detroit Mode-C veil so I got no choice.

19 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Don't forget about the Mode-C veil around the Class B airspace.  My home airport is inside the Detroit Mode-C veil so I got no choice.

Yep that's me too for the SFO bravo as I frequently have to pass through the veil. Plus 10k feet would be tough flying so close to the Sierras and the Cascades. Still have a few years to hold off hoping for more options on what I end up with.

So if you dont equip for adsb, I wonder if the penalty is enforced and if so what it is. I most likely will try to slide by running a adsb portable non-certified box that is if trump doesn't kill it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cousin got screwed once by going to one of those ATC CTI schools that promised a job if the air traffic controller SAT was passed. He did and then the FAA changed their hiring practices and no Oklahoma City for him. So he had to reapply and reapply essentially off the street and took some other version of the ATC SAT. All was finally looking good until... maybe... freeze!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, bonal said:

Yep that's me too for the SFO bravo as I frequently have to pass through the veil. Plus 10k feet would be tough flying so close to the Sierras and the Cascades. Still have a few years to hold off hoping for more options on what I end up with.

If you are over 10,000 feet but less than 2500 feet above the ground then you still don't need ads-b.  However, having to deal with the SFO Bravo will indeed make ADS-B out required for you.

Just now, glafaille said:

If you are over 10,000 feet but less than 2500 feet above the ground then you still don't need ads-b.  However, having to deal with the SFO Bravo will indeed make ADS-B out required for you.

2500 feet is not much room to work with over the mountains if I have a problem.

• Like 2

The Canadian system that is most often used as a model by proponents of privatization. Air traffic control privatization has been successful in Canada with the creation of Nav Canada. The creation of this private and nonprofit organization has reduced costs and has allowed new technologies to be deployed faster due to the elimination of much of the bureaucratic red tape. This has resulted in shorter flights and less fuel usage. It has also resulted in flights being safer due to new technology. Nav Canada is funded from fees that are collected from the airlines based on the weight of the aircraft and the distance flown.

José

nav Canada  sent me a bill for a quarterly subscription for 35$ based on one ifr flight from Dtw to CYGK. Perhaps privatization works well in other countries but here, Greed and "shareholder return" trump the purpose of the agency. All hail the almighty dollar.  Anyone remember the Lockheed Martin FSS disaster? Two hour wait times to speak to a briefer who wasn't a pilot and was reading flip cards to you. 

1 hour ago, Piloto said:

The Canadian system that is most often used as a model by proponents of privatization. Air traffic control privatization has been successful in Canada with the creation of Nav Canada. The creation of this private and nonprofit organization has reduced costs and has allowed new technologies to be deployed faster due to the elimination of much of the bureaucratic red tape. This has resulted in shorter flights and less fuel usage. It has also resulted in flights being safer due to new technology. Nav Canada is funded from fees that are collected from the airlines based on the weight of the aircraft and the distance flown.

José

Nav Canada is not bad, but it is inferior to what we enjoy here in the US.

And it is funded from fees collected from ALL users, not just the airlines.