Traffic Pattern with AOAi, ASI Video

201er

I know a lot of you have been asking to see the relationship between AOAi and ASI so I recorded a video with multiple cameras to look at each. I was a bit sloppy because I was trying to narrate everything I was doing but then my cockpit sound recording failed but the sloppiness from distraction remained. Anyway, I found it interesting to watch again and again while focusing on a single instrument/parameter each time, not something you get to do while flying.

I need to get out and do this again doing a better job so that the points I'm trying to illustrate are more clear, however, even as it is I think it can be seen fairly well that I'm not maintaining any given airspeed at any time. Rather, I fly by angle of attack during all high aoa (slow) portions and by engine settings at low aoa (fast). You will see the airspeed at 120kias on downwind which is what I shoot for but it's more based on the quick go-to power setting of 22 squared at 6-7gph than actually trying to fly the speed. I use the same during the initial phase of instrument approaches. I find that this power setting/speed combination gives me the best maneuverability, control response, wind penetration, maneuvering speed, and comfort while being safe for gear extension. On the other hand, I try to never fly below 110-120kts without the gear down. This builds a habit of requiring putting the gear down to slow down since I don't go below that speed/power without using the gear to slow down. I think this method has been more effective and valuable than use of checklists. It's hard to say for sure, but I think I may have forgotten to do a landing checklist here and there, yet I have never found myself forgetting to put the gear down when I've done a checklist or landed having forgotten to do one.

Anyway for you bored winter desk fliers out there, have fun watching it multiple times with a focus on different elements each time. Watch the airspeed one time, aoai another, the ball for coordination another time. With the GPS view, you can also see the impact of wind on ground speed in different parts of the pattern. Hopefully this video will be interesting and result in some discussion. If you find it helpful, let me know because it's a ton of work to make but with enough encouragement I might have the motivation to work on a better one.

Tell me if you discover any patterns, habits, problems, or consistencies. Let me know how it compares to the way you fly a classic practice pattern.

• Like 2

Something about this video has a warm and fuzzy feeling about it... :)

Nice way to practice the multi-tasking skills that need to occur during the landing phase at 39N.

It would help the instrument scanning challenged if the ASI and the AOA windows were closer together...

The scale of the AOA takes a bit to get used to.  It is maxed out off scale for airspeeds over 80Kias or so?  And gets pretty sensitive on the way towards 60Kias.

And of course my description isn't very good because AOA and Kias are not the same.  Both are a bit challenging to see on the iPad.  Dreary weather and fuzzy focus and a bright reflection add to the challenge..

Thanks for sharing the work.  In the event you are going to reshoot the vid, I know a good burger joint in the neighborhood!

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony I agree I'm not aware of that type of display on the AOA therefore I did not get any type of reference in order to make an informed response. I have one that has colored arrows and a donut when I'm in a safe zone, stay with the blue donut and your basically good. Ive been using it for a few years and find it a valuable tool to use when in the approach to landing phase of flight. I watched the video a few times trying to get a handle on the display.