Feel like an idiot...fuel selector valve

Well I feel like a real idiot! My overhauled fuel selector valve needed to be adjusted...(the fuel drainer was leaking a little bit). So I asked my AP to look into it. Yesterday I decided that it was a great idea to help... My office was closed because of the inauguration. I cleaned it and I told the AP that I would reinstall the valve. I over tighten the screw on the little cup below the assembly and I broke the valve! Now I need a replacement. Not easy to get the original one! Is their a replacement...???

Luckily I was able to find a used one on eBay...us$ 423... hope it is serviceable.

Anyway, long story short... I tried to help being CB... and now I don't even know what it may cost me...

Oscar

• Like 2

Did I tell you about the one where I was trying to access the accessory belt in my Cayman S and I stripped the torn nut on a trim piece?  So I had to buy tools to get the stripped round head nut out after going all over town to find a "better sized" torx driver...

(That was just the one last week)

Oh yes Oscar I have been "there"....

:)

• Like 2

Don't beat yourself up. You just did a normal thing.

It's in our DNA to turn the screw, nut or bolt  one more time, just to be sure.

And, although we have torque wrenches for nuts and bolts, not yet a torque indicator for the common screwdriver.

Too bad we lost Steve Jobs.

Best,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAVIDWH said:

Don't beat yourself up. You just did a normal thing.

It's in our DNA to turn the screw, nut or bolt  one more time, just to be sure.

And, although we have torque wrenches for nuts and bolts, not yet a torque indicator for the common screwdriver.

Too bad we lost Steve Jobs.

Best,

There are a few options for torque screwdrivers: 

https://www.grainger.com/category/torque-screwdrivers/screwdrivers-and-nutdrivers/tools/ecatalog/N-166c

https://www.wihatools.com/torque-control-drivers-handles-blades/torquecontrol-tools

No need to feel like an idiot, look at it this way, you have an opportunity to buy a new tool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

There are a few options for torque screwdrivers: 

https://www.grainger.com/category/torque-screwdrivers/screwdrivers-and-nutdrivers/tools/ecatalog/N-166c

https://www.wihatools.com/torque-control-drivers-handles-blades/torquecontrol-tools

No need to feel like an idiot, look at it this way, you have an opportunity to buy a new tool.

PORSCHE was having a bad day.  Those screws were sketchy.  Replacements were four bucks and fit perfectly...

• Like 1

If we are talking about the single bolt in the center of the fuel bowl...

My 65C had what looked like a stainless bolt in it. It suffered from a corrosion issue that looked like a bite of an apple right about where the screen was.

As far as breaking things goes...  on my first owner assisted annual, I asked the mechanics if they would mind me helping.  They said I was welcomed to do as much as I was comfortable with.  The chances of me breaking something would far outweigh the the amount of work I would take away from them...

Knowing that, I tried to be as careful as possible when opening and closing things up.  Buying new tools from the truck each year.  I still wrecked a lot of screws, but now I have a fancy left handed drill bit and a handy really thin pair of pliers with a good grip... My powered driver has a torque limit.  My driver bits are bought in bulk..... first and final torque are done by hand.   :)

Fun memories...

Best regards,

-a-

To close the loop. Thanks for the solidarity. I still feel like an idiot, but as it was mentioned before I learned my lesson.

I was able to get a used fuel selector valve. Extremely hard to find. Interestingly the most difficult part to find is not the valve itself (which is already very scare), but the cup that goes over the valve. Luckily mine I still had mine and it was in a good shape. I sent the "new valve" and the cup out to LASAR to get the valve overhauled, and the unit was sent back yesterday and it was installed today. So I am ready to go again. Now I have to find time to go flying... essential task...

• Like 7

This post made me go looking for a torque screwdriver.  Snap-on (and CDI which is also Snap-on) models can be found.  They list for over $200 (actual retail $245) but found a new one 5-40 Ft/lbs, for $114.00.  Looks like a good tool by a good maker.  (CDI is the same tool made for industrial marketing).

John Breda

• Like 1