Anyone hear about Obama missing KPSP and going to KRIV

cliffy

Anyone else hear that Obama tried twice to get into KPSP and had to go missed and go to KRIV instead due to weather?

Willing to bet for them it was 1900/3 for mins Cat D  VOR approach (VFR in reality) but I haven't checked the weather then

The big blue bird couldn't get in on Friday. 

2 minutes ago, Danb said:

hard to believe a gov't airplane transporting the ex-president doesn't have the capability to land when conditions are 900 ovc 

Do you really want to be paying EVEN MORE taxes so that the ex-president could have the luxury of having the newest/most expensive new nav capability to land at his chosen airport instead of on the free ILS 38 miles away?

• Like 2

hard to believe a gov't airplane transporting the ex-president doesn't have the capability to land when conditions are 900 ovc 

You ever look in a government owned vehicle? It is amazing what the "lowest bidder" really means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Danb said:

Wow...So it can't shoot LPV?  Not sure why I find that super surprising...The audio link above was interesting to hear.  Gave some good ideas for holding waiting for the weather to clear.  I've always thought of holding as "punishment"  lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Wow...So it can't shoot LPV?  Not sure why I find that super surprising...The audio link above was interesting to hear.  Gave some good ideas for holding waiting for the weather to clear.  I've always thought of holding as "punishment"  lol.

Not sure about LPV/WAAS capability on that plane. But apparently Palm Springs only offers a single VOR approach or RNP approaches.

https://skyvector.com/airport/PSP/Palm-Springs-International-Airport

The other jets were going around as well. Look at that terrain!

IMG_1267.PNG

• Like 1

If you look at the RNAV approaches both are RNP approaches (GPS LPVs don't apply) and special 

approval is required to shoot these approaches. These are very unusual approaches due to nearby terrain.

The only thing available was the VOR.  Even a Garmin WAAS wouldn't have been useful. 

These approaches when they were designed it was for an airline going in there and no one else at the time.

• Like 1

Four score and seven approaches ago, our ForeFlight fathers brought forth on this website, a new thread, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all Mooney pilots are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a debate, testing whether that this website or any website so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We met on a great thread of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that thread, as a final resting place for those who here gave their opinion that that this website might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this website. The brave pilots, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The internet will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored opinions we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these pilots shall not have opined in vain -- that this website, under Mooney, shall have a new birth of freedom -- that from these honored and that website of the Mooney pilot, by the Mooney pilot, for the Mooney pilot, shall not perish from the Internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 11

5 hours ago, 201er said:

Not sure about LPV/WAAS capability on that plane. But apparently Palm Springs only offers a single VOR approach or RNP approaches.

https://skyvector.com/airport/PSP/Palm-Springs-International-Airport

The other jets were going around as well. Look at that terrain!

Yep, lots of mountains around there. I haven't landed at Palm Springs but did my PPL night XC to Thermal (Jacqueline Cochran) just for the fun of landing below sea level.

This was last Saturday, PSP is on the other side of that 10,834' peak off my right wing. To the north of the pass it climbs quickly to 6,500' with the tallest peak at 11,499'.

20170114_161838.jpg

I fly with 2 encrypted GPS receivers. Very capable machines. But because I control the database and can change things I am not allowed to use it for anything GPS when it comes to IFR. Navigation is strictly SA builders. Has to be VOR/TACAN routing. 

Bot sure on this partciular AF jet but it is true that most of us fly behind better IFR avionics then military aircraft.

But then again my IFR stuff can't do the tactical stuff it was designed for. 

All comes down to priorities. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MB65E said:

I heard the tape, why circle a 747 in mountainous terrain, in the scud, with only a 3kt tail wind? Seems like the ROI was mute. 

Just wondering?

-Matt

Im guessing to have a look from the other direction because there was only a 3 kt tail wind.