New Owner of Old M20C

1/11 Aircraft PPI - Foothills Aviation   Curtis was great to work with and pointed out most things that the owner had already shown me.  Discovered shock disks were older than I thought and some hoses should probably be replaced at next annual.  Alternator or Regulator needed replaced.  KX-155 needs repaired.

1/12 Closed Deal 

1/13 Worked with owner and A&P to replace voltage regulator.   1st flight and checkout with CFI that afternoon.  

1/14 Avionics orientation with previous owner and then first leg of solo ferry IYK-PRC.

1/15 PRC-PVW then PVW-GYI.

1/16 GYI-GSP (VFR to IFR) then GSP-FAY

1/17 FAY-2W6

Lots of discovery learning along the way but otherwise uneventful cross country during the middle of winter and contending with Winter Storm Jupiter.  I'll try to write up a more extensive trip report some time later.

Can't thank the members of this forum enough for the valuable knowledge that is archived on this site.  

Thanks to Pam Roach and Shelly Parker of Bank of Locust Grove.  Mike Jacobs of First Pryority Bank.  Al Nur of AOPA Insurance.  Curtis at Foothills Aviation KCCB. William Hickle Aerospace at KIYK.  Brian Cepaitis (CFI) at Farris Aviation at KIYK.  All the great folks that I met at the FBOs along the way.  Great turns at Legend Aerospace at KPRC.  Super friendly crowd at Rocket Aviation KPVW.   Jaimey was super helpful getting a place to stay at KGYI and the line rats were very patient with a new owner.  Watch out for the fuel prices at KGSP as they have a new owner and the 100LL prices on WingX Pro are wayyyy off.  Lots of Hooah at KFAY.  Lastly - Thanks to Ken Reed at 2W6 who met me plane side within 2 minutes of landing to show me the hangar and a tour of the facility that is now home (again) to 56Q.

I've logged 18 hours in less than a week.  Tons more to learn...

56Q Needs - Little spots of surface corrosion on main landing gear - needs fixed up.  Must find a place that can replace the shock discs at a fair price.  Needs new hinges for nose gear doors.  I would like to find a replacement baggage door arm.  I would like to start replacing hoses that are old and have no date tags but otherwise functional.  Downlock block should probably be replaced as its 52 years old and I would like a little peace of mind that I know its not worn out.  G430 is non-waas but am I really going to be flying in conditions that need 200 foot mins?  And like most...ADS-B in the next few years.

Pics to follow...

IMG_3408.JPG

Edited by Drumstick
  • Like 9

Just now, Wakeup said:

Lasar has the johnson bar block and Don Maxwell has the baggage door arm hinge.   Looking forward to some pics.  Troy 

I replaced my 51 year old down lock block @ this annual. The old one probably was good for year to come but I love the solid click of the new one.

• Like 1

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

Can you have someone get a video next time you go up? I'm wondering if your click is different than mine. I have to wiggle a bit.

I'll take a pic of my old one. The hole is a little egged out and there's a small step worn in the front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Way to go drumstick yes please include some pics. Just wondering if your nick name is from a love of poultry or do you play the drums. Excellent tail of the purchase experience 

The EA-6B was uncommonly referred to as a drumstick with wings...it was the first non-trainer that I ever flew...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Drumstick said:

The EA-6B was uncommonly referred to as a drumstick with wings...it was the first non-trainer that I ever flew...

The Prowlers were effective, but certainly a unique look. I always liked the gold canopies.

• Like 1

Congratulations!  Great way to start ownership with a cross country flight, and it sounds like the airplane performed well.  We hope to see you and the new airplane around the bi-monthly Mooney breakfasts in the area.  Watch out for the email from Seth Meyers with info on those.  Enjoy!

Fernando

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

I'll take a pic of my old one. The hole is a little egged out and there's a small step worn in the front.

I replaced mine about a month ago.  You can hear/feel the click/locking.  It feels 100% secure now.  

• Like 1

Nice review of the steps you took and the people you have met on the good journey.

Somebody around here was making modern aluminum replacements for the hinged door holder opener thing.  Ask, if interested.  Somebody else will remember more of the details than I.

To ascertain the worn-ness of the gear's lock block, snap a photo of the hole while the gear is up in the wings.  A 50 year old block will appear egg shaped and will have a step worn into it.  The original hole was a perfect cylinder shape.  The wear makes the gear feel like it is locked in place. But it won't be...

there is a test for knowing that the gear is down and locked, it is called the thumb nail test. Aside from that, pulling down on the handle without pushing the unlock button is a pretty good test.

This is from old memories of a '65C...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...