Throttle Switch for Gear Position

Hank

10” is essentially pulled all the way back... isn’t it?

hardly enough warning to do anything with, at a time that will be so busy the alarm may not even cognitively  register...

Got to love the old documents...  :)

12-13” is typical of a Mooney descending in the traffic pattern...

14-16” is typical of a Mooney at TPA depending on weight and weather conditions... and how much slowing is needed...

So... with 12” there may be some days the gear up warning may only come on final approach...

PP thoughts only not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Honestly, 10" seems to work for me - I work hard and rarely get that horn and when I do, I know immediately what I should probably be doing next.  If it was 12" or 14", I'd probably just work harder.  But I do agree with you - hearing is probably the first thing to diminish during high periods of stress/concentration.

I fly a King Air to keep my wife in shoes - and it (the king air) has both a gear warning light (in the gear handle) and an audible horn - the horn can be muted without the gear down until the flaps are full down - then the only way to mute the warning horn it is to put the gear down.  The light stays on for all low power settings unless the gear is down.  It is possible under some conditions to conduct slow, level flight at L/D max with the gear light on.  Having said all that, in the king air, I personally consider it really bad form to fly around with even the gear handle light on, and certainly not the horn.  Even in a descent.

There are other ways to slow down and/or get configured, as long as you stay ahead of the aircraft.  That goes for both classes of planes I fly.

If you condition yourself to fly around with a warning horn and/or a light on, you will condition yourself to possiblly land with them on, too. 
'Sort of like the whole crying wolf tale.

All of this is just my humble opinion.

I sometimes wish my wife had a mute button, but I'm glad my mooney doesn't. :)

Many Regards!

• Like 1