New Plane, updating avioncs.

Hey guys, new to the mooney family, should have my bird home in a few weeks!

I'm looking at adding a flightstream 210 so I can upload flight plans to and from my 430W. I was also thinking about a SXAR1 - for Weather up here in canada.

I do have a stratus for when I come south to pick up traffic and previously for weather as well, but I can keep that portable for when I need it.

My question is will foreflight and my ipad pro be happy with a bluetooth connection to both the flightstream and the xm weather?

Or are there some better ideas out there?

Thanks!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kevin Pare said:

Hey guys, new to the mooney family, should have my bird home in a few weeks!

I'm looking at adding a flightstream 210 so I can upload flight plans to and from my 430W. I was also thinking about a SXAR1 - for Weather up here in canada.

I do have a stratus for when I come south to pick up traffic and previously for weather as well, but I can keep that portable for when I need it.

My question is will foreflight and my ipad pro be happy with a bluetooth connection to both the flightstream and the xm weather?

Or are there some better ideas out there?

Thanks!

I am not sure that the 210 would work with your 430w , i have heard many bad comments . The SAXR1 would be your best bet for canadian weather . Normally an ipad would not work reliably with dual bluethooth connection at the same time . some will , some wont . I would not bet on this . 

5 minutes ago, rbridges said:

From what I've seen others post, I think yes to the flightstream.  I don't know what others have said about the XM weather.  BTW, your obligated to post pics of your bird.  

I don't have it home yet, I'll get pics in a few weeks. It's in for the pre purchase inspection on monday.... fingers crossed it all goes good.

Kevin - welcome.  So, has the deal actually gone through, or will the PPI determine that?  Saw your first post, and then "...in for the pre-purchase inspection...", so didn't know if this particular airplane will be yours.  If so, have you thought about any short and/or long-term upgrade goals beyond the Stratus and FS210?  Depending on what your goals (and budget) are, there are plenty of folks here who can help you part with your hard-earned money.  :-)

Appreciate you'll probably be getting some training and getting used to it for a bit, so didn't want to put the cart before the horse.  Again, pictures (inside and out) are encouraged...a rite of passage of sorts.  :-)

Steve

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the welcome.

Purchase agreement has been signed and deposit paid. so we're really close!

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1414849/1981-mooney-m20k-231

So far I have planned to get the JPI upgraded to an 830 EDM, gami injectors, Reiff heater and the flightstream 210.

I don't foresee any problems so it should be mine soon!

8 hours ago, Kevin Pare said:

The 210 is the only flightstream that will work with 430. The 110 is not compatible.

I was hoping someone has tried this!

A buddy of mine just had one hooked up to a 530w and its works... I assume it will be fine with the 430w too 

40 minutes ago, milotron said:

Welcome fellow Canadian M20K owner! Looking at the ASO listing, your plane is very similar to my 81K, including the TKS. Very capable aircraft for the great white north.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. Feels like getting married again lol.

I think i'm going to settle on the EDM-830 vs the EMD-900 mostly because of the fact I have a 700 and JPI fuel flow already so it should be an easy upgrade. seems like the 900 will be much more involved cost much more based on the fact there is an upgrade path fro 700-830.

I still have to put a pre-heater on, gami injectors and the flight stream.

27 minutes ago, Kevin Pare said:

Get the engine monitor installed and run the GAMI lean test first. If your fuel flows are within 1/2 gallon, that is as close as GAMI will get it. If not, install GAMInjectors.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Fine wire spark plugs make a huge difference on that engine as well.

I did this too. Made definite improvements for me over 13,000.  Over $1200 CDN for the plugs alone, but at least you can legally change them yourself.

36 minutes ago, Kevin Pare said:

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. Feels like getting married again lol.

I think i'm going to settle on the EDM-830 vs the EMD-900 mostly because of the fact I have a 700 and JPI fuel flow already so it should be an easy upgrade. seems like the 900 will be much more involved cost much more based on the fact there is an upgrade path fro 700-830.

Make sure the shop inspects the upper deck shrouds on the injectors. I have had ongoing leaks in mine and had all of the O rings and seals replaced this last annual. Not a big issue at low altitudes but really becomes an issue for leaning/roughness above 8,000 or so.

25 minutes ago, milotron said:

Make sure the shop inspects the upper deck shrouds on the injectors. I have had ongoing leaks in mine and had all of the O rings and seals replaced this last annual. Not a big issue at low altitudes but really becomes an issue for leaning/roughness above 8,000 or so.

ok, this is good to know, i think most of my flying will be from 8000-10000!

Just now, teejayevans said:

I thought GAMIs minimum is 1/2 gallon, many get much better, I know I do, but only have 4 cylinders.

You are right. You may get closer than 1/2 gallon with GAMIs. If so, you spent your money well. If you buy them and they are more than 1/2 gallon off, GAMI will redo them. If they are within 1/2 gal, they won't.

Kevin do yourself a favor and don't get the inspection done at the local MSC here.  They did mine, I even told them what to look for, came back 100%, tank reseal required, oxygen tank timed out requiring a new one, donuts out of spec, new ones required, 20k in the first year.  Read the form here on LOP operation, your new plane will thank you for doing so, I think you may have looked at my plane in the process of buying yours, I had it for sale awhile ago.