MOAs

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

You are in a bit of a tight spot, but not impossible.  I still wouldn't fly through a MOA unless ATC confirmed is was not in use.

In your case, you are under Pickett 3 which doesn't start until 4000 MSL.  You can safely depart and fly westbound.  There is a corridor between the Pickett and Farmville MOA's so you can safely fly SW or NE between them.  Top of the Farmville MOA is 5000' so you can safely climb in the corridor to above 5000' and head over the top of Farmville if you want to go west.  If you want to go east, and you don't want to fly around the Pickett MOA's, R6602B runs from 4000 - 11000' and is NOTAM'd active 24 hours in advance so a check of the NOTAM's will let you know if it is cold.  In that case, climb to be above 6602A and fly through 6602B.

In any case, ALL of those areas are controlled by Washington Center on 118.75 so just give them a call to see if they are active before you fly through them.

90% of the time I depart IFR so it's not really an issue.   Also, the local ATC is great about letting us know of any activity.  As a clarification for anyone coming my way, 6602 includes A (0-3999), B (4000-10999) and C up to 17999.  Typically Alpha and Bravo are hot up to 10999 but a half a dozen times a year they light them all up.  What I've never seen is a higher level hot without the lowers hot as well.   Usually, mortars or artillery are the drivers so it makes sense.  Thanks for your comments!

12 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

I fly through the MOAs in Florida pretty regularly, but about a year ago I had an unpleasant experience.  Two Texan IIs did an "intercept" of us while we were flying through the MOA.  Not a real intercept in the sense that we were where we were not supposed to be, but I think an impromptu practice "intercept" from behind and then they broke off and went on their way.  It was unnerving to see them approaching from the rear on the traffic screen and to get the "traffic" alert as they got close.  They passed off our right wing a few hundred feet as they passed.     

Meh, you were just fresh meat and a target of opportunity for them.  You'd be surprised at what they use for "target" practice.....

You play in their sandbox and you takes your chances...you always have a vote in the matter.

Cheers,

Brian

P.S. Not taking anything away from your surprise visit, would have scared the heck out of me too...Fallon NAS is the new "Top Gun" location, so I stay well clear of those MOAs out in my neck of the woods.

On 1/30/2017 at 7:56 AM, Marauder said:

It would be nice if they add in the SUA. Are you guys using the SUA site from the FAA? I have been, especially during pre-flight if I know I need to cross a MOA. Does a pretty good job of showing current and predicted "hot" status.

Site is www.sua.faa.gov

I like the site but I get an error with your link. Looks like they don't have it set up to redirect if you have the "www" in front of it. Try this one:

https://sua.faa.gov

I like the site but I get an error with your link. Looks like they don't have it set up to redirect if you have the "www" in front of it. Try this one:
https://sua.faa.gov

Thanks for pointing that out. I have it bookmarked and never checked to see if the www in front. I'll fix my post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2017 at 8:03 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Likewise in Texas. I'm almost always going through a MOA leaving Austin.

Also Nevada and a huge hunk of Oregon and a Idaho...if you have to be IFR you will be routed arround them if hot..if not the controllers (likely military)try to discourage vfr traffic but if you hold your course they typically route the fast movers away