Throttle Switch for Gear Position

Hank

My gear horn decided it doesn't need to wait until 12" to come on anymore. It varies, but is usually 14-15", although a couple of times it started buzzing around 16", which is totally unacceptable.

Where is the stinking microswitch located??? I've taken apart the throttle quadrant but didn't see it. Today I looked all along the carb and no dice behind it, either. Where is it hiding? For what it's worth, my C is all electric, 1970.

Thanks, ya'll.

Hank, I have never actually seen it, but when you move the throttle in the quadrant, you can hear it clicking.....it must be somewhere close.  Mine is also sometimes less than precise.  When you find it, post pictures!

I thought you ran at full throttle all the time.  I'm surprised you ever hear the horn.  :lol:

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

On the push/pull version, it is an adjustable position switch on the throttle control behind the instrument panel.

I believe, I recall somebody posting photos of the switch and how it was adjusted, And the notch in the rod that had the knob on the end.

Now, how much different would the quadrant be compared to the push / pull version?   

Hope that can help.

Best regards,

-a-

I found the photos here...

Edited by carusoam

I replaced all 3 engine control cables in 2015. On my E the limit switch is mounted on the throttle cable right behind the panel. It might be different on your C but with the engine not running you should hear the LS make as you pull the throttle.

The top cable in the photo below is my old throttle cable. The slot in the sheath is where the LS rides. (I took the pic to send to McFarlane - the bottom new cable came minus the slot. They immediately made a new, correct cable. Fine folks.) 

IMG_20151111_095523234.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Good morning, Bob!

3am on the east coast.  It will be a couple of hours before even Mr Hyett shows up...

Best regards,

-a-

Another insomniac. I probably should be reading one of the books I received for Xmas. NT Wright or John Goldingay ought to do it.

• Like 1

Good morning, Bob!
3am on the east coast.  It will be a couple of hours before even Mr Hyett shows up...
Best regards,
-a-

Another insomniac. I probably should be reading one of the books I received for Xmas. NT Wright or John Goldingay ought to do it.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I replaced all 3 engine control cables in 2015. On my E the limit switch is mounted on the throttle cable right behind the panel. It might be different on your C but with the engine not running you should hear the LS make as you pull the throttle.

The top cable in the photo below is my old throttle cable. The slot in the sheath is where the LS rides. (I took the pic to send to McFarlane - the bottom new cable came minus the slot. They immediately made a new, correct cable. Fine folks.) 

IMG_20151111_095523234.jpg

The cable at the bottom of this pic is the throttle. You can see the leads to the LS. I just noticed that the power boost cable is fitted for a LS to activate a panel light that the ram air door is open but the switch is not installed!

IMG_20170121_154536657[1].jpg

• 1 year later...

Famous last words, but adjusting my gear horn switch will be the last little detail that will have everything tip-top.  That is, of course, until the next little thing comes up.

My switch is like the one at the bottom of the bottom picture in Bob Belvilles post.  The challenge is getting to the four nuts on the back side to hold them while loosening and tightening the screws.  There are air vents and all sorts of things not only in the way, but serve as an abyss for a wrench or nut to fall into.  The nut should only have to be loosened, but there is very minimal room for a wrench.  I haven’t even been able to determine the nuts wrench size.  I think it will be 11/32.  This one might call for the invention of some new curse words, because I don’t think the old ones will be strong enough.

Right now, the throttle is right at 3/4” from being pulled out all the way.  If I can get it loose to adjust it I am thinking I will set it to 3/8” and try it.  Can anyone tell me how far from full rearward their gear horn switch actuated?

3 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I haven’t even been able to determine the nuts wrench size.  I think it will be 11/32.  

The 2 throttle switch nuts are 1/4” on my ‘67 F.  Pulling avionics from the rack may help so you can slide a hand in from the top/middle and the other from below the panel.  

Something will cramp up, guaranteed.