Oil pressure loss ????

Raceclub

Depends on how low. Naturally, as the oil heats up, it becomes thinner and the oil pressure drops. The biggest thing to remember with Continental engines is where the oil pressure transducer is located. On Lycomings (and I think, most other engines), they pick up the oil pressure just past the oil pump, where the pressure is highest. On the Continental, they take it off an oil galley after it has been through the gearings, etc., where the oil pressure is lowest. If a Continental has any oil pressure above yellow, it is not too bad. In my experience, when hot, it will be in the yellow at low RPM and darn near zero at idle. Some of the Continentals in K models have an adjustable oil pressure bypass valve, and some do not.

56 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Depends on how low. Naturally, as the oil heats up, it becomes thinner and the oil pressure drops. The biggest thing to remember with Continental engines is where the oil pressure transducer is located. On Lycomings (and I think, most other engines), they pick up the oil pressure just past the oil pump, where the pressure is highest. On the Continental, they take it off an oil galley after it has been through the gearings, etc., where the oil pressure is lowest. If a Continental has any oil pressure above yellow, it is not too bad. In my experience, when hot, it will be in the yellow at low RPM and darn near zero at idle. Some of the Continentals in K models have an adjustable oil pressure bypass valve, and some do not.

Thank you Don for your input.

Guess it depends on what you call a loss of pressure...

the phrase 'loss of oil pressure' is a bit alarming. This is the phrase that gets used when the engine runs out of oil or a pump fails...

Some additional details would be helpful.

At MS, we have had a K lose oil pressure prior to needing to land.  Something stuck in the quick drain allowed the oil to be pushed overboard.  

It would help some if the question gave the normal level of pressure you expected, the lower level you got and what instrument you were getting your info from.  Ship's oilP gauge or JPI.

Photos also help to really get the feed back you are looking for.

Often, the quality of the answer is related to the way the question gets asked.  it is often better to have too much detail...

for interesting reading, search for the thread regarding turbos, oil cooling, scavenger pump, bearings, turbine,  that kind of thing...

there is also plenty written about viscosity as a function of temperature, choosing the right oil for the season and location, proper winterization/blocking of the oil cooler may be a good idea.

Just trying to be helpful...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

15 hours ago, Raceclub said:

what is the most common cause of Oil pressure Loss Once The Engine Reaches Operating Temperature ????

1979 Mooney M20K  

Turbo 231  

Powered By A TSIO-360-GBcLB  

I take it that this is the airplane that you're considering?

http://www.commonwealthaircraft.com/new-arrivals/1979-mooney-m20k.html

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Guess it depends on what you call a loss of pressure...

the phrase 'loss of oil pressure' is a bit alarming. This is the phrase that gets used when the engine runs out of oil or a pump fails...

Some additional details would be helpful.

At MS, we have had a K lose oil pressure prior to needing to land.  Something stuck in the quick drain allowed the oil to be pushed overboard.  

It would help some if the question gave the normal level of pressure you expected, the lower level you got and what instrument you were getting your info from.  Ship's oilP gauge or JPI.

Photos also help to really get the feed back you are looking for.

Often, the quality of the answer is related to the way the question gets asked.  it is often better to have too much detail...

for interesting reading, search for the thread regarding turbos, oil cooling, scavenger pump, bearings, turbine,  that kind of thing...

there is also plenty written about viscosity as a function of temperature, choosing the right oil for the season and location, proper winterization/blocking of the oil cooler may be a good idea.

Just trying to be helpful...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Thank You,

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

It looks like the last time it was flown any distance was an 11 minute flight on July 2015 from Glen Falls NY to Schenectady, NY. 

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N231JE/history/20150703/1604Z/tracklog

Flight aware only seems to pick me up when I get an instrument clearnce via fss. Never picks up vfr flights or airborne clearances for me. 

-Robert

• Like 2

It's been taken care of for you...

A good K is priced over 100Amus.

A 50amu K is going to be missing a significant amount of something.  If it's the engine, look up overhaul costs...

A 50amu J is usually run-out without any updated radios.

Use caution if you aren't looking for a project.  PPI is highly recommended... 

This explains the oil pressure loss question you started with.  Somebody else reporting an oil pressure loss in an ad for a plane for sale... something is clearly missing, the price is adjusted for it...

Do you want such a steep project?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Flight aware only seems to pick me up when I get an instrument clearnce via fss. Never picks up vfr flights or airborne clearances for me. 

-Robert

First there is an option to see VFR flights if you have an account.

Second I still don't see all, but do see the ones in the busy airspaces along the coast of Florida, but not when I'm flying inland.

Third, I have ADSB so it can associate me with my tail number even if not talking to ATC.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

First there is an option to see VFR flights if you have an account.

Second I still don't see all, but do see the ones in the busy airspaces along the coast of Florida, but not when I'm flying inland.

Third, I have ADSB so it can associate me with my tail number even if not talking to ATC.

Go to flightaware.com and under My Account on Section 6 select Position Only Flights - you will see flights that are not on a flight plan.